Hart
Walker
Navarro
Carole

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not convinced we should change everything. Dont want Gus to be the Tinkerman and change routes just because we had one goalless game. I agree 4-5-1 does leave us short up front but with the present squad can we afford two strikers and both Bennett and Lua Lua? The target this year is to be safe so if we lose odd games Im not worrying. Ergo... same team as Saturday unless Arismendi is fit.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Not convinced we should change everything. Dont want Gus to be the Tinkerman and change routes just because we had one goalless game. I agree 4-5-1 does leave us short up front but with the present squad can we afford two strikers and both Bennett and Lua Lua? The target this year is to be safe so if we lose odd games Im not worrying. Ergo... same team as Saturday unless Arismendi is fit.

We have had two goalless games and the game is tonight, I agree with you though.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton

Perhaps, although I would argue we need to get at them quickly tonight, thus the need for four attacking players to start. The 4-5-1 has done ok, but I'm not convinced its the way forward at home: it leaves Murray too isolated up top (especially when Crofts and Dicker don't push on) and Navarro has been below par the last couple of games.

scooter1

How soon is now?
The 4-5-1 is working from a defensive point of view, but we're just not scoring enough goals with this formation. Lua Lua and Bennett are wingers not goal scorers, Bennett may get a few chances from set pieces, but from open play its not happening. I'd go 4-4-2 at the expense of Dicker or Navarro, probably Dicker and put Forster in for 60-70 mins, and hopefully by then we'll be a couple up and then change back to 4-5-1.
Murray can't do it on his own up front, he needs another player up there helping out and I think that player is Forster

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm not sure. I like the attacking sound of a 4-4-2, but we changed to 4-5-1 to stop leaking goals. I worry that if we change back we may re-open the holes in our defence.

As for Navarro, I think he has been quiet because he is now tasked with sweeping up in front of the defence - not a role that is easily noticed, but important nonetheless. I would start with 4-5-1 and change to 4-4-2 if we aren't winning by half time.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
.................... Brezovan ....................

.... Calderon ..... Elphick ..... Painter.....

...................... Navarro ....................

............... Dicker ........ Crofts ...........

Bennett ................................ Lua Lua

............. Forster ...... Murray .............

That's using Calderon and Painter as CBs....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We have had two goalless games and the game is tonight, I agree with you though.

You are right about goalless games but I know the game is tonight...w as refferring to last Saturday.... I think...:dunce:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I agree in principle with 4-4-2, although I can see why people are still argueing the case for 4-5-1.

I think bringing in Forster up top with Murray would give our side more of an attacking feel to it, but my only problem is that it would restrict our two wingers. At the moment the reason LuaLua is having so much joy is that because we are only playing one up-front, he has loads of free space to run at and behind the full back when he wants to. If we play two up top it would be more crowded in that area and therefore he may not be as effective.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm not sure. I like the attacking sound of a 4-4-2, but we changed to 4-5-1 to stop leaking goals. I worry that if we change back we may re-open the holes in our defence.

As for Navarro, I think he has been quiet because he is now tasked with sweeping up in front of the defence - not a role that is easily noticed, but important nonetheless. I would start with 4-5-1 and change to 4-4-2 if we aren't winning by half time.

this.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
What would you go with tonight then? I'd go for:

Brezovan

Calderon Elphick Virgo Painter

Bennett Dicker Crofts Lualua

Murray Forster

Subs:

El-Abd
Mcnulty
Holroyd
Hart
Walker
Navarro
Carole

Thats the team that i would like to see out there tonight. We need those two up front.
Not 451 at home. Maybe against Southampton, but not tonight.

:thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Interesting how most people have gone for Virgo and Elphick at the back, and nobody is sticking with El-Abd

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Same as Saturday but with Virgo in instead of Elphick or El-Abd (they were both equally poor on Saturday).

As GP says, we play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on how far up the wingers play.

Oh, and Arismendi won't play tonight.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
As long as Forster dosen't start i will be happy.

.................... Brezovan ....................

.... Calderon ..... Elphick ..... Painter.....

...................... Navarro ....................

............... Dicker ........ Crofts ...........

Bennett ................................ Lua Lua

............. Forster ...... Murray .............

That's using Calderon and Painter as CBs....

I would play that team, what have we to lose? Everything we try at home just doesn't work and Murray needs the support of Fozzy. Maybe put Dicker in the holding role alongside Navarro and leave Crofts to attack and play as far up the pitch with the other four. I am sure that would work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From today's Argus:

Virgo will probably be closer to the supporters than he would wish tonight, on the bench rather than out in the middle.

His comeback from his red card at Leeds is more likely to be in the reserves against Eastbourne United in the quarter-finals of the Sussex Senior Cup at Lancing tomorrow night.

The deputising Adam El-Abd and Tommy Elphick have joined forces effectively in his absence, helping Albion to wins against Charlton and Exeter, a draw at Colchester and the Swindon setback, with only two goals conceded.
===============

Looks like Virgo won't be starting tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports