Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

He’s nowhere near his explosive best, probs been dragged down by the general malaise, but still way better starting than alternatives like Veltman. I hope Potter gives him a run of games til the end of season to get back to top form. Hope what Dwayne said about injuries isn’t correct but it’s an open question at the moment

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, crazy isn't it? He gets kicked in the air several times a match. Occasionally the culprit gets a yellow after the third or fourth foul. Tariq gets an automatic yellow for nothing nearly every time.

On the BHAFC commentary they said he was the 4th most fouled player in the PL even though his minutes are less than a lot of players.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we had some competent attackers with pace then he’d probably still be performing at a better standard, but seeing as we’ve slowed our whole game down and all of our attackers look bereft of talent and confidence then I’m not overly surprised that he’s not looking so hot right now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's not been the same since coming back from that injury, and that's a while now. I wonder if he will ever be. Michael Owen and others were also never quite the same.

I don’t agree with this. He’s had some excellent games since coming back from his injury back in October and had a real impact on games. Certainly didn’t look like he’s lost any pace when he was roasting the Leeds left back and Luke Shaw to the extent that both were lucky to not get 2 yellows. He’s just being dragged down by whatever it is that’s pulling the rest of the team down. He’ll benefit as much from a summer reset as anyone.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On the BHAFC commentary they said he was the 4th most fouled player in the PL even though his minutes are less than a lot of players.

And given that the Number One spot is taken by our dear friend Wilf - Lamptey is really higher up the list as most of his fouls are actually fouls rather than dives when a puff of wind passes by.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What the hell has happened to him? He looks a pale shadow of his former self and rarely takes on players now, or looks much of a threat on the rare occasions that he goes forward. Have we coached all that youthful skill, verve and tenacity out of him? I used to get a real buzz when he picked up the ball and moved forward but we see so little of that now. How on earth have we managed to turn such an exciting player into one that now looks distinctly average most of the time? I wish I knew.

Coaching skills out of someone is not possible, its is a hundred percent impossible. You cant coach someone who could swim to no longer be able to swim, someone who can drive to no longer be able to drive, someone who can ride a bicycle cant be untaught how to ride it.

Thought he was good today and think he has been in most of the games but he is not back to where he was before his injury, and may never be.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I don't buy he is scared to get injured. He always gets his toes to the ball, through pace, and always gets fouled, when going for a loose ball/50-50.

That's is not the actions of someone who is afraid of getting injured.

The defenders always drop 5 yards and try and show him down the wing to the corner flag, with another player backing them up.

He either tries to beat them or pass the ball back slowing play down. Before, he only had one player to beat, and did so at pace, rolling the balls across the box, or cut in and take a shot.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Coaching skills out of someone is not possible, its is a hundred percent impossible. You cant coach someone who could swim to no longer be able to swim, someone who can drive to no longer be able to drive, someone who can ride a bicycle cant be untaught how to ride it.

Thought he was good today and think he has been in most of the games but he is not back to where he was before his injury, and may never be.

You often hear football fans come out with this bollocks about coaching skills out of players that they have been practicing since they were kids. It's human nature that people always want someone to blame and can never accept the fact that sometimes form and confidence take a dive.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

disagree I think you can change a persons behaviour or certainly reprioritise their responses and that's how coaches develop football systems - players not encouraged to hit it long just build from the back, keep passing the ball around rather than use your initiative. Modern game has turned into chess .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
disagree I think you can change a persons behaviour or certainly reprioritise their responses and that's how coaches develop football systems - players not encouraged to hit it long just build from the back, keep passing the ball around rather than use your initiative. Modern game has turned into chess .

Yes you can coach what kind of decisions a player makes on the pitch, which may or may not be the case here (personally I think GP would like Lamptey to play exactly as before the injury but who knows), but you cant coach skills out of someone which was what I was reacting to.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes you can coach what kind of decisions a player makes on the pitch, which may or may not be the case here (personally I think GP would like Lamptey to play exactly as before the injury but who knows), but you cant coach skills out of someone which was what I was reacting to.

same effect though....

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Lacks confidence going forwards now that he doesn't have the pace of Webster and White behind him in a mobile back 3.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think we as fans massively over rate him as a player and expect too much from him. Thought he did a good job today.

He’s just not in the same league of RB/RWB’s as Reece James and TAA as I’ve seen him talked about on here at times. I also think Livramento is ahead of him as a player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s been playing like this for a while. Teams have worked him out after bursting on to the scene as a surprise package.

He wasn’t terrible today either. He did take players on at times. More often than others too. He also had the ball an awful lot against a poor Norwich side. You can’t expect him to run at and beat players 50 times a match.

I don’t think teams have worked him out. He was all about pushing the ball past an opponent, accelerating past and beating them for pace. The fact he’s not doing this isn’t anything to do with our opponents.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t think teams have worked him out. He was all about pushing the ball past an opponent, accelerating past and beating them for pace. The fact he’s not doing this isn’t anything to do with our opponents.

Indeed. If it took teams two years to "work out" that Lamptey's style of play is to be exceptionally fast and run past you, then every match analyst in the whole league needs to get sacked.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Said a lot to me when we were trying to sign Livramento

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Like any young player who’s relied on pace as his primary asset Tariq is going to have to improve on a lot of other aspects of his game. He ha plenty of time.

This.

He is not a good passer or crosser of the ball, so when he can't beat a man (or even when he does), there is often very little end product beyond a hit and hope ball into the box (with only one attacker in there).

If he can improve his delivery and play in the final 3rd, he'll be unstoppable.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
He is a RWB not a RB. He is so much less effective in a flat 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here