Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Ajax?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Does anyone have a clue how Ajax usually set up?
Speedy wingers? Big target men? Play on the break? Who their main threats are?
I know nothing about them apart from the fact that they are currently struggling and the fanbase are very unhappy.
4-3-3 and the fullbacks bomb on as well. Absolute carnage if not executed properly. The new manager doesn't seem to know what he's doing. They are dangerous and fast upfront ....but like us (only a lot worse) absolutely exposed at the back time and time again as the players don't track back for the manager or the team.

Sep 2, 2023
Does anyone have a clue how Ajax usually set up?
Speedy wingers? Big target men? Play on the break? Who their main threats are?
I know nothing about them apart from the fact that they are currently struggling and the fanbase are very unhappy.
Main threat is probably Berjgwin striker used to be at tottenham. Never really established himself at spurs but i always thought a decent player who never really got game time cos Kane and Son were on the team sheet every week ahead of him and rarely got injured. They also have a croation defender who starts for croatian national team. Goalkeeper is a rookie early 20s who has only played this season.

Also Berghuis who is in the Dutch squad other than that not much to write home about they have a 17 year old starting every week Hato in defence and a few young players from their acadamy and Akpom who came from Middlesborough but is on the bench and only started once.

If they were a premier league team i think they would be on a par with Luton and Burnley something like that which is quite sad to see really given their history and achievements even in the recent past. If you look at the side that reached the champions league semi final and were 1 minute away from beating tottenham and getting to the final think that was about 2018 so not long ago this team is light years away from that.

Sep 2, 2023
To put things in perspective here is a list of the first choice starting players Ajax lost since the end of last season

Timber to Arsenal
Kudus to West Ham
Alvarez to West Ham
Tadic to Fenerbache
Grillitsch to Hoffenhiem
Bassey - fulham
klassen to Inter Milan

Also their 1st choice keeper from last season Rulli has been out with a long term shoulder injury expected back January.

They have mostly replaced those players with last seasons subs, acadamy graduates and signings that have been poor so far.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
To put things in perspective here is a list of the first choice starting players Ajax lost since the end of last season

Timber to Arsenal
Kudus to West Ham
Alvarez to West Ham
Tadic to Fenerbache
Grillitsch to Hoffenhiem
Bassey - fulham
klassen to Inter Milan

Also their 1st choice keeper from last season Rulli has been out with a long term shoulder injury expected back January.

They have mostly replaced those players with last seasons subs, acadamy graduates and signings that have been poor so far.
They did spend 109 million euros in the summer.... but yes those signings haven't worked yet

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Main threat is probably Berjgwin striker used to be at tottenham. Never really established himself at spurs but i always thought a decent player who never really got game time cos Kane and Son were on the team sheet every week ahead of him and rarely got injured. They also have a croation defender who starts for croatian national team. Goalkeeper is a rookie early 20s who has only played this season.

Also Berghuis who is in the Dutch squad other than that not much to write home about they have a 17 year old starting every week Hato in defence and a few young players from their acadamy and Akpom who came from Middlesborough but is on the bench and only started once.

If they were a premier league team i think they would be on a par with Luton and Burnley something like that which is quite sad to see really given their history and achievements even in the recent past. If you look at the side that reached the champions league semi final and were 1 minute away from beating tottenham and getting to the final think that was about 2018 so not long ago this team is light years away from that.
They have a better squad than Burnley and Luton. No way would these two teams be drawing with Marseille and AEK. Need to be a bit careful here, we should win but we need to be at our best. Brobbey , forbs , Sosa , rensch , Taylor , sutalo all pretty good

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Bart
Veltman
Webster
Dunk
Offiah
Gilmour
Buonanotte
Gross
Mitoma
Fati
Pedro

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Need our 3 Dutch ‘Vs’ playing in this!

——————Verbruggen—————-
Veltman—Van Hecke—Dunk——-Igor
————Groß————Gilmour———
Buonanotte—--Lallana———-—-Fati
————-——Ferguson——————

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Need our 3 Dutch ‘Vs’ playing in this!

——————Verbruggen—————-
Veltman—Van Hecke—Dunk——-Igor
————Groß————Gilmour———
Buonanotte—--Lallana———-—-Fati
————-——Ferguson——————
I have seen nothing from Buonanotte that tells me he should be playing

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I actually forgot about Webster when compiling my team at home and the 1 bad game he had surely hasn't made him a liability overnight,id be tempted to play him instead of JPVH if he's fit,just to see if he's got his confidence back more than anything,I'd rather RDZ risked him v Ajax than lobbing him in for a league game.

3 points v Ajax at home is vital though so it's a tough call to make regarding Webster,i expect a few U21s on the bench and I'd love to see Barrington given 15 minutes if he makes the bench.

I will definitely not give up on Buonanotte,he is admittedly not quite up to speed as of yet but I like him,and he has the talent to make it happen on his the pitch,I hope RDZ thinks the same and gives him another try,the way it's going injury wise he will have to get some game time sooner or later.

Last edited:

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Verbruggen

Veltman
Van Hecke
Dunk
Igor

Gross
Gilmour
Dahoud

Adingra
Fati
Mitoma

Subs:
Steele, McGill, Webster, Milner, Hinshelwood, Baleba, Lallana, Buonanotte, Joao Pedro, Ferguson + 2 more under 21’s.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have seen nothing from Buonanotte that tells me he should be playing
I think there are a number of our fantastically talented players who, despite their brilliant skill, look poor when they play two games per week. Mitoma and Estupinian spring to mind.

RDZ needs to shuffle on Thursday, we can’t burn our players out. I’ve not seen a lot from Facundo either but RDZ obviously has in training or else he’d not have been picked.

He’ll come good at some point, it could be on Thursday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Verbruggen
Veltman Van Hecke Dunk Igor
Gilmour Gross
Adingra Joao Pedro Mitoma
Ferguson

The bench starts becoming difficult to populate but I'll be really frustrated if Steele is in goal again. Let's at least have a chance at a clean sheet in this game.
Milner in goal? Lack of Pace won’t be an issue

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Timber to Arsenal
Kudus to West Ham
Alvarez to West Ham
Tadic to Fenerbache
Grillitsch to Hoffenhiem
Bassey - fulham
klassen to Inter Milan

A salutary lesson. Sell in moderation and not all at once!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ajax may be struggling with results but I watched there loss at weekend and thought they were outstanding going forward and poor at back

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I see lots of people putting Igor at left back.

Just to point out - he’s played just 46 minutes at LB in the last 3 and a bit seasons and a total of just 287 minutes there in total in his whole top flight career. I’m really not sure he’s the answer.

I think he’s looked decent in the last couple of games and he’s starting to develop an understanding with Dunk in the middle - I can’t see the logic in shifting him out to the left. He doesn’t have the skillset of a full back and if you’re worried about Milner’s pace, Igor is hardly the most rapid.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
It’s a bit of a strange one because the back 4 of Veltman, JPVH, Dunk, Igor that most of us think will start has been forced upon us and yet reading it on a team sheet fills me with more confidence in our defence than in most previous weeks line ups

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here