Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ted Lasso sacked by Leeds

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Andoni Iraola is definitely on our list as a future manager whenever RDZ gets stolen away - maybe someone had a little whisper in his ear about not jumping at the first PL job he can and to wait for a more stable club with a vision for the future.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I haven’t looked on WACCOE since the whole Ben White saga (and I was one of the many who got banned for speaking out) but have any of them had the audacity to suggest RDZ or have they finally realised we are now light years ahead of them and that he wouldn’t be interested?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
This is desperate stuff from Saints. Must have been limited interest. No matter how you dress it up, sacking your manager because you're in a relegation battle & then hiring another manager who has been sacked from a rival team in a similar situation as recently as last week is baffling behaviour. I'd say there's much more quality in the Leeds team that Marsch was unable to get a tune out of than there is in this Southampton side.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jesse is unbelievably now 1/4 to be next Southampton manager! Leeds next home match is of course vs Southampton...
If Southampton appoint Ted, then they deserve to be relegated. This whole managerial merry go round annoys me. It's not that Ted is or isn't useless, it's just incredibly lazy of them just to pick up a recent cast off.

The sort of laziness that has cost Everton £600m and probably their top flight status.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If Southampton appoint Ted, then they deserve to be relegated. This whole managerial merry go round annoys me. It's not that Ted is or isn't useless, it's just incredibly lazy of them just to pick up a recent cast off.

The sort of laziness that has cost Everton £600m and probably their top flight status.
Laziness is exactly right. Brighton will have a list of 20 managers who could potentially step in for RDZ if he leaves, so for a club to sack there manager and look no further than one thats also recently been sacked from a rival team is such bad planning.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I haven’t looked on WACCOE since the whole Ben White saga (and I was one of the many who got banned for speaking out) but have any of them had the audacity to suggest RDZ or have they finally realised we are now light years ahead of them and that he wouldn’t be interested?
Just been on (it is beyond parody, that site). Anyway they have a poll for next manager which has Poch as clear favourite (40%), followed by the return of Bucketman (23%). RDZ wasn't an option amongst 15 choices (including "other"). Only read the last few pages of the 1,041 page thread (I shit you not) but no mention of our beloved Bobby DZ, just a whole bunch of Northern in-fighting. They seemingly hate each other nearly as much as "outsiders". Funny lot, the Champions of Europe...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
A few journalists think Leeds will now go for an interim manager until the summer. There may well be more choice for the job in the summer, but an interim manager til then doesnt fix the problem of them being in a relegation battle. They still need an interim who is capable enough of keeping them up. After all their big club talk, and the whole Ben White saga, them getting relegated would be delicious.
The great thing is that the interim manager pool is really polluted. Benitez? Bruce? Hockaday? Jones? Pards?. No one decent out of a job that hasn't already turned them down

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Has a manager ever had a role to play in two teams getting relegated in the same season?
Billy McNeill managed both Man City and Aston Villa in the 86-87 season, both were relegated.

The next season Dave "Harry" Bassett went one better by being in charge of sides to be relegated from two different divisions. He started the season at top flight Watford, but after being sacked by them he went to Sheff Utd who were in the second division, they were relegated to the third flight via the old play off system.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sack Jones appoint Marsch. I believe stand ups call that a topper. Portsmouth fans are probably in need of a good laugh.

Marsch managed Leeds for 32 EPL games, Won 8 and Drew 9: a total of 33 points. That's a ppg that would give you 39 points over the season which might just miss the drop, but it would be close. However half of those wins came last season when he still had Phillips and Raphina. He sold those two players for €108m and spent €145.59m on ten players who between them have contributed 6 EPL goals this season. His ppg for 22/23 dropped to 0.9, or the equivalent of 34 points over a whole season. They won two out of their first three games and have since won two from seventeen.

Oh but Southampton are appointing him because of his record before Leeds. Are they?

20 games in charge of RB Leipzig 1.25ppg - His predecessor Julian Nagelsmann had 1.94ppg. His successor Marco Rose has 2.23ppg

But he won two titles in Austria with RB Salzburg and had a ppg of 2.18. - Marco Rose preceeded him there and had a 2.35ppg. Matthias Jiassle has suceeded him and has 2.28ppg.
But he won two doubles: - RB Salzburg have won the Austrian Bundesliga 13 times out of the last 15 years. They were second twice. They have won the Cup 9 times out of the last 11 seasons, coming runner up once and going out in the semis once. Since 2011/12 they've won the double 9 times in 11 seasons.

Marsch is a prime example of the Peter Principal. He got locked into the Red Bull organisation with RB New York and has been moved around their clubs until they realised that he was out of his depth. He's been coasting on the coat-tails of football's belief that everything Red Bull turns to gold. Even when the evidence is obvious that he is unable to do more than not fall off an odds on favourite.

Southampton are replacing Nathan Jones, a manager who did well in the Championship, but was a disaster in the EPL with a manager who, when he is relegated to the Championship, will have absolutely no idea how to cope. He talks like he thinks a manager should, but he really has no clue whatsoever.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Laziness is exactly right. Brighton will have a list of 20 managers who could potentially step in for RDZ if he leaves, so for a club to sack there manager and look no further than one thats also recently been sacked from a rival team is such bad planning.

Well tbf, when they appointed Jones they did have a list of managers and he was their #1.

Now they are in such a mess that no in-demand manager would want the Saints job, so they are likely just bringing in someone for the sake of replacing Jones.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Sack Jones appoint Marsch. I believe stand ups call that a topper. Portsmouth fans are probably in need of a good laugh.

Marsch managed Leeds for 32 EPL games, Won 8 and Drew 9: a total of 33 points. That's a ppg that would give you 39 points over the season which might just miss the drop, but it would be close. However half of those wins came last season when he still had Phillips and Raphina. He sold those two players for €108m and spent €145.59m on ten players who between them have contributed 6 EPL goals this season. His ppg for 22/23 dropped to 0.9, or the equivalent of 34 points over a whole season. They won two out of their first three games and have since won two from seventeen.

Oh but Southampton are appointing him because of his record before Leeds. Are they?

20 games in charge of RB Leipzig 1.25ppg - His predecessor Julian Nagelsmann had 1.94ppg. His successor Marco Rose has 2.23ppg

But he won two titles in Austria with RB Salzburg and had a ppg of 2.18. - Marco Rose preceeded him there and had a 2.35ppg. Matthias Jiassle has suceeded him and has 2.28ppg.
But he won two doubles: - RB Salzburg have won the Austrian Bundesliga 13 times out of the last 15 years. They were second twice. They have won the Cup 9 times out of the last 11 seasons, coming runner up once and going out in the semis once. Since 2011/12 they've won the double 9 times in 11 seasons.

Marsch is a prime example of the Peter Principal. He got locked into the Red Bull organisation with RB New York and has been moved around their clubs until they realised that he was out of his depth. He's been coasting on the coat-tails of football's belief that everything Red Bull turns to gold. Even when the evidence is obvious that he is unable to do more than not fall off an odds on favourite.

Southampton are replacing Nathan Jones, a manager who did well in the Championship, but was a disaster in the EPL with a manager who, when he is relegated to the Championship, will have absolutely no idea how to cope. He talks like he thinks a manager should, but he really has no clue whatsoever.
I like him.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I think Lasso might well get the Freedom of Liverpool on the back of this, he’s left a shit show at Elland Road and dirty Leeds in a tailspin they will do well to get out of, and then his arrival at St Mary’s effectively guarantees relegation for the Saints.

So potentially he’s covered 2 out of the 3 spots, it only needs for Gary O’Neill to continue drowning at Dean Court and Everton escape for another 12 months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here