Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tattoos/Piercings and employment

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My opinion is that you should never judge a book by its cover.

People shouldnt be discriminated on because they have Tattoo's it doesnt make them a different person inside, they could be the best employess the company have had.

I used to work with an ex-Royal Marine who had the usual arm full of tattoos and the Head of IT was a stuffy old bird who was forever demanding he covered them up. Despite it being pointed out he was very good at his job she wouldn't change her mind. That was until the day one of her key business systems went down because she'd saved a few pennies when purchasing it ( something pointed out at the time by said ex-RM ). Strange how her attitude changed when she realised that the ONLY techie able to bring the system back from the dead was this ex-RM. It was hilarious watching him take a day to bring it back when he could have done it in a couple of hours while she was taking regular beatings from the board as to why the system was down.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't doubt that many people get tattoos with "meaning", and others consider it to be "art", but that doesn't take it away from the fact that it is comparable to clothing and that it is a fashion.

Just because someone feels their body art is beautiful or meaningful, they shouldn't accept that others, particularly employers and customers, should feel the same way about them.

People who get tattoos know that it will permanently change their attire, it's why they do it. It's obviously a silly thing to do if someone intends to have a career that requires a professional appearance.

I'm in the midst of my professional career and have had zero problems with my tattoos.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don't doubt that many people get tattoos with "meaning", and others consider it to be "art", but that doesn't take it away from the fact that it is comparable to clothing and that it is a fashion.

Just because someone feels their body art is beautiful or meaningful, they shouldn't accept that others, particularly employers and customers, should feel the same way about them.

People who get tattoos know that it will permanently change their attire, it's why they do it. It's obviously a silly thing to do if someone intends to have a career that requires a professional appearance.

You should read my post eariler in the thread. I need to look professional for my job and I certainly don't think it was silly to get tattoos. It was a choice that I, an adult, made and I don't regret it in the slightest. It certainly doesn't affect how good I am at my job or how professional I am.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's got to depend on the nature of the tattoo as much as the fact that you have them, surely? If you have a great big tattoo of a topless woman or a swastika all over a highly visible part of your body, then the chances are, your intentions of becoming a primary school teacher (say) are likely to diminish. If it's in an invisible place (when normally dressed, then the school aren't ever going to know.

I'd have thought employers would judge them the same as they do general appearance, to a degree. If you turn up at an interview unshaven and dressed in a crumpled old polo shirt & jeans when all the other candidates are wearing suits, is that discrimination if the employer decides you're not projecting the right image for them?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure some people get very prominent visible tattoos in order to be unemployable and live forever on housing benefit, jsa etc etc. For that reason, I think it should become law for an employer not to be able to discriminate under any circumstances!

Seen more than one person in Brighton with the full spiders-web-over-the-face jobbie. Got to be in a bad place to have that done. Though as a self-inflicted bar to employment its a poor tattoo choice. Nobody cares what you look like in a call centre.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I work in a school and plenty of the staff have visible tattoos. It doesn't appear to affect their ability and it encompasses the ethos of inclusiveness.

Of course. But I doubt there's many with spider webs across their face, topless ladies visibly showing or swastikas etc.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm sure you do, I don't doubt that for a second. But sadly superficial appearances do matter, it's a fact of life. Having tattoos will be a disadvantage in many careers, which is why this is making the news, even if it hasn't negatively affected yours. For example, I would be concerned if my doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc had an obvious tattoo, if for no other reason other than it is unprofessional.

But that doctor would have gone through the same rigorous training as a doctor without a tattoo.

You're right, it is entirely superficial and it's good to know I'm not like that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh certainly. Obviously it depends on the content of said tattoos.

Same with my job. Though I do quite like the idea of turning up with ACAB tattooed across my knuckles one day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

I have noticed a few people looking at my tattoos when I have been working in their house, now and again an elderly lady will comment on them, I get a question like " were you in the Navy dear? "
I usually reply that I wasn't a pirate or in prison either:)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There is a follow up artical to one on the BBC a few weeks back about people with tattoos getting a hard time of it when it comes to their employers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29211526

My thoughts are this - If you are going to get tattoos/piercings, go for it. If thats how you want to waste your money go crazy. But dont have the ignorence to think its not going to affect you employment options in the future.

I feel little sympathy for these stories. Waaa Waaa Waaa I didnt get promotion / a job ect because I decided to pay someone to put a load of black sh1t under my skin and make me look 'different' and 'cool'.

Thoughts?

Did you ever get turned down for a job because you couldn't spell IGNORANCE? ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But that doctor would have gone through the same rigorous training as a doctor without a tattoo.

You're quite right, imo. But the chances are that if you have "extensive visible" tattoos, you probably won't get accepted into medical school in the first place.

Take Glasgow as an example:

"In addition, student dress must be tidy
and presentable, in keeping with patients’
expectations; except for those with a
moustache or beard, male students should
be clean-shaven; smart trousers are
acceptable dress for women students - very
short skirts or low cut tops are not; extensive
visible body piercing or tattooing is not
acceptable
; for both female and male
students, bare midriffs are not acceptable. "

My emphasis.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_288568_en.pdf

There are several other medical schools (and there are only 30-something in total in the UK) that have similar policies.

I'm not defending it; just making an observation.
"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Many employers, that want their staff to represent them and their brand / image will naturally discriminate against a person with visible tattoos as opposed to without in work uniforms.

Would you every see Virgin Atlantic or BA employ an air hostess who had massive visible tattoos ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
There is a follow up artical to one on the BBC a few weeks back about people with tattoos getting a hard time of it when it comes to their employers.

My thoughts are this - If you are going to get tattoos/piercings, go for it. If thats how you want to waste your money go crazy. But dont have the ignorence to think its not going to affect you employment options in the future.

I feel little sympathy for these stories. Waaa Waaa Waaa I didnt get promotion / a job ect because I decided to pay someone to put a load of black sh1t under my skin and make me look 'different' and 'cool'.

Thoughts?

I'm 100% with you on this. I would never hire anyone with visible tattoos or piercings. Piercings turn my stomach to such an extent that I will avoid a check-out line at a store if it means dealing with a pierced face.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Thoughts?

Thoughts? You're a prick?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here