perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

———————Button———————-—
Schelotto——Balogun——-Duffy——-Bong
Băluță ---------- Mooy ---------- Bernardo
Bissouma—————-Murray————-March

Montoya, Webster and Connolly and we still have a passable team, right down to the bare bones.
Who is going to replace March?

Up to the last two reserve games, I would have chosen Gwargis. Now I don't know. Or what is wrong with Alireza Jahanbakhsh?

Under 23 game on Friday.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The two legged semi-final of the League Cup semi-final at an important time of the season makes this a less favourable competition to try to win. FA Cup comes at a crunch time. Both are distractions.

I think the best idea to play the reserves throughout. If they get through they deserve a place in the next round. Of course, I hope we win.

Also, a chance to play first team players in different roles, esp. Burn, who looks out of place at left back to me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Up to the last two reserve games, I would have chosen Gwargis. Now I don't know. Or what is wrong with Alireza Jahanbakhsh?

Under 23 game on Friday.

Several of the u23s will feature tonight and several of the u18s will play Friday. I expect us to lose both. Ah well

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So Swansman, when GP was with you what was his approach to the noddy compet … I mean the Carabao cup, did he seem to care when you were eliminated? Did he take a chance with player selection?

Swansea only played one game in the Cacao Cup last year (vs Crystal Palace, 0-1) and fielded:

Nordfeldt (at the time second keeper)

Declan John (second option left back)
Brandon Cooper (debutant)
Cian Harries (debutant)
Kyle Naughton (second option right back)

Matt Grimes (God, but we didnt know that yet)
Tom Carroll (Tom Carroll)

Daniel James (who?)
George Byers (debutant, I think)
Yan Dhanda (youngster from Liverpool)

Courtney Baker-Richardson (debutant)

Subs that came in: Joel Asoro (young signing from Sunderland), Tyler Reid (debutant) and Liam Cullen (debutant).

Pretty much a B-team if even that, even though a lot of the players established themselves after that. Swansea had a very different situation than Brighton though; only one central defender with senior experience and only one striker, so we sort of needed to try new players in the Caravan Cup.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Surely we will be looking to wrap Montoya in cotton wool given we have the least depth in that position?

Button

Webster Duffy O'Hara Bong

Baluta Mooy Cochrane

Bissouma Connoly Alzate (Richards/ Gwargis if not)

I am tempted to rest Webster rather than Montoya, just in case of a minor knock before Saturday.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'd go 4-4-2 for this one based on Villa's formations this season

Button

Schelotto
Webster
Duffy
Bong

Baluta
Richards
Bissouma
Gross

Connolly
Alzate

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I really don't think that Alzate will play - he'll be rested for Chelsea and although I said that he would be a breakthrough player this year I can't quite believe that I'm saying that! Still early days of course but he's firmly in the first team picture now I think after his PL debut.

... so we sort of needed to try new players in the Caravan Cup.
It's appropriate that Palace won that tie then.

I really don't think that Alzate will play - he'll be rested for Chelsea and although I said that he would be a breakthrough player this year I can't quite believe that I'm saying that!
You mean you can't quite believe how you're openly bragging about it on NSC? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here