East Wales

Stockdale

Bruno-Greer-Dunk-Calderon

Murphy-Stephens-Kayal-March

Wilson-Zamora

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Could we potentially see Solly March go into a more defensive role like he did when VLP came on against Charlton and have Murphy and VLP on the wings?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Need Zamora on the pitch so we have an outlet who can hold the ball up and take pressure off if we're under the cosh. Big fan of Hemed but he's not strong enough at holding the ball up, weaker than BZ, Murray and Ulloa in that area.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
Agreed, but he looked poor against Brentford last time he played, hopefully he's progressed in the development squad. As a left back you'd have thought he'd have got his chance by now if CH thought he could do a job.

to be fair to the lad he was left woefully exposed time after time that day,he had no protection with the winger and full back overlaping. Bong would have looked bad that day.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
to be fair to the lad he was left woefully exposed time after time that day,he had no protection with the winger and full back overlaping. Bong would have looked bad that day.

Hope you are right but he looked slow, and distribution was poor.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably, did he play against us last season?

He played against in the last couple of season not sure if it was Rotherfham last tear or Bournemouth in the season before., He played for a number of teams we have played in the last 10 years but not sure which ones he actually played against in, but seen him number of times. He is a good keeper.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
At the end of the day they are going to target the left hand side so play chicksen but give him some help. Done the right way we could be very dangerous on the break

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At the end of the day they are going to target the left hand side so play chicksen but give him some help. Done the right way we could be very dangerous on the break

If they do target our left hand side I think it will be because all their midfielders are right footed, like ours.

And Warnock for them at left back is not great stakes in the speed department. It could be that the Albion are quicker all through our side.

Russell and Tom Ince are both left footed so if if they play on the right they may cut in which may be that Calderon is a better bet. But with Christie overlapping, Chicksen might be best.

Teams seem evenly matched so it may be down to tactics.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If they do target our left hand side I think it will be because all their midfielders are right footed, like ours.

And Warnock for them at left back is not great stakes in the speed department. It could be that the Albion are quicker all through our side.

Russell and Tom Ince are both left footed so if if they play on the right they may cut in which may be that Calderon is a better bet. But with Christie overlapping, Chicksen might be best.

Teams seem evenly matched so it may be down to tactics.

Correction: I think Bradley Johnson is left-footed. Derby are a better balanced side than the Albion. Case for Forster-Caskey for the Albion, although a bit lightweight in my book?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'd play Chicksen LB for the simple reason he's a natural LB with pace and Calde, as much as I love him, is a RB without pace. Ince will crucify him. Whoever plays LW will need to work hard to help out defensively down that flank, whoever plays there.

I'd probably leave it unchanged for the rest of the team - using Wilson's pace (along with March & Murphy) to stretch Derby down the flanks and in behind, creating pockets of space for Bobby & the midfield.

Would be understandable if CH went 451 with Crofts/Ince in for Wilson, but it'd be a negative move and this season he's generally made some brave selections. We're worrying about them because of our lack of depth at full back - but let them worry about us too going forward. The best form of defence is attack.

I'm wondering if he might do something totally different and go 3-6-1 and totally saturate the midfield

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I speculated last weekend that Hughton could do something we don't all expect and go Chicksen LB and put Calde in front of him in left midfield if he thinks the Derby threat down that side is so significant.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Correction: I think Bradley Johnson is left-footed. Derby are a better balanced side than the Albion. Case for Forster-Caskey for the Albion, although a bit lightweight in my book?

You'd think about putting JFC in just on the basis that he is left footed? Jesus Christ you splurt some crap.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I speculated last weekend that Hughton could do something we don't all expect and go Chicksen LB and put Calde in front of him in left midfield if he thinks the Derby threat down that side is so significant.

I think the threat is more Christie venturing forward. (As Russell and Tom Ince are left footed and inverted left back is not such a disadvantage.) The temptation is to play March on the left?

The question is whether CH will play two wingers from the start? Or include a midfielder against the formidable Derby three: Murphy in midfield, the not match fit Crofts, the out of touch Rohan Ince, the lightweight left sided Forster-Caskey, or the forgotten Holla?

Which of the five is best at collecting the ball on the half turn and not losing it on pressure if Calderon clears inside and does not pass it down the wing? Rohan Ince gets dispossessed or loses the ball the least of them this season and last season. Forster-Caskey and Crofts are better at passing. I don't know why Holla is forgotten? He has never let the side down, but never done anything particularly productive either.

I'd play Ince instead of Murphy at the start. Exactly what role he will play is problematical.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here