Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tenant Dilemna

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do the decent thing and stick with the present tenant.

I would agree there are loads of ways anything different could go wrong.

And there are good reasons to have a letting agent look after things, to save you the bother.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'd look at the contract first. If you have no right to serve notice then he should stay until August. If you have the right then i would serve notice but only if the other tenants need to move in before August.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Avoid using agents; they provide absolutely nothing, even if you do live remotely. If your tenant has a problem that needs fixing, it can always be sorted by a quick yell.co.uk search and sending round a local tradesman, or by them getting someone in and sending you the bill. An agent will just use their so-called approved tradesman or suppliers, who will charge a premium rate becuase they know they can get away with it.

ASTAs and inventories are a piece of piss to draw up, and references are easy to obtain via various on line sources. Why pay an agent 10% a month to transfer rent from their account to yours? PM me for any questions. I'll even advise the Palace fans; although they've probably burnt their 2nd properties down.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
£580 a month to live up north?? ....really

£670 per month less agents fees. This is for a brand new 3 bedroom semi. It cost only £145K.
We have an assured short hold tenancy which allows the tenant to give one months notice before moving out, and we have to give him 2 months notice to leave.
The current rent pays the mortgage. I'm a basic rate tax payer.

I think I'll talk to our tenant over the weekend and try and see what he wants. I hadn't previously considered that it may well suit him to move out. If he wants to stay I'll leave him in place and maybe increase his rent by £30 pm.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doing it yourself only works if you are local and have good relationships with local tradesmen.

Nonsense about being local. Just the tradesmen are important.

We have a house in Derby and have had just 2 tenants in 5 years. No agent apart from initial finding service. Works just fine with a tame plumber and electrician to call on when we need them.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I've always done it myself and never used agents, but mine are local and I can sort anything out myself. Would let an agent deal with it if it was a distance away.

As a side note , I'm surprised this thread hasn't been hijacked by lefties on here calling you a parasite! :tantrum:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Personally I wouldn't rent to a friend. Makes it very awkward if there are any disputes, which are inevitable in a landlord/tenant relationship. Also think given the distance involved you need the agent to be dealing with stuff.

Could you out the rent up a little for the doctor, to bridge the gap and make it a non issue? You would think a doctor could afford a bit more.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You dont mention a tenancy agreement. Dont you have a TA in place that terminates at a preset time? If you do, there is nothign you can do legally, but, again, a conversation might elicit whether he wants out.

You might want to re-write your TA if there is no cancellation clause for either party in it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Avoid using agents; they provide absolutely nothing, even if you do live remotely. If your tenant has a problem that needs fixing, it can always be sorted by a quick yell.co.uk search and sending round a local tradesman, or by them getting someone in and sending you the bill. An agent will just use their so-called approved tradesman or suppliers, who will charge a premium rate becuase they know they can get away with it.

ASTAs and inventories are a piece of piss to draw up, and references are easy to obtain via various on line sources. Why pay an agent 10% a month to transfer rent from their account to yours? PM me for any questions. I'll even advise the Palace fans; although they've probably burnt their 2nd properties down.

100% this. It still amazes me anyone is stupid enough to pay agent fees.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Firstly, thank you to those who have taken the time to comment, it has helped me clarify my thoughts.
It's helped me realise we should do the decent thing and be treated as we would wish to be treated if things were the other way round.
I've told the 'new' interested people that we feel uncomfortable about asking our existing tenant to leave earlier than he planned, even though the possible newbies wish to stay longer and would pay us more rent.
I've written to our existing tenant to thank him for looking after our house so well and that if he wishes to stay after our current tenancy agreement expires in July that we will likely increase his rent slightly and will deal directly with him.

I'm sure there is no perfect answer, but after reflection I feel comfortable with this course of action. Thanks again NSC.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I've written to our existing tenant to thank him for looking after our house so well and that if he wishes to stay after our current tenancy agreement expires in July that we will likely increase his rent slightly and will deal directly with him.

This is a good thing BUT be aware that the letting agent will try and persuade you that as they got you the tenant you can't get rid of them ( the agent ). It is of course rubbish. You need to invoke the cancellation term in your contract with them. They will probably refuse at which point say 'tough' and see you in court.

Alternatively, just lie and say the tenant is leaving and that you will rent the property privately from now on. You may need to get the tenant on side for this one but normally a swift £50 in crisp £10 notes tends to deal with this.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Kick him out and drive down to the nearest ferry port. You'll have the gaff full of Poles by noon.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
news-graphics-2008-_439753a.jpg
???

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
While you have received good advice from fellow posters, bear in mind that as far as the legal position is concerned, Scottish Law may differ from the Law in the rest of the UK.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As you have said you would feel uncomfortable giving the existing tenant 2 months notice and forcing him to leave 3 months earlier. Unless you are wanting to sell the property, I think it is only fair to let the tenant see out his his agreement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here