Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team v Everton

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I do love the crass stupidity and complete lack of self awareness from Albion fans appropriating X spent with Y expectations.

We support a Premier League team put together on the cheap, even the expensive signing are cheap.
The cheapest of them all Groß is one of the best performing Premier League players.
Yet here we are, again, being told we should have an inferiority complex solely based on the other teams spending.

Are you contending that money spent doesn't affect what results you get and where you are likely to finish in the league?

Occasionally yes you get a decent player on the cheap like Gross. Sometimes yes, a non league team gets through to the 4th round of the FA Cup.

On average money spent counts. If I could be bothered i'd try and find online some sort of correlation graph to show money spent on wages and transfers and final league positions across all 4 divisions. It would look like a very neat diagonal line with only a few very dots deviating away from it.

The bookies know it, that's why they make Everton favourites to beat us.

Maybe we will beat Everton tomorrow, but on average we'll lose more than we win to clubs who have spent twice what we have. If you disagree i'm happy to have a bet as large as you like about whether we'll finish above Everton at the end of the season or not

I don't have an inferiority complex. Brighton are playing well and Everton are not. But we're not yet in a position where we can say we should win a game like this and its certainly not a game where failure to win indicates we're in relegation trouble

A club who've been in the top division for longer than most of us have been alive
A club who must have spent £300+m on the squad
A club who's wage bill must be approaching double ours
A club who haven't been in serious danger of relegation for 20 years
A club who at the start of the season harboured realistic expectations of European qualification.
A club who the bookies favour over us to win the game
Most of those points are about how big the club is, and only the last one relates to current form. If Trossard starts, I'll be disappointed with anything but a win.

3-0 flattered Tottenham.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you contending that money spent doesn't affect what results you get and where you are likely to finish in the league?

Occasionally yes you get a decent player on the cheap like Gross. Sometimes yes, a non league team gets through to the 4th round of the FA Cup.

On average money spent counts. If I could be bothered i'd try and find online some sort of correlation graph to show money spent on wages and transfers and final league positions across all 4 divisions. It would look like a very neat diagonal line with only a few very dots deviating away from it.

The bookies know it, that's why they make Everton favourites to beat us.

Maybe we will beat Everton tomorrow, but on average we'll lose more than we win to clubs who have spent twice what we have. If you disagree i'm happy to have a bet as large as you like about whether we'll finish above Everton at the end of the season or not

I don't have an inferiority complex. Brighton are playing well and Everton are not. But we're not yet in a position where we can say we should win a game like this and its certainly not a game where failure to win indicates we're in relegation trouble
Not when we're in the same ballpark, no, I don't believe money spent affects league positioning.

What Everton have done in the past is just that, history.
Giving a perennial loser like Silva £300m to spend is no guarantee of success, if anything it's a sure sign of failure.

Of course they may well win tomorrow, but it won't be because they spent more than the Albion.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I cannot see Jahanbakhsh being in the 18 man squad as even with injuries he hasnt made it so far. To answer another poster, Marshy, I would bring Duffy back because he is a better CB than Webster

He clearly isn’t if you attribute any sort of ball playing skills to a CB’s technique profile.

Duffy looked rusty at Villa with his bodged block at the end meaning we dropped a point (I blame Mooy for the other two!).

It seems that your ‘defence first’ mentality that was so nutured by Hughton (in the Premier League) has been well and truly dumped by Potter and his exciting tactics!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The money Fulham spent in 2018 didn't seem to have much effect.
Maybe they got relegated because they aren't a big club.

That is one example of a club who spent and underperformed. Occasionally there will be an example of a club who spent a little and overperform. On AVERAGE the biggest spending clubs will gravitate to the top of any given the league and the smallest will gravitate towards the bottom.

If you still doubt it, have a think about which 5 premier league clubs you think have spent most on transfers and wages on their current squad then think about where they'll finish in the league.

Then think about which 5 premier league clubs have spend least on wages and transfers on their current squad and then think about where they might finish in the league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Damn you, with your indisputably accurate list of so-called facts :lolol:

You're right mate, we should be beating teams like Everton.

A club who've been in the top division for longer than most of us have been alive
A club who must have spent £300+m on the squad
A club who's wage bill must be approaching double ours
A club who haven't been in serious danger of relegation for 20 years
A club who at the start of the season harboured realistic expectations of European qualification.
A club who the bookies favour over us to win the game

Don't get me wrong, I think we've got a decent chance. We're playing well. Yours was just the last slightly silly comment about our chances in this game I was prepared to tolerate before picking someone up on it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not when we're in the same ballpark, no, I don't believe money spent affects league positioning.

What Everton have done in the past is just that, history.
Giving a perennial loser like Silva £300m to spend is no guarantee of success, if anything it's a sure sign of failure.

Of course they may well win tomorrow, but it won't be because they spent more than the Albion.

Because in any given game anything could happen. But over the course of the season, we will clearly be outperformed by them.

We will be outperformed, because they have better players than us.

They have better players than us because they pay higher wages and transfer fees.

They are able to pay higher wages and transfer fees for many reasons, one of them being that they are a very well established top division side. See below for details. Not sure how accurate it is, but it indicates that their 15th highest wage earner earns more than our highest and they have 7 players on £100k+. It;s probably not loads wrong

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/everton-f.c/payroll/

If you still disagree, I'm happy if this evening we both transfer £1000 to an agreed third party to oversee a who will finish higher bet. I'm happy to go much higher than than, because I'll just go the other way at the bookies meaning a guaranteed profit for me ... no guarantees for you though

A good case can be made that the victory over Everton last season was the real high point of Hughton's reign here. Halfway through the season, miles ahead of survival target, you would have got angry pelters on here for even suggesting some criticism of his deep defensive shapes, just as you get pelters now for suggesting that Potter needs to add some end product to the midfield possession stats.

Not that loyalty to an incumbent is a bad thing at all, it's much more admirable than some of the comic book Hughton V Potter revisionist history you read on occasions on NSC

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because in any given game anything could happen. But over the course of the season, we will clearly be outperformed by them.

We will be outperformed, because they have better players than us.

They have better players than us because they pay higher wages and transfer fees.

They are able to pay higher wages and transfer fees for many reasons, one of them being that they are a very well established top division side. See below for details. Not sure how accurate it is, but it indicates that their 15th highest wage earner earns more than our highest and they have 7 players on £100k+. It;s probably not loads wrong

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/everton-f.c/payroll/

If you still disagree, I'm happy if this evening we both transfer £1000 to an agreed third party to oversee a who will finish higher bet. I'm happy to go much higher than than, because I'll just go the other way at the bookies meaning a guaranteed profit for me ... no guarantees for you though
I do not have £100, £10 or £1 to give away on a whim.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But you wouldn't be giving it away would you.

You'd be betting against someone showing "crass stupidity" who has "no self awareness" Surely you couldn't lose a bet under those circumstances

Disappointing response.

The argument was originally over our expectations in this particular match... at the Amex.
As we are at home and they are away, an analogous challenge would be our home form over the season against Everton's away form.

Blue will soon have his grand back in his pocket over that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here