Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Cardiff?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I don't get a lot of the above selections.

We've barely played any football. Nobody needs a rest (ok possibly only Ali Mac)

We've won two games out of two. Make it three and we go into the weekend with huge momentum. We don't have another game after that for a fortnight.

True we could get an injury, but that applies to any game. Or they might get injured in training. It's a small risk

We've got 6 points on the board and we're 20-1 to be relegated. If we don't field a team capable of progressing through the competition now, we may as well say we're never going to try and win anything ever.

We're playing a very decent Championship side, who are likely not to rest players (despite the fact that they play twice a week in the league). We'll need a strong line up, playing well to get through the tie

City take it seriously, especially towards the important end. In my eyes, risking the bigger players in a Mickey Mouse cup only to end up playing a full strength Citeh side is less beneficial than blooding the youngsters v strong EFL and PL sides.

Citeh.JPG

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't get a lot of the above selections.

We've barely played any football. Nobody needs a rest (ok possibly only Ali Mac)

We've won two games out of two. Make it three and we go into the weekend with huge momentum. We don't have another game after that for a fortnight.

True we could get an injury, but that applies to any game. Or they might get injured in training. It's a small risk

We've got 6 points on the board and we're 20-1 to be relegated. If we don't field a team capable of progressing through the competition now, we may as well say we're never going to try and win anything ever.

We're playing a very decent Championship side, who are likely not to rest players (despite the fact that they play twice a week in the league). We'll need a strong line up, playing well to get through the tie

Whether you want it or not our selections are all a lot more likely than yours.

The guys had barely played any games before playing Portsmouth last year or Bristol Rovers the year before that.

There is 30+ players in the squad. People not given the chance in the most important competition need to play elsewhere, like in this plucky cup. Its a great way of giving first team experience to fringe + young players.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Steele
Veltman - Duffy - Roberts
Alzate - Caicedo - Moder - Karbownik
Richards
Connolly - Zeqiri

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
City take it seriously, especially towards the important end. In my eyes, risking the bigger players in a Mickey Mouse cup only to end up playing a full strength Citeh side is less beneficial than blooding the youngsters v strong EFL and PL sides.

View attachment 139695

Given that the last time we played City we beat them, you haven't convinced me that we should adjust our approach to the competition on the basis that we will inevitably draw them and lose.

Obviously, if we do go on a run in a cup we'll end up playing top PL sides. That's no reason to throw in the towel

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Given that the last time we played City we beat them, you haven't convinced me that we should adjust our approach to the competition on the basis that we will inevitably draw them and lose.

Obviously, if we do go on a run in a cup we'll end up playing top PL sides. That's no reason to throw in the towel

Fair enough, deciding vote goes to Potter.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whether you want it or not our selections are all a lot more likely than yours.

The guys had barely played any games before playing Portsmouth last year or Bristol Rovers the year before that.

There is 30+ players in the squad. People not given the chance in the most important competition need to play elsewhere, like in this plucky cup. Its a great way of giving first team experience to fringe + young players.

Cardiff a good side. Much better than the teams you mentioned.

If we go with an u23 defence, there will likely only be one match in the competition to give Moder, Alzate, Zeqiri etc some time on the pitch.

I think we will go much stronger than you think.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Here goes

Steele
Tsongui, Roberts, Veltman
Karbo and Zeqiri as RWB and LWB
Caicedo, Alzate, Mwepu
Moder, Ferguson,

Or Connolly for Ferguson, if Maupay is going to be fit for Everton.
Strong team. Chance for those without the game time to get it, and experience of fast paced English football for players like Karbo and Caicedo.
Leonard, Moran, amongst the subs.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Here goes

Steele
Tsongui, Roberts, Veltman
Karbo and Zeqiri as RWB and LWB
Caicedo, Alzate, Mwepu
Moder, Ferguson,

Or Connolly for Ferguson, if Maupay is going to be fit for Everton.
Strong team. Chance for those without the game time to get it, and experience of fast paced English football for players like Karbo and Caicedo.
Leonard, Moran, amongst the subs.

Ideal team for me - only question is whether Moder or Zeqiri would be preferred at wing back.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Allegedly Potter believes Moder could be a central defender option so I'm thinking he might try him in that role.

Interesting - Moder is one of those players who is tremendously useful to have in the squad. He has really solid defensive and attacking attributes, so I'd back him to play effectively in most positions!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I would start:

Steele/Schreppen
Krabownick (sp?)
Roberts
Tongue
Caicedo
Richards
Alcatel-Lucent
Veltman
Moder
Mwepu
Zequiri

If Tau and Andone are not being sold then play them. Otherwise just play 2 strikers from the U23's.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Veltman was unavailable until after the international break, due to injury?

Tau and Andone are gone.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought Veltman was unavailable until after the international break, due to injury?

Tau and Andone are gone.
He's not injured, he was pinged ( before the Aug 16th changes so it counts ). When the ping isolation expires is the question.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Steele

Tsongui
Veltman
Roberts

Karbownik
Mwepu
Moder
Alzate

Richards
Zeqiri
Connolly(provided Maupay will be good for Saturday)

Edit: I can't find Roberts on the club website. Is he out on loan again? I thought he was on the bench against Watford? I've also spotted that several of the U-23's have squad numbers whereas Tsongui doesn't so maybe he's further down the pecking order.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Steele

Tsongui
Veltman
Roberts

Karbownik
Mwepu
Moder
Alzate

Richards
Zeqiri
Connolly(provided Maupay will be good for Saturday)

Edit: I can't find Roberts on the club website. Is he out on loan again? I thought he was on the bench against Watford? I've also spotted that several of the U-23's have squad numbers whereas Tsongui doesn't so maybe he's further down the pecking order.

Ignore all the numbers on the site for the U23s/U18s as the majority of these are incorrect. Tsoungui is number 43 for example, and Tom McGill listed as 61 is in fact number 38.

Haydon Roberts was on the bench and is very likely to stay, until January at least

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That's really interesting. where did you hear that? Moder seems a player capable of playing anywhere.

GP said it in the pre match press conference last week. Possibly prepping us for a bit of players playing in unusual positions, possibly to throw oppo managers off the scent.

Personally I think he's way too good to be playing at centre back or left wing back and we should get him in his best position in the centre of midfield, but I understand the competition for places we have in that position ... and yeh your right, he's one of those who can do a decent job anywhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here