Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Teenager stabbed to death in Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, they are if they are stopped and searched, but you can't stop and search everyone,.

The one a lad from Horsham and a lad from Worthing were arrested for?
Why some worry about Crawley infecting the rest of Sussex with violence and crime when it's already there and always has been, is baffling to me.

I meant the ripple effect of knife crime spreading from London over the last 10 years.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...rime in the home,than 1,000 per cent increase.

We've seen street stabbing murders occurred in other Sussex towns such as Crawley, I wondered when the epidemic would hit here.

NOT an attack on Crawley.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was going to say the same. Obviously this case is a tragedy but there's always been violent crime.

2 immediate examples from my youth spring to mind. One lad got into some shit with some older teens/20 sths. Long story short, he found himself tied to a chair and they put a blow torch on him. This was Lewes in the 90s and he was 14.

Another incident, and this was just over 20 years ago in Brighton, an 18 year old got home from the pub and was bundled inside by 2 blokes in balaclavas. He got smacked about a bit with a gun and they put an iron to his flatmate's foot. Grim.

I could go on.

Obviously, I'm avoiding giving too many details but we can't pretend the world used to be safer.
Yes. and my post above was obviously facetious. No doubt it will reel a few of the usual suspects in. "Why don't they make stiffer sentences for carrying knives" etc. <sigh>

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shocking really especially if you have kids that age which I do. Sooner drugs are decriminalised the better as all you will get is a gangland culture of exploitation and ruined lives if they aren't. The war on drugs was lost a long time ago and we don't have politicians honest enough to admit it
With respect, how do you know this was a drug crime? My money is on some fragile nob doing what he imagines he is supposed to do when disrespected. But we don't know, do we?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Utter shite TV like “top boy” is helping to make this stuff seem ‘normal’ to our teenagers. Producers and actors need to take a look at themselves, as should the media channels pedaling this tosh.
Anyone caught carrying a weapon needs to go away for 5 years minimum, zero tolerance. Anyone providing said weapon, including online selling, should get 10.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The lanes are gridlock btw, 40mins in traffic, avoid area at all costs

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Utter shite TV like “top boy” is helping to make this stuff seem ‘normal’ to our teenagers. Producers and actors need to take a look at themselves, as should the media channels pedaling this tosh.
Anyone caught carrying a weapon needs to go away for 5 years minimum, zero tolerance. Anyone providing said weapon, including online selling, should get 10.

Having seen every episode of Top Boy, I'm struggling to remember any stabbings. The only incident that comes to mind is a woman murdering an abusive partner. Not sure how that relates to a teenager dying in Brighton.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
With respect, how do you know this was a drug crime? My money is on some fragile nob doing what he imagines he is supposed to do when disrespected. But we don't know, do we?
It was drugs related. The deceased was the same year as my daughter and everyone her age in Brighton knew him it seems, and his girlfriend. RIP.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I understand what you’re saying but males will fight each other. Whether they have facilities to use etc, certain boys/men like to fight. Unfortunately now the kids are using knives as there is certainty of victory and the male ego not being crushed by losing s fist fight (which is pathetically what it comes down to).

I’m no Tory in fact far from it but I would build more prisons for these type of offences. We can’t allow the knife to be the norm as the gun is the norm in America. And I know people will say it hasn’t helped over there BUT at least it gets these people off the street and can provide a deterrent.

Knife crime isn’t a new phenomenon.

Scotland have already shown that the way to tackle knife crime isn’t with tougher sentences.

www.theguardian.com/membership/2017/dec/03/how-scotland-reduced-knife-deaths-among-young-people

There will be a significant amount of the people who carry a knife who aren’t doing it because they want to stab someone, they’re doing it because they’re scared. A 14 year old who is scared for his life isn’t going to care if you make carrying a knife a 40 year sentence when in their mind not having it is a death sentence.

Tougher sentencing just means more working class/impoverished kids born in to a bad environment are going to spend their life in and out of jail. However it’s an easier (and a much more profitable) approach then what actually needs doing - which is challenging inequality, improving the quality of mental health care, reforming drug control etc etc etc.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It was drugs related. The deceased was the same year as my daughter and everyone her age in Brighton knew him it seems, and his girlfriend. RIP.
What school?
Tragic waste of a young kids life whatever the reason. ☹️

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I understand what you’re saying but males will fight each other. Whether they have facilities to use etc, certain boys/men like to fight. Unfortunately now the kids are using knives as there is certainty of victory and the male ego not being crushed by losing s fist fight (which is pathetically what it comes down to).

I’m no Tory in fact far from it but I would build more prisons for these type of offences. We can’t allow the knife to be the norm as the gun is the norm in America. And I know people will say it hasn’t helped over there BUT at least it gets these people off the street and can provide a deterrent.
The problem with this is that crime is off-the-scale in the US with extremely high rates of incarceration, whereas where sentencing isn't more lenient -- eg Scandi countries -- crime levels are very low.
A question: if you knew it was counter-productive (ie it would lead to more knife-carrying, crime, etc), would you still advocate longer sentencing?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I meant the ripple effect of knife crime spreading from London over the last 10 years.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-knife-crime-rate-surge-home-counties-surrey-2023-hp25hxlx7#:~:text=Knife crime in the home,than 1,000 per cent increase.

We've seen street stabbing murders occurred in other Sussex towns such as Crawley, I wondered when the epidemic would hit here.

NOT an attack on Crawley.
Drugs, gangs and violence, emanating from London, hit Brighton about 150 years ago, when the train line opened, and Crawley was a 2 horse village.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK.

And I agree the thread should be taken down.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
The problem with this is that crime is off-the-scale in the US with extremely high rates of incarceration, whereas where sentencing isn't more lenient -- eg Scandi countries -- crime levels are very low.
A question: if you knew it was counter-productive (ie it would lead to more knife-carrying, crime, etc), would you still advocate longer sentencing?
No. But I don’t think it would be counter productive. How could it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here