Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tattoos

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The reason a vast majority of people get tattoos has absolutely nothing to do with art, they just do it because they think it looks good - because it is fashionable.

Well that's just not true. If you follow fashions and trends you buy a new pair of jeans from Top Shop you don't sit in a chair for an hour whilst someone scratches ink that will last for the rest of your life in to your skin. Oh and it hurts, quite a lot depending on where you have it done, so it's not exactly something that fickle people are going to partake in for the sake of being fashionable

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's a fashion. Models and celebrities get them, show them off and the fashion conscious public copies. Practically every celebrity has a tattoo these days because it is fashionable.

& you're wrong, it's exactly the kind of thing fickle people do for the sake of being fashionable. Tribal tattoos, stars, roses, tramp stamps etc etc

Forgive me but you have a very narrow minded view on the subject. If you had any tattoos you may have a more open minded and accurate opinion on the reasons why people chose to have them. I don't doubt for a second that a minority of people have them for the sake of being considered fashionable but they are just that, a minority.

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
I suppose that those of us that have tattoos do like to display our personnel art. In the same way that people like to collect memorabilia or art and display it. What's that old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There has to be some element of fashion to it, because many years ago- as I think has been said already- it was only sailors and criminals who had them.

Whereas now they're quite mainstream. I'm sure none of those with tattoos would ever admit to being inspired by him, but there is no doubt whatsoever that someone like David Beckham has had a huge influence on them becoming more socially prevalent. Things like crosses or wings across the shoulder blades were never popular a few years ago.

And, much as most of us find it pretty grotesque, I bet you any money that a few women, somewhere in this country, are even as we speak, contemplating some sort of Cheryl Cole-style all-over-arse tattoo.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I won't argue that it's true in the last ten years or so a lot more young people have gotten tattoos but is that because of people like David Beckham or is it a change in social attitudes towards them? It's true that it was usually sailors and criminals that were inked back in the day but then the 50's happened and ever since almost every youth subculture (Teds, Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skins etc) have donned their fair share of ink so it's not like it's anything new. More wide spread perhaps but not new by any means. Now whether those subcultures were simply fashion statements, ways of life or whatever you want to call them in another debate entirely but I believe that the reasons people choose to have tattoos are far more complex than simply following in the footsteps of the likes of David Beckham and Cheryl Cole etc.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Forgive me but you have a very narrow minded view on the subject. If you had any tattoos you may have a more open minded and accurate opinion on the reasons why people chose to have them. I don't doubt for a second that a minority of people have them for the sake of being considered fashionable but they are just that, a minority.

Can't see how that can possibly be true.

Go back a few years and it was a small minority that had tattoos, and it was very unusual to see a woman wearing one.

In recent years there has been a huge explosion in popularity. That is what they call a fashion I believe.

The scary thing is that fashions will change as they always do and there will be a lot of tattooed people regret their decision. I just hope they do not expect the NHS to foot the bill in trying to reverse them.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can't see how that can possibly be true.

Go back a few years and it was a small minority that had tattoos, and it was very unusual to see a woman wearing one.

In recent years there has been a huge explosion in popularity. That is what they call a fashion I believe.

The scary thing is that fashions will change as they always do and there will be a lot of tattooed people regret their decision. I just hope they do not expect the NHS to foot the bill in trying to reverse them.

So whoever comes up with a fairly simple and affordable mode of tattoo removal will end up extremely rich?

Jan 30, 2008
brits abroad in the med :whistle:, THE D.I.Y ONES AREN'T RECOMMENDED, HOW MANY HAVE HAD REMOVAL'S ,COVER JOBS ,COMES AT A COST .???
regards
DR

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I have a tattoo on my back and one on my chest. They're not on show to the public.. They're for me. So mine are certainly not for fashion purposes. I'm looking to get more done but on the torso is where they stay.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had my first tattoo aged 55 to commemorate retirement and it has developed into a full sleeve "life story". I can cover it when working (I have an honorary role involving attending meetings) and show it when I want. Works all round.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I haven't read any of the posts so I'm bound to tread on someones toes....but I think football TATS are the CHAVIEST thing possible. But then I'm not a tattoo fan in the first place so that probably doesn't start me off strongly on that front.

That's my in-depth analysis of the topic. Ciao.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
To each their own and all that, but what is the actual point in tattoos? I find them revolting and they look stupid, anyone with like sleeves or they're whole back or something covered just look ridiculous.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Really? Not in contempory, creative industries or scientific fields. If you want to be taken seriously in these corporate worlds display a brilliant mind. The CEO of Bank of America has some good quotes about this.

You could be right, but I think these would be exceptions. If you took the senior managers of FTSE listed companies you would find very few with clearly visible tattoos.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's all about expressing individuality and being different. Until 51% of population have one...which they have! In other news, cows are also branded...:)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Had my first tattoo aged 55 to commemorate retirement and it has developed into a full sleeve "life story". I can cover it when working (I have an honorary role involving attending meetings) and show it when I want. Works all round.

Why not write a memoir? That's what posh people do. I suppose depends what sort of life you've had - if you can fit on one arm...?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I haven't read any of the posts so I'm bound to tread on someones toes....but I think football TATS are the CHAVIEST thing possible. But then I'm not a tattoo fan in the first place so that probably doesn't start me off strongly on that front.

That's my in-depth analysis of the topic. Ciao.

They do speed up police identity parades though. Not all bad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was going to have one like the lawyer bloke in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,but the missus wouldnt let me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here