Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Teenager stabbed to death in Brighton.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Awful news. So sad for the boy and the family. Really hard comprehend this happening, especially in broad daylight on a road used by so many at that time.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Terrible news - not what you expect in Brighton. I wonder if the people involved were local or were from outside Brighton. RIP

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
every lose of life, agreed.

Eh, the boy lost his life in Brighton, what’s Crawley got to do with anything.
I'm assuming it's in relation to the kid being stabbed in Crawley the other week.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Maximum sentence under current legislation is 4 years, so not exactly far off.
But is it ever carried to the maximum ? Also, that’s 2 years with good behaviour. 5 year minimum and longer for previous knife offenders.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I think he means a decent deterrent. I’d say 5 years for carrying a knife.
Isn't pretty much all the evidence that deterrents don't really work? And that actually having activities and projects and just stuff for kids to do without a financial hurdle really does help?
Of course both police numbers and every program that can in any way be described as being nice to people has been cut. And if you did get them to a jail it's an overcrowded asylum and the chances of them coming out less disturbed and violent are vanishingly small..
If you were really cynical you'd note that it's relatively easy for private equity to extract cash from prison and probation services and pretty hard to extract profit from odd groups of well meaning people renting a church hall of an evening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
People should be arrested for even carrying knives walking along a street.
Well, they are if they are stopped and searched, but you can't stop and search everyone,.
I'm assuming it's in relation to the kid being stabbed in Crawley the other week.
The one a lad from Horsham and a lad from Worthing were arrested for?
Why some worry about Crawley infecting the rest of Sussex with violence and crime when it's already there and always has been, is baffling to me.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Isn't pretty much all the evidence that deterrents don't really work? And that actually having activities and projects and just stuff for kids to do without a financial hurdle really does help?
Of course both police numbers and every program that can in any way be described as being nice to people has been cut. And if you did get them to a jail it's an overcrowded asylum and the chances of them coming out less disturbed and violent are vanishingly small..
If you were really cynical you'd note that it's relatively easy for private equity to extract cash from prison and probation services and pretty hard to extract profit from odd groups of well meaning people renting a church hall of an evening.
I understand what you’re saying but males will fight each other. Whether they have facilities to use etc, certain boys/men like to fight. Unfortunately now the kids are using knives as there is certainty of victory and the male ego not being crushed by losing s fist fight (which is pathetically what it comes down to).

I’m no Tory in fact far from it but I would build more prisons for these type of offences. We can’t allow the knife to be the norm as the gun is the norm in America. And I know people will say it hasn’t helped over there BUT at least it gets these people off the street and can provide a deterrent.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why some worry about Crawley infecting the rest of Sussex with violence and crime when it's already there and always has been, is baffling to me.

I was going to say the same. Obviously this case is a tragedy but there's always been violent crime.

2 immediate examples from my youth spring to mind. One lad got into some shit with some older teens/20 sths. Long story short, he found himself tied to a chair and they put a blow torch on him. This was Lewes in the 90s and he was 14.

Another incident, and this was just over 20 years ago in Brighton, an 18 year old got home from the pub and was bundled inside by 2 blokes in balaclavas. He got smacked about a bit with a gun and they put an iron to his flatmate's foot. Grim.

I could go on.

Obviously, I'm avoiding giving too many details but we can't pretend the world used to be safer.

Shocking really especially if you have kids that age which I do. Sooner drugs are decriminalised the better as all you will get is a gangland culture of exploitation and ruined lives if they aren't. The war on drugs was lost a long time ago and we don't have politicians honest enough to admit it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They are.
But whatabout stop and search, and profiled targetting? I'm assuming the stabber was obviously black. Bingo! Problem solved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here