Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taxi for Advocaat ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think the result was THAT bad was it? OK he might well call it a day but calm down dears.

Yes, losing to Man City is scarcely an unexpected result. It's when he loses to Newcastle that he's in trouble

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Don't think Big Sam should even look at the Sunderland job. He doesn't need the money, he doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. If he takes this season out, doing a bit of TV work, he will be in the running for the England job when we bomb at the Euros!

If he doesn't take the Sunderland job if offered then what other job will he get? It's perfect for him, provided the chairman gives him a free rein to reform the club from top to bottom. He's an ex- Sunderland player and will love sticking it to Newcastle, he could even help send them down, and I fancy he'd finally break the player power that has held sway at the club for too long.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If he doesn't take the Sunderland job if offered then what other job will he get? It's perfect for him, provided the chairman gives him a free rein to reform the club from top to bottom. He's an ex- Sunderland player and will love sticking it to Newcastle, he could even help send them down, and I fancy he'd finally break the player power that has held sway at the club for too long.
You make some good points but I repeat, he does not need the job money-wise. It could all go horribly wrong quite easily and spoil his cv. He is in his 60s now with a history of heart problems. No one would blame him for taking a year out. The longer you are out of the game the better your reputation!
If it all goes tits up at the euros I reckon he would be front of the queue to replace Roy.
Unusually there are quite a few English managers in the Premiership at the moment, we won't be short of candidates. One thing he would have going for him is there would be no buy-out clause.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You make some good points but I repeat, he does not need the job money-wise. It could all go horribly wrong quite easily and spoil his cv. He is in his 60s now with a history of heart problems. No one would blame him for taking a year out. The longer you are out of the game the better your reputation!
If it all goes tits up at the euros I reckon he would be front of the queue to replace Roy.
Unusually there are quite a few English managers in the Premiership at the moment, we won't be short of candidates. One thing he would have going for him is there would be no buy-out clause.

Since leaving West Ham Allardyce has appeared as a TV pundit and the question of him taking another big job in British football has come up. He hasn't ruled it out and his body language and ironic smiling suggests that he's waiting for the right job to come along.

If you look at how things have gone since he left Bolton then he's done relatively well at Blackburn, Newcastle and West Ham without getting much credit. You have to believe he feels he has unfinished business and a point to prove to the football world. He's missed the boat for international management - he's a patriotic man and I don't think his heart would be in any other job than the England one, and he's not going to get that.

Sunderland are one of the few clubs that could make life difficult for the big boys if they ever got their act together, and there's always the chance of a cup or a foray into Europe. I fancy he's got one more big appointment left in him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You make some good points but I repeat, he does not need the job money-wise.

Allardyce probably doesn't need ANY job moneywise. I get the impression he enjoys it though, he thrives on the pressure. Having had a bit of a sabbatical to recharge his batteries, I think he'd take the Sunderland job with both hands were it offered.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Since leaving West Ham Allardyce has appeared as a TV pundit and the question of him taking another big job in British football has come up. He hasn't ruled it out and his body language and ironic smiling suggests that he's waiting for the right job to come along.

If you look at how things have gone since he left Bolton then he's done relatively well at Blackburn, Newcastle and West Ham without getting much credit. You have to believe he feels he has unfinished business and a point to prove to the football world. He's missed the boat for international management - he's a patriotic man and I don't think his heart would be in any other job than the England one, and he's not going to get that.

Sunderland are one of the few clubs that could make life difficult for the big boys if they ever got their act together, and there's always the chance of a cup or a foray into Europe. I fancy he's got one more big appointment left in him.

I agree with you apart from "he's missed the boat for international management". He has been in the running before and is a good age to take it on. He is well respected in football if not in the public perspective but we all know how fickle fans can be. He has always been a very forward thinking manager and imho would up there in the running for the job. He has everything to lose by taking the Sunderland job.

Have to admit to some bias here. I live on the Costa Blanca and Sam has a home nearby. It would have to be a very good job to get me out of retirement!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolute nonsense.

They've been in the Prem for eight years unbroken, and in total have been in the top division for 84 of their 114 seasons.

Too easy.

bg.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Allardyce probably doesn't need ANY job moneywise. I get the impression he enjoys it though, he thrives on the pressure. Having had a bit of a sabbatical to recharge his batteries, I think he'd take the Sunderland job with both hands were it offered.
That's a massive shout Easy.

Are you saying Sam finally has his gravy addiction under control.

Fair play to the fella if he has, but he's had a lot of free time to fill.
Hopefully Sam has been able to substitute Bisto for something he can control, like crack cocaine.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with you apart from "he's missed the boat for international management". He has been in the running before and is a good age to take it on. He is well respected in football if not in the public perspective but we all know how fickle fans can be. He has always been a very forward thinking manager and imho would up there in the running for the job. He has everything to lose by taking the Sunderland job.

Have to admit to some bias here. I live on the Costa Blanca and Sam has a home nearby. It would have to be a very good job to get me out of retirement!

England fans wouldn't want Sam, and neither would the media. He'd have a mountain to climb before a ball was kicked. If he was going to get the job it would have been after Capello left in 2010. The other thing against him is his tactics. He likes a direct style of play and doesn't give two figs for possession stats. Unfortunately in international football without the hurly-burly of the Prem possession of the ball IS key and we've seen giving the ball away cost England dearly in the years of the Golden Generation.

I always find it interesting to listen to him and his views, he's certainly made enough cash to retire and he'd make an excellent pundit, but the same could have been said about 'Arry after he left Spurs. Some managers can't help themselves.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
England fans wouldn't want Sam, and neither would the media. He'd have a mountain to climb before a ball was kicked. If he was going to get the job it would have been after Capello left in 2010. The other thing against him is his tactics. He likes a direct style of play and doesn't give two figs for possession stats. Unfortunately in international football without the hurly-burly of the Prem possession of the ball IS key and we've seen giving the ball away cost England dearly in the years of the Golden Generation.

I always find it interesting to listen to him and his views, he's certainly made enough cash to retire and he'd make an excellent pundit, but the same could have been said about 'Arry after he left Spurs. Some managers can't help themselves.

That's the problem for Sam isn't it? He is tarred with the long ball tag and nothing will shake that. Fact is his teams haven't played like that since the early Bolton days.
He makes the most of the players at his disposal. I don't believe he would have played Paul Scholes on the right of midfield to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard for instance. He would have built the team around Scholes, the best midfielder of his generation, rather than being starstruck like Sven and others.

But you are right, England fans will never accept him, more is the pity imho. I don't feel sorry for him btw, I have seen the house he built from the Newcastle pay off and hope he enjoys it. He is a star down here!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the problem for Sam isn't it? He is tarred with the long ball tag and nothing will shake that. Fact is his teams haven't played like that since the early Bolton days.
He makes the most of the players at his disposal. I don't believe he would have played Paul Scholes on the right of midfield to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard for instance. He would have built the team around Scholes, the best midfielder of his generation, rather than being starstruck like Sven and others.

But you are right, England fans will never accept him, more is the pity imho. I don't feel sorry for him btw, I have seen the house he built from the Newcastle pay off and hope he enjoys it. He is a star down here!

West Ham under Bilic have played more long balls than they did under Big Sam.
(That a Football Weekly FACT)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolute nonsense.

They've been in the Prem for eight years unbroken, and in total have been in the top division for 84 of their 114 seasons.

Which would prove they have been out of it 30 times so have been trying to get promoted for those 30 seasons, as I said always have been a yo yo club even when they were known as the Bank of England club. The last few years have been their most successful in terms of time in the top division and is possibly their longest unbroken period in the top division.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Which would prove they have been out of it 30 times so have been trying to get promoted for those 30 seasons, as I said always have been a yo yo club even when they were known as the Bank of England club. The last few years have been their most successful in terms of time in the top division and is possibly their longest unbroken period in the top division.

I really do not know why I have risen to your utter rubbish, but yes the current spell is decent but not quite as good as when we were obviously considered a yoyo club having been in the top leage for 68 years in a row - of the years outside of the top league the 1 year we spent in the third division we were obviosuly trying to gain promotion to the top league then!

Also how are they the most succesful when we have won the top league 6 times (albeit pre second world war) and this bunch of mercanaries have been lucky to stay in the league far too many times in the past 8 years

Finally times promoted from the second league - 8 times, wow what a yoyo in 29 years 28% of the time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I know the perception of long ball is an albatross round his neck, but he was on Sky last season on one of those tactical manager shows talking in-depth about possession stats and he openly admitted West Ham had some of the worst possession stats in the division. He also pointed out that Swansea had the best stats but were still only 9th in the table.

What Hodgson has done with measured success is to make England keep the ball better. The sad thing is he's done pretty well with an ordinary squad and you wonder what Hodgson might have achieved with Sven's side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here