Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tarmac - Potholes, Floods And Possible Solutions?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
porous tarmac wouldnt be so clever in the winter/cold as the residue water would expand and rip the tarmac apart from within. tarmac is slightly porous anyway and its frost/freezing that starts alot of the damage.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's exactly why I was looking for an alternative location. I couldn't believe he was cycling on such good roads. Certainly wasn't in this country! :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I probably wouldn't be arguing the toss had that been your original answer, as I can 'see' that.
Anyhoo out of curiosity Northern Uganda Roads in Google image, brings up this, to name but a few.
Which sends me back to my original point of, 'why the fook are our roads bad'.

View attachment 39956
View attachment 39957
View attachment 39958
View attachment 39959

anything conspicuous by its absence? thing is those roads in africa are either built by some EU fund or China wanting to get at resources. but often they are just a veneer and tear up in a few years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
but often they are just a veneer and tear up in a few years.
TBH I'd take 'a few years', over what we have now.

As said my council are currently dropping lumps of tarmac straight into holes.
Even I know that's not going to last a few years.

What's stopping me pulling it out, with a plunger, once it's cooled down?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Any excuse to post this video

Didn't start off to well though (unless its a speed bump!):

brick-road.JPG

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
anything conspicuous by its absence? thing is those roads in africa are either built by some EU fund or China wanting to get at resources. but often they are just a veneer and tear up in a few years.
Top Gear proving mine and your part of this thread, right now.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Top Gear proving mine and your part of this thread, right now.

You were right Mr Stat.... probably.In my defence the terrible three appeared to be pretty gobsmacked as well. The rest of the facilities aren't up to much. :ohmy:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Talking of African roads (gross generalisation alert!)...

I've travelled on the Lagos - Badagry expressway. It's the very definition of organised chaos! It's nothing to see vehicles driving down the wrong carriageway by bumping over the central reservation and onto the other side in an attempt to skip round the constant 'go slows'. This was filmed in the dry season, and I was there in the dry season too, but I can't imagine what it's like in the wet season! Anyway, work is now underway to convert it to a 10 lane expressway as it links Lagos with Benin, the neighbouring country, and so is a crucial trade route between the two and onward through to Togo & Ghana.

Lagos state are funding construction themselves I believe but China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation have the contract for the works. With the oil money in Nigeria decent infrastructure really should be in place nationwide already, but sadly, it being Nigeria, I think it's going to be a looooooong wait for completion of this project :(

[yt]TNnxUBUokJ0[/yt]

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I find the comments on African roads very interesting as I was seconded to the Malawi Roads Authority a couple of years ago. Countries like Malawi pride themselves on new road schemes and try to maintain the highest quality in construction using TRL's Road Design Handbooks. Fortunately for these countries, they do not have the temperature range differences which we have to deal with in Europe but need to be careful what bitumen mix they use in case it gets too 'fatty' and bobbles up in the intense heat in the dry season which can cause a skid risk.

Design quality does still vary by contractor, and other countries such as Ethiopia have been affected by the Chinese trying to copy the UK designs badly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cyclist dies after bike hits pothole | UK | News | Daily Express

Christian Brown, 40, who was membership secretary of the Linc*squad cycle club, suffered severe head injuries in the crash – despite wearing a safety helmet.

He was with a group of riders when one of his friends shouted a warning about the hole but he was unable to avoid it.

Maintenance fitter Mr Brown was taken to hospital in Hull after the accident on the A631 in North Willingham, Lincs, 11 days ago.

Despite an emergency operation he lost his fight for life earlier this week. Police are investigating.

A spokesman said: “Clearly there is an issue surrounding a pothole in the road being a potential cause of the crash.”

The hole has since been repaired by council workmen.

Hours before the accident, Mr Brown, of Kirton in Lindsey, Lincs, tweeted: “Nice day at Mablethorpe today. Hope I get to have an ice cream and some candy floss.”

Friend and neighbour Nigel Chudley, 50, hit out yesterday at the state of local roads.

“If this isn’t a wake-up call to the authorities then I don’t know what is. We have complained about the potholes in this area about 26 times in the past six months and still nothing has been done.”

Neighbour Debbie Arthur, 49, said: “It shouldn’t take an accident for someone to take notice.”

Alan Aistrup, head of highways for Lincolnshire County Council, said: “Our records show no reports of potholes in that location and the general condition of the A631 in this locality is very good.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here