NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Steele
Veltman(c) Tsongui Roberts
Karbownik, Caicedo, Molumby, Alzate
Richards Mwepu
Zeqiri​

A scattering of 1st teamers, but mostly u23 & u18s on the bench...

I'm not sure if Potter will want to give Dunk and/or Webster a runout given their truncated preseason - I would personally leave them out and rely on Veltman to be the experienced head to hold the defensive platform together.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Steele
Karbo Dunk Duffy Roberts Moder
Alzate Caicedo Mwepu
Connolly Zeqiri

Richards on the bench.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
GP said it in the pre match press conference last week. Possibly prepping us for a bit of players playing in unusual positions, possibly to throw oppo managers off the scent.

Personally I think he's way too good to be playing at centre back or left wing back and we should get him in his best position in the centre of midfield, but I understand the competition for places we have in that position ... and yeh your right, he's one of those who can do a decent job anywhere

I think he's looked best centre midfield but he also did a really good job as stand in wingback. I'm intrigued by seeing him as part of a back three. He has the size to deal with the physical side of things, he has the composure on the ball, passing range and ability to drive forward with the ball that Potter clearly wants his defenders to have. He could actually be really good there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Be nice if we take this competition seriously this year.

Yes, it would. Most on here completely disagree, obviously - they are all advocating team line-ups to lose. Cardiff are a string Championship side, at home - we're never going to beat them with a cobbled up side. Can't understand why everbody is adamant that Karbownik should be in the team - he looked well off the pace in pre-season, and wasn't even on the bench on Saturday.
Resting playrs? Yes, OK, Lallana, possibly Bissouma and maybe one of the three CBs that started in Saturday. No more.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Steele

Tsenghui or whatever
Roberts
Veltman
Karbo

Alzate
Mwepu
Caicedo
Moder

Richards

Zeqiri

(Assuming molumby tau and andone not risked for transfers). First 11 players on bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Here goes

Steele
Tsongui, Roberts, Veltman
Karbo and Zeqiri as RWB and LWB
Caicedo, Alzate, Mwepu
Moder, Ferguson,

Or Connolly for Ferguson, if Maupay is going to be fit for Everton.
Strong team. Chance for those without the game time to get it, and experience of fast paced English football for players like Karbo and Caicedo.
Leonard, Moran, amongst the subs.

For me Connolly has to start. The what if he gets injured and Maupay isn't fit for Saturday argument. Is overridden by his lack of form. Connolly NEEDS a goal.
Moder has been used lightly thus far, but has played an awful lot of football over the last two seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the bench for this one, which might give Marc Leonard an opportunity, although I think it is more likely we will see Pascal Gross.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I understand the debate about playing a strong team but if fringe players don’t get a game in this match then they will have played no meaningful football should they be required for the league. That’s just not sensible to me.

I would give Veltman a game given he needs some match minutes. I would also give Alzate, Moder, Caicedo, Mwepu, Steele and Zeqiri starts. That’s 7 first team squad regulars and then give Richards a start as he earned it and you are only talking about playing maybe three inexperienced kids. From what I saw of the Under 23’s v West Ham Leonard should be one of those as he looked outstanding.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Steele

Karbownik
Veltman
Roberts
Tsoungui
Moder

Richards
Caicedo
Alzate

Zeqiri
Connolly

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, it would. Most on here completely disagree, obviously - they are all advocating team line-ups to lose. Cardiff are a string Championship side, at home - we're never going to beat them with a cobbled up side. Can't understand why everbody is adamant that Karbownik should be in the team - he looked well off the pace in pre-season, and wasn't even on the bench on Saturday.
Resting playrs? Yes, OK, Lallana, possibly Bissouma and maybe one of the three CBs that started in Saturday. No more.

I think plenty of us disregard our fringe players too much.

Cardiff are unlikely to put out their strongest team either, so the likes of Karbownik/Richards/Caceido/Roberts are likely to be very competitive players at that level.
In reality the likes of Alzate/Moder/Veltman will be the best players on the pitch.

I don't think we have to pick half of the first team to be seen as taking the competition seriously.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Cardiff are unlikely to put out their strongest team either, so the likes of Karbownik/Richards/Caceido/Roberts are likely to be very competitive players at that level.
In reality the likes of Alzate/Moder/Veltman will be the best players on the pitch.

I don't think we have to pick half of the first team to be seen as taking the competition seriously.

Hmmm .................

2-0 Cardiff then. By the way, I don't disregard our fringe players at all - there are some excellent young players amngst them - but putting them all together and calling it aa team is an indication of wanting to be rid of the cup as quickly as possible. Happy to see most of them given some time - and I hope that happens - but not all at once.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

And reports earlier in this thread suggested that Cardiff put out their strongest team in the previous round.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
GP strongly indicating in the press conference that fringe & young players will be playing vs Cardiff.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From the press conference this afternoon.

[tweet]1429784935829807110[/tweet]

That’s Duffy confirmed for Everton if there was ever a doubt, especially considering how we’ve failed to stop Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s aerial threat without him.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
You keep naming players who aren’t even in the country anymore. Andone is in Spain now finalising a move and Percy has been in South Africa for almost 2 weeks.

Alright! Alright! Forgive me for not being completely up to date with movements of all the players. I was only starting a thread up.......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
------------------ Steele ----------------------
---- Tsongui ---- Duffy ---- Roberts ----
Alzate - Caicedo - Moder - Karbownik
------- Mwepu ------- Richards -----------
---------------- Zeqiri -------------------------

Molumby and Connolly to come off the bench, and maybe another

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here