Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team FOR Rotherham

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Underestimating your opponent (by resting your best player(s)) in this league usually means -2 or -3 points per game. We should be beating teams like Rotherham blahblah...

Big NO-NO.

I agree but not when you've got arguably equally good, or nearly as good, players on the bench. In the past it was when we rested, say Kayal and brought in Forster-Caskey that we had a problem.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's a shame that Boro player didn't have similar shinpads.

[tweet]765199863776743424[/tweet]

Really don't understand why some players wear the tiniest pads possible.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have a feeling we may see Norwood start tonight instead of sidwell.

I hope not and that it will be Stephens for Sidwell. IMHO that will be 1 of 2 changes we will play Maenpaa for Stockdale, possibly consider Murphy for Skalak but not really fussed between the 2 each has a plus point and each have weaknesses not sure 1 is better than the other.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think this is a game for Skalak not Murphy, as if Rotherham sit and play for a point, that's when a quality set piece could be the thing to undo them.

We can score and play in a number of different ways. That's why we will be promoted this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We can score and play in a number of different ways. That's why we will be promoted this season.

That is what we need blind optimism Every other team likely to be in contention are strenthening and as it stands we will do well to make the play offs although bringing in GM could sway it our way. I do not see us getting automatic as it stands. The action in the next 2 weeks on and off the field will go towards this greatly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Controversial as it is, I could see Lualua getting a game instead of Knockaert too. By all accounts he played well last week and giving Knocky a rest may not be a bad idea.

I'd definitely pick Baldock ahead of Hemed, desperate to see him start with Murray.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. After tonight, we've got two Championship games this month, and then there's an international break. Plenty of time for Knockaert to recuperate. I wouldn't be adverse to taking him off, and bringing KLL on, if we're two up, even one up if there's not too much time left.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think this is a game for Skalak not Murphy, as if Rotherham sit and play for a point, that's when a quality set piece could be the thing to undo them.

I haven't been as persuaded by Skalak as others (although I can see his delivery is stupendous), but I can see your logic on this one. Murphy to start against Reading?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
That is what we need blind optimism Every other team likely to be in contention are strenthening and as it stands we will do well to make the play offs although bringing in GM could sway it our way. I do not see us getting automatic as it stands. The action in the next 2 weeks on and off the field will go towards this greatly.

If by this you mean keeping our players then yes. If you think it is essential we bring in more players (although it would help and I'm sure we'd still like a CB and ST/Number 10) I disagree. We have a good, deep squad just needed maybe slightly tweaking but more the most art we're fine. Wouldn't have a problem moving forward in the season with this squad, at least until January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If by this you mean keeping our players then yes. If you think it is essential we bring in more players (although it would help and I'm sure we'd still like a CB and ST/Number 10) I disagree. We have a good, deep squad just needed maybe slightly tweaking but more the most art we're fine. Wouldn't have a problem moving forward in the season with this squad, at least until January.

I think the squad is good enough to make the play offs out not so sure about automatic. My concern is that teams that we brushed aside last year are strengthening and apart from GM coming in ( 6 months too late) we seem to be standing still. I cannot wait for March to come back as I think there is nothing to chose between Skalak. Murphy, Lua Lua none to me are good enough to be 1st choice and very little to choose between them.

In an ideal world I would love TB to break the bank and bring in Lookman from Charlton then I think we could become possible automatic contenders but it is not my money being staked.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Controversial as it is, I could see Lualua getting a game instead of Knockaert too. By all accounts he played well last week and giving Knocky a rest may not be a bad idea.

I'd definitely pick Baldock ahead of Hemed, desperate to see him start with Murray.

No, No, No!

Bring Lua Lua on by all means at 70 mins if we are in a comfortable position. I'd go the same with Baldock, bringing him on if we are set for the three points.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Agree. It's no secret how Rotherham play - they will look to close us down, make the midfield messy and they will be very competitive. Aside from his set pieces, Skalak is a more combative player than Murphy (as his tussle on Friday proves) and that should help us if it gets physical. Murphy thrives when he has some room but not sure there will be too many spaces in this one....

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I would start with Sidwell and bring Stephens in after 75 mins. He's not had as much game time as the rest due to Injury so why risk him for 90 mins. Put Stephens in for Oxford game to get him match fit. Well that's what I'd do for what it's worth. Feel a bit sorry for Murphy as he's not really put a foot wrong but isn't even getting on from the bench.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Key will surely be overcoming their stacked midfield and I agree with those who say Skalak has to start for his set-piece delivery. Because of that I think we will stick with Hemed & Murray up top. It stands to be pretty combative and muscle could be more important than pace in the middle. Norwood's passing ability should see him get some time but I reckon Stephens and Kayal to start in the middle. Looking forward to seeing Maenpaa get a league start although speed getting off his line doesn't look to be a strength and could be tested with Izzy Brown and Ward both pacy on the counter.
Sidwell could be the one to miss out on the match day squad if we want two (albeit inexperienced) defenders on the bench.

Maenpaa
Rosenior Bruno Dunk Bong
Knockaert Kayal Stephens Skalak
Murray Hemed

Subs: Ankergren White Hunt Norwood. LuaLua Murphy Baldock

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Derby haven't even signed a single player so you're wrong again. As for the others, our squad is stronger than everyone else's. In the second half of last season, we were well ahead of everyone except Derby. Even more so in the last 20 games when we had completed our January signings.

I'm not saying we will go up (and we do need a couple more players at least for depth) but people forget how good we were in the second half of last season. I would have thought the start we've had this season might have reminded others but clearly not.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Key will surely be overcoming their stacked midfield and I agree with those who say Skalak has to start for his set-piece delivery. Because of that I think we will stick with Hemed & Murray up top. It stands to be pretty combative and muscle could be more important than pace in the middle. Norwood's passing ability should see him get some time but I reckon Stephens and Kayal to start in the middle. Looking forward to seeing Maenpaa get a league start although speed getting off his line doesn't look to be a strength and could be tested with Izzy Brown and Ward both pacy on the counter.
Sidwell could be the one to miss out on the match day squad if we want two (albeit inexperienced) defenders on the bench.

Maenpaa
Rosenior Bruno Dunk Bong
Knockaert Kayal Stephens Skalak
Murray Hemed

Subs: Ankergren White Hunt Norwood. LuaLua Murphy Baldock

Agree with that, assuming Stockdale's not fit.

Think the Hemed/Murray partnership will continue until Goldson is back because we need more height at set pieces with Bruno at centre back. And, for all the comments on how it's not working, Hemed did setup the second goal for Murray on Friday. Agree also re Skalak logic.

We definitely won't leave Knockaert out (as some people seem to be suggesting resting him) but I wouldn't be surprised to see him missing one of the league away games as he's not as consistent away from home and didn't have a great game at Derby.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maenpaa

Rosenior
Bruno
Dunk
Bong

Knockeart
Kayal
Stephens
Skalak

Murray
Hemed

Subs : Ankers, White, Norwood, Sidwell, Murphy, LuaLua, Baldock.

The squad is looking good but the following numbers need addressing in the next 2 weeks :

Squad size : 25 ( including Elvis and Holla ).

Defenders : 6

Forwards : 3

All these figures need boosting and a new Center/Full Back and a new Forward will address the issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here