Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hello my new English friends!

I have adopted Agustin Battipiedi!

He appears to have last played for Communicaciones in Guatemala. And they just happened to play our team right here in Minnesota last year right about this time. So I am going into research mode to find out if there is any chance he actually played on our field last year. How great would that be.

Rock on Gulls!

Hi Bruce - Battipiedi actually came from an Argentine club based in the Buenos Aires area - the Guatemalan team is a different club.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hello. We lost tonight, had our new star player sent off (he will miss 3 games) and one of our more important players stretchered off with what looks like it could be a serious injury.

NSC is not a good place to be at the moment.

Rough result, sorry fellas. Sounds like it went from bad to worse.

Best wishes to Navarro - knee injuries make me squeamish as hell.

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
US Soccer has come to some conclusions and will share that information at these meetings with representatives of each team. In fact, those standards were released to current and potential teams on Friday in order for the organizations to have time to reflect and be prepared to discuss the standards at today’s meetings.

IMS was told that the USSF is attempting to create a delineation between D-2 and D-3 soccer just as there is a large difference between MLS and D-2. They are also trying to stop the constant flux of teams that D-2 has seen over the last 15 years. As pointed out in an earlier IMS 4-part series called Rethinking Division-2 Soccer in North America, 39 of 52 teams have come and gone in that time; a 75% fail rate. However, the new standards that US Soccer have created could possibly eliminate a number of current teams if special provisions or altering of those standards is not allowed.

The new standards call for a whopping 750 thousand dollar bond which must be paid by each team 120 days in advance of the season. A figure that may have even some of the richer owners in the league reeling.

Another standard will be soccer specific stadiums. The new standard will require all teams in D2 to be playing in SSS’s within 5 years.

US Soccer is also calling for the net worth of the majority owner of each team to be worth $20 million. This more than anything is a sticking point that could eliminate a number of existing teams.

Two of those teams are the NSC Stars and Crystal Palace Baltimore. While many believe CP Baltimore are hanging on by a thread as both the USSF and NASL have pumped money into the organization in recent weeks to keep them afloat for the rest of the season, Minnesota, like Puerto Rico, is also in a unique situation. The team is a non-profit organization. It owns its stadium and is paid for. It also shares staff with the NSC and the property of the NSC is well over the benchmark net worth set by US Soccer. However, in this case they would not pass the litmus test with no one owner worth the $20 million.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Ah, tricky.

Is there any timescale for this or is it the same as for the SSS's.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Can't believe none of our new American friends have adopted Gully's girls yet?!?

Do the NSC stars have proper American cheerleaders?

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Cheerleaders are generally despised at football matches in USA/Canada.

Now if they had them serving the beer in the stands, I'm all for it.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Cheerleaders are generally despised at football matches in USA/Canada.

Now if they had them serving the beer in the stands, I'm all for it.

Serving beer topless obviously?!?

What about food at your stadium, i'm sure you can get large calorific super hotdogs and other such wondrous items of culinary delight??

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
What about food at your stadium, i'm sure you can get large calorific super hotdogs and other such wondrous items of culinary delight??

Hot dogs and stuff is available in the main stand, but since I never leave the beer garden, I'm not sure what all they have. Usual stadium food.

The beer garden catering last year was fantastic - their bbq pulled pork sandwich was the bomb. When it changed hands this year I was a bit disappointed, but they've been amenable to making some changes based on how much we piss and moan at them.

They have a grill running off to one side and a guy will cook you burgers or you can get the not-quite-as-good-as-last-year's pulled pork bun.

The beer is... best served so cold you can't really taste it. I struggle on, manfully. I don't think they know how much money they'd make off the beer garden beards if they had some really good beer on tap.

Also, last year they had some games where you'd get a free beer for every goal we scored. It sounds like a recipe for financial disaster.. maybe it was... but I think we'd all die of thirst if Tarley was up front.

Last edited:

GumbyGrrl

Aug 6, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota, USA
The beer garden is all Budweiser products. (They have beer and things like Bacardi Silver) The saving grace is that they usually have 1 or 2 taps of something that tastes much more like beer, including Seattle's old microbrew Redhook.

Ayeready, it may not seem like it watching over the season, but Tarley was top goalscorer for the Thunder for 2008 and 2009. (Tied with someone else one of those years.)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You guys play tonight don't you? Might have to watch the highlights! Come on the Stars!

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The beer garden is all Budweiser products. (They have beer and things like Bacardi Silver) The saving grace is that they usually have 1 or 2 taps of something that tastes much more like beer, including Seattle's old microbrew Redhook.

Ayeready, it may not seem like it watching over the season, but Tarley was top goalscorer for the Thunder for 2008 and 2009. (Tied with someone else one of those years.)

I know! I'd love to see 2009 Tarley play for us. Such a huge disappointment this year.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Here's the link to the game:
WATCH STARS LIVE TONIGHT VS. PORTLAND - NSC Minnesota Stars

Go Stars!

Ayeready - Tarley has 3 goals this season, tied with Hlavaty for 2nd for the Stars. Cvilikas is on top with 5.

I know, I've seen two of them go in; both games he played really well all game. I've also watched all the rest of the games where he just stands there. Really, in the first ten minutes of the game you can tell if Tarley is going to score.

Standing around like a mannequin, four paces behind every cross? No.
Running around, looking lively and awake? Get in there Melvin!

Hey! New smilies! :flounce:

:sheep: Leftover from the Aberdeen friendly, eh NSC?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports