Teenagers Perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Great post by the thread starter.

I do sometimes think that us 'oldies' (mid forties) need to give a lot of praise to the teenagers supporting the Albion. People my age started supporting the Albion on the way up, 76,77,78,79,80 and the glory of 83, we know just how good it can be and might be again. That is what helps us to keep the faith.

Today's 18 year old really has to have been indictrinated to have the same love of their local club as we do. It must be so much easier to go with the 'in' crowd and support the Premiershite. We really should appreciate their individuality and strong mindedness.

My mate's son, now 10 or 11, has been supporting the Bindippers for the last three years, much to my and his father's dismay. He does follow Brighton but only because of our encouragement. We are now resting our hopes on away at Notts County, maybe 7k away fans, a trophy, the league title and a new ground to change his priorities. Otherwise all will be lost after that:facepalm:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm in the "Mature Citizen" category and often wonder what these no-games-a-season fantasy-football and highlights-watchers people of any age really get from following a premiership team. Feelings on performances are guided by sky sports news and the commentators who tell you who's playing well one game and the slow-motion high definition replays that we're informed are the specialest moments.
At my work, in Londinium, i had to persuade one hardcore Arsenal fan to buy his first ticket for a game at the Emirates last month. That's just ridiculous. Who falls in love with something they've never been near? It's like adoring the workmanship of the Mona Lisa without ever having been to the Louvre. Only in the company of works of art can you feel the delicacy and layeredness of its sublime construction.

I was the ONLY Brighton fan in my year at school, got the piss taken out of me for "supporting a gay team", "supporting a shit team". When people asked me who I supported I said Brighton, then they reply "No, what Premiership team", but now some of my friends are coming out and saying they might get a season ticket next season, this pisses me off. I've always have been/always will be a proud Brighton fan whether they are good or shit, the same can't be said about a lot of the 'fans' we will get in the next few years.

I understand your feelings, but it's up to people just like you to encourage these new fans if we are to fill Falmer and generate the revenue to go forward. i appreciate it's almost like giving your best mate to someone else but its the only way.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
It is just me or am I seeing more Albion shirts on kids around town!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:albion1:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Great post.

I know the feeling of being the only Brighton fan at school. Being bought up in palace country I thought of myself as a brighton and manchester united fan. My dad worked abroad and therefore I didnt get to any live matches so checked the Brighton results on teletext and watched the man utd highlights on mat h of the day. When I was around 12 I got bored of all the glory huntig jibes (from Chelsea and arsnal 'fans') and convetrated solely on the Albion. I teamed up with the only Cardiff fan in the school and we alternated heading to Ninian and withdean.

Now in my 10th year of properly supporting the Albion and 23rd of following and I couldn't love this club more. The ups the downs and everything that goes with them. I've moved to Reading and had a season Ticket until my son was born in December 2009 and of course he has his first Albion kit in the wardrobe for his first birthday. I would love it if he supported brighton from birth but I know even if it takes a few years, he will see the light of the Albion!

Stewart96

Banned
Jul 28, 2010
I'm a teenager and I go to school here in Brighton, I'm probably the only Albion fan in our class and one of about 20 in our year group (over 270 kids)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports