Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams representing more than one town...

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Debatable apparently.

The name did exist on maps long ago and the club were formed after meeting in Port Vale House.

So a bit like Crystal Palace - except the name DID get used to name an area of South London.

Does "Everton" exist as a place anymore ? Don't think it does.

So (I think) Arsenal is the only team with a name that doesn't strictly relate to an historical place - since they've dropped the Greenwich bit.

What about Hibernian?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Debatable apparently.

The name did exist on maps long ago and the club were formed after meeting in Port Vale House.

So a bit like Crystal Palace - except the name DID get used to name an area of South London.

Does "Everton" exist as a place anymore ? Don't think it does.

So (I think) Arsenal is the only team with a name that doesn't strictly relate to an historical place - since they've dropped the Greenwich bit.

Everton exists as a suburb of Liverpool, though Liverpool FC is closer than Everton FC.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Redbridge is a borough of London, it gets confusing as Dagenham merged with Redbridge Forest, who originally resulted from a merger between Walthamstow and Ilford. The Redbridge in the FA Cup changed their name to Redbridge a couple of years ago, from Ford United, essentially the works team from the Dagenham factory. Phew.

You beat me to it, but left out Leytonstone!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Notts County?

Hmmm, my first thought was "does Barnham Seagull understand the question?"

But, yes, I guess they can claim to represent ALL the towns in the county?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I believe in England they are the only club without a place to their name.

[Edit] Pro club I meant.

Forest Green play in the village of Nailsworth...Forest Green itself is little more than a housing estate on the edge of the village.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Forest Green play in the village of Nailsworth...Forest Green itself is little more than a housing estate on the edge of the village.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but what I meant was the 4 main divisions.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yeah but, no but, yeah but what I meant was the 4 main divisions.

They are still a professional football club though.

I was trying to think of a Scottish club who don't share their name with the place they play, can't remember their name but sure that they play in Fife.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
apart from the detail that they've dropped the Woolwich part, theres no place called "Arsenal".

(if we do clubs that dont have a real place name, Arsenal would be first to mind)

Tis true, but there are still people around that still call them by their original name, but they also represent a part of North London. Very spurious I know, but I couldn't really think of any others.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Which that 30's manager they had ... forget his name... Herbert..., persuaded a change to the name although it still has the original name underneath. Gillespie Road?

While the tube station was named after the club, the process still fits within your original term 'a place to their name'.

They are still a professional football club though.

I was trying to think of a Scottish club who don't share their name with the place they play, can't remember their name but sure that they play in Fife.

St Johnstone play in Perth.

Woolwich Arsenal is a definite place - now redeveloped as housing and civic buildings. The original team played in Plumstead, where some of the terracing from the Invicta ground survives in the back garden of an Edwardian house. Herbert Chapman seized the opportunity to re-locate to Highbury in around 1913, much to the annoyancer of the board of Tottenham Hotspur.

Herbert Chapman managed Arsenal between 1925 and 1934.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here