Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Palace (a)

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think Barnes is good back-up for Ulloa as a central striker but we always look a better side when he's not starting on either wing. For this reason, I really hope he is on the bench on Friday.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think Barnes is good back-up for Ulloa as a central striker but we always look a better side when he's not starting on either wing. For this reason, I really hope he is on the bench on Friday.

He's not going to be though, Beef. Barnes will start.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He's not going to be though, Beef. Barnes will start.

You are probably right and we do grind out results with Barnes in his unfavoured position so I can see why Gus will do it. I just think we look a lot more balanced with natural wide players playing left and right wing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You are probably right and we do grind out results with Barnes in his unfavoured position so I can see why Gus will do it. I just think we look a lot more balanced with natural wide players playing left and right wing.

With their wingers being pretty much the only outlet, I'd be surprised if we're too adventurous out wide. Barnes and Dave wouldn't surprise me too much.
Home leg will likely be different and much more open though I imagine.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
U
Kuszczak

Calderon~Matthew Upson~Greer~Wayne Bridge

Bridcutt

Spanish Dave~Hammond~Orlandi

Ulloa~Barnes​

Subs: Ankergren, El-Abd, Crofts, Vicente, Buckley, Dicker, Lualua

Tight away, more expansive at home.

It seemed to take a lot of guesses to chose the obvious starting line up, although it will be 4-5-1 rather than 4-4-2

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Vicente may have to start to counteract Garvan. Lopez and Buckley (definite starters normally) may come on at 66 minutes. We will be playing for a draw in the first half. I just hope we do not get any injuries to spoil the plan. The idea is not to lose the ball. Lualua has showed a lot of composure on the ball in 2013. Orlandi to start as well. El Abd at right back could be a surprise inclusion.

Kuszczak
El-Abd Upson Greer Bridge
Bridcutt Vicente Hammond Orlandi
Ulloa Lualua

Subs:
Ankergen, Calderón, López, Dicker, Buckley, Barnes, Dunk

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think Vicente may have to start to counteract Garvan. Lopez and Buckley (definite starters normally) may come on at 66 minutes. We will be playing for a draw in the first half. I just hope we do not get any injuries to spoil the plan. The idea is not to lose the ball. Lualua has showed a lot of composure on the ball in 2013. Orlandi to start as well. El Abd at right back could be a surprise inclusion.

Kuszczak
El-Abd Upson Greer Bridge
Bridcutt Vicente Hammond Orlandi
Ulloa Lualua

Subs:
Ankergen, Calderón, López, Dicker, Buckley, Barnes, Dunk

No way that Lopez won't start at Palace. He is our most creative player and in much better form than Vicente. I agree about LuaLua though. If you asked me before Saturday, I would have said Buckley would start (if either of them starts at Palace, which I don't think is guaranteed) but LuaLua may just have played himself into the starting line up.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If Orlandi and Dave weren't so good, I'd like to see this team:

Kuszczak
Calderon ~ Greer ~ Upson ~ Bridge
Bridcutt
Buckley ~ Crofts ~ Hammond ~ Lualua
Ulloa

to be solid in defence yet still have attacking threat. I reckon we'll see this though:

Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Lopez ~ Hammond ~ Orlandi ~ Barnes
Ulloa

Bench: Ankergren, Painter, El-Abd, Crofts, Lualua, Vicente, Buckley.​

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Kuszczak
Calderon Greer Upson Bridge
Bridcutt Hammond
Buckley Lopez Orlandi
Ulloa​
Subs: Ankergren, El-Abd, Dicker, Crofts, LuaLua, Barnes, Barker

You?
I'd go for that team too. Hammond & Bridcutt to start to cut out the service to Murray. Buckley & Lopez to help cover for Calderon so they can double up on Bolasie. I'm just worried Gus might go with Barnes rather than Orlandi to help Bridge double up on Zaha, though I'd favour Orlandi any day as he's far more creative than Barnes and can score. It's gonna be a tough call but I hope Gus is brave enough to look to snatch a goal and a result, like we did at Cardiff.
On the bench Vicente has to be preferred to Dicker. Croft, Hammond, Dicker are all too similar, we dont need all three. Vicente does offer a bit of class and the occasion just might inspire him to have an "on" day. UTA

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
------------kuszscak------------
Calderon Greer Upson Bridge-
---Lopez Bridcutt Hammond---
-----Buckley Ulloa Barnes------

Hate leaving Orlandi out but just can't fit him in!

MAYBE in for Barnes.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Lopez ~ Hammond ~ Orlandi ~ Barnes
Ulloa

Bench: Ankergren, Painter, El-Abd, Crofts, Lualua, Vicente, Buckley.​

This would be my team for the away leg, bring on KLL and Buckley if we fall behind, or save them for the home leg.

On second thought, tempted to say Buckley in for Hammond and push Lopez narrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here