Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tarmac - Potholes, Floods And Possible Solutions?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For some reason I started thinking about potholes in our roads today and wondered why, with all the amazing inventions we have, still no one appears to have invented some sort of 'Super Tarmac'.

Also, why aren't roads designed to be porous?, what with all the problems of storm water run off pollution and the increasing amount of floods we're getting.

Had a quick google and found this interesting piece on porous tarmac for starters: The Porous Road Less Traveled | Sightline Daily

So just some idle thoughts ( yes, I was a bit bored) but anyone any ideas on future roads and pavements that are pothole free and as environmentally friendly as it's possible for a road to be?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here's a beaut on the Cuckfield Road between Anstye and the A2300.

1feb13 286.jpg1feb13 287.jpg

Think they will be surveying the road in detail rather than chucking a bucket of tarmac and padding it down as looks like the soil underneath has been washed away!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was recently pondering how good it would be if, instead of lights and headlights, we could build roads that light up from underneath or have some sort of luminous Tarmac. Weird what goes through your mind on the A23 at 1am.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Here's a beaut on the Cuckfield Road between Anstye and the A2300.

View attachment 39326View attachment 39327

Think they will be surveying the road in detail rather than chucking a bucket of tarmac and padding it down as looks like the soil underneath has been washed away!!!

That bit of road is horrible even without the potholes, unless you're a big fan of bouncing up and down in your car.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We seem to have gone from just irritating minor potholes, to third world crater strewn roads.

I assume they weren't fixed last year because of money, and now it's going to cost 10 times as much, not to mention the insurance claims.

Yoda

English & European
Here's a thought. When relaying a road, instead of going for the cheap option of just doing the surface with tar and chippings (which does not drain as well and therefore, freeze thaw erosion will happen more ofter). Why don't they relay the road properly with proper tarmac?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
** POTHOLE ALERT ** If you're driving down Sutton Drove, Seaford there is an absolute monster of a pothole just behind Seaford Leisure Centre that will snap your front Axle (Rose) in two as soon as look at it.

Post your other **POTHOLE ALERTS ** here.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
When I moved to my house about four years ago the only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the road was held together by the potholes.

The council properly resurfaced the entire road a month or so ago, and now its lovely... though now I have to look where to turn onto my drive rather than feel for it!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Report Potholes to West Sussex and East Sussex County Council they are death traps for cyclist ,motorbikes and car wheels. They have a duty of care. How many have had a run in with a potholes ?

** POTHOLE ALERT ** If you're driving down Sutton Drove, Seaford there is an absolute monster of a pothole just behind Seaford Leisure Centre that will snap your front Axle (Rose) in two as soon as look at it.

Post your other **POTHOLE ALERTS ** here.

Also report them (If you are in East Sussex or Brighton) at Access East Sussex : Common Fault Reporting which is nice and user friendly and you can attach a pic. West Sussex have this Love West Sussex - Love Where You Live
which looks a bit less user friendly.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Not convinced porous roads are the solution, you can't grit them, can't shovel from them, and since most potholes occur when water underneath the surface freezes, I imagine you'd need total drainage to prevent any water build up IN the road from freezing, which would surely do just as much damage. You can't build them where the groundwater level is high, and you can't built them on inclines.

Most mentions I've found go back to a single obscure study from 1995 which reports preliminary results for a porous road built in Sweden, which had two ditches dug either side of the road. Probably not a viable solution in a town like Brighton:

Christer Stenmark said:
A field study of an infiltration and detention facility in northern Sweden is presented. Streets in a housing area were reconstructed to increase the permeable area. Permeable asphalt was used covering a coarse fill material and swales (ditches) were constructed along both sides of the streets. The project will include studies of the water balance during different seasons, frost heave and frost penetration of the streets and the stormwater quality. Due to the reduced infiltration capacity during snowmelt periods, detailed studies will be performed on components of the facility that are important for the disposal of meltwater. Some initial tests of the infiltration capacity of permeable asphalt in cold temperatures indicated sufficient capacity during snowmelt periods.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes I know they have less roads to maintain, much less traffic, probably a better climate for tarmac.
But on the flip side I doubt they have the same vast quantities of money pouring in from taxation.

At the end of this 2 minute video about a fella cycling in Uganda the road stretches out from the camera.
Is there one piece of road in Sussex, hell the Uk that looks as smooth as that one.

It's a freakin joke.

Currently Arun District Council are going round dropping blobs of tarmac into the craters, how long will they last?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes I know they have less roads to maintain, much less traffic, probably a better climate for tarmac.
But on the flip side I doubt they have the same vast quantities of money pouring in from taxation.

At the end of this 2 minute video about a fella cycling in Uganda the road stretches out from the camera.
Is there one piece of road in Sussex, hell the Uk that looks as smooth as that one.

It's a freakin joke.

Currently Arun District Council are going round dropping blobs of tarmac into the craters, how long will they last?

Looks like Holland or Belgium, not Uganda Brother.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
De Roos road in Eastbourne theres one so deep I swear you can see Australians

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like Holland or Belgium, not Uganda Brother.
I've watched it again and have no idea how you can reach that conclusion.

How many Dutch houses require a ceiling fan on the porch?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've watched it again and have no idea how you can reach that conclusion.

How many Dutch houses require a ceiling fan on the porch?

Yes, you are right! It's America somewhere, East Coast. Look when he goes past the mail boxes and over the bridge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, you are right! It's America somewhere, East Coast. Look when he goes past the mail boxes and over the bridge.

I probably wouldn't be arguing the toss had that been your original answer, as I can 'see' that.
Anyhoo out of curiosity Northern Uganda Roads in Google image, brings up this, to name but a few.
Which sends me back to my original point of, 'why the fook are our roads bad'.

ugandaroad.jpg
305405_391927564228968_233740072_n.jpg
32824987.jpg
bicycles.1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here