Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Arsenal League Cup

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think Sarmiento and Lamptey would both appreciate a World Cup warm up game, as their game time so far this season has been limited.

Moises, Pervis Mitoma and Ali Mac should be rested for Sunday. I think there should be a good mix of youth and experience.

I would go with this as well:

I have a ticket for this as 20 minute journey to the stadium for me and hope we really go for it.
I heard we're taking a fair few there. Well, thousands to be frank. Is that right?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Surely no Prem team will play WC stars?!

League Cup has a little importance, but lesson learnt from Chillwell in the CL dead rubber, I would think.
Players are contracted to us, the WC should have no influence whether Internationals are picked or not.

League Cup of little importance ? It won't be if we end up in the final. Arsenal have the League and the Europa to concentrate on, the LC is low priority to them. Its an opportunity, lets go up there and make North London ours again

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Reasonable.

I suppose you can give them the option to be considered.
Are you suggesting asking a player if he ‘wouldn’t mind’ playing? Are you joking? That is the slippery of slippery slopes.

FWIW I’d play our strongest team with only one or two rested. The only players I’d look to try to start are Gilmour, Lamptey and perhaps Undav.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think we'll put out as strong a team as possible - without those going to the World Cup ( I'm not totally sure who is on the WC list other than Trossard, Mitoma, Caicedo and possibly Mac Allister. ).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Are you suggesting asking a player if he ‘wouldn’t mind’ playing? Are you joking? That is the slippery of slippery slopes.

FWIW I’d play our strongest team with only one or two rested. The only players I’d look to try to start are Gilmour, Lamptey and perhaps Undav.
Well, it's a conversation. There is ZERO point choosing players who are not going to be commited mentally.

Bit much to expect key players to risk their World Cup place (and 'dream') to play in a competition Brighton & Hove Albion typically treats with disdain.

Here's our line-up against (eventual finalists) Villa a few years back....

Carabao-Cup-Brighton-1-Aston-Villa-3-Report-and-pictures-Express-Star.png

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Steele

Veltman, Dunk, Colwill

Lamptey, Gilmour, Caicedo, Mitoma

Sarmiento, Welbeck, Enciso

or something like that
Van Hecke for Dunk(but Veltman moved to the centre) and Undav for Wellbeck and I'd be pretty happy. There must be someone to replace Caicedo too, we seemed to have about 3000 central midfielders not so long ago but I can't think of a spare one off the top of my head.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sure, it you want to treat them like basic commodities.

Look, I'd love us to take it seriously. Recent evidence suggests we won't...
Unless the recent evidence is because of a directive from Barber or Tony, it may be that the new manager has a different approach.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sure, it you want to treat them like basic commodities.

Look, I'd love us to take it seriously. Recent evidence suggests we won't...
Players are commodities, that is the modern game. We pay them a lot of money and we expect them to give their all when asked.

In previous seasons we weren't sitting 6th in the PL. This year, we're not in a relegation dog fight, so I do hope we give it a proper go against a top team

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've not read ever page, but our line-up in the previous round was

Steele
Colwill - Van Hecke - Turns
Mitoma - Spong - Alzate - Lamptey
Ferguson - Enciso
Undav

Bench

McGill
Offiah
Tsoungui
Furlong
Moran
Peupion
Hinchy

I'd expect a strong starting 11 for this one, something like:

Steele

Veltman - Colwill - Van Hecke - Lamptey

March - Sarmiento - Gilmour - Gross

Undav - Enciso

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bench

McGill
Offiah
Furlong
Spong
Moran
Turns
Ferguson
Offiah

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Julio, Jeremy and Billy to start please.
I guess we need to see more of Undav but jury definitely still out for me.
Rest most of the first XI for Villa.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
As we've got 7k fans going we really should go for this one and it should be the strongest team minus world cup players
Why minus World Cup players? f*** that.
Different manager and we’re in a good league position. Plus for Sunday we’ve got an extra 24 hours on Villa to recover and we’re at home = go for it Wednesday!
I think RDZ will approach every match wanting to win.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Why minus World Cup players? f*** that.
Different manager and we’re in a good league position. Plus for Sunday we’ve got an extra 24 hours on Villa to recover and we’re at home = go for it Wednesday!
I think RDZ will approach every match wanting to win.
I agree but it's a bit unfair if a player gets injured and misses WC

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've not read ever page, but our line-up in the previous round was
Steele
Colwill - Van Hecke - Turns
Mitoma - Spong - Alzate - Lamptey
Ferguson - Enciso
Undav

Bench

McGill
Offiah
Tsoungui
Furlong
Moran
Peupion
Hinchy

I'd expect a strong starting 11 for this one, something like:

Steele

Veltman - Colwill - Van Hecke - Lamptey

March - Sarmiento - Gilmour - Gross

Undav - Enciso
This but would swap Lamptey to RB, put Colwill at LB and Veltman in the centre. Would give Solly and Gross 60 minutes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we'll put out as strong a team as possible - without those going to the World Cup ( I'm not totally sure who is on the WC list other than Trossard, Mitoma, Caicedo and possibly Mac Allister. ).
Trossard, Mitoma, Caicedo, Mac Allister, plus Estupinan, Sarmiento, Lamptey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here