Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think it’s up to Tariq to define his identity and let’s be frank his actions speak louder than words.

He has had the privilege to play at England youth level and due to his heritage he retained the same privilege with Ghana. Given this change I suspect to the Ghanaian public he will be playing up his Ghanaian credentials……in short he is “coming home”.

To that extent getting the Ghanaian public onside could be his biggest challenge………as demonstrated by this comment in the Ghanaian news…….

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=1550318&comment=33541946#com

To quote……

“My question is if we take the likes of Tariq and Salisu, what then happens to the Kofi Kyeres and the likes who, in the time of uncertainty, sacrificed and got us qualified? It should never be monkey dey work and baboon dey chop.”

Tough crowd over there………

That is one opinion, no idea from that what the crowd think.
Ghana have asked him to choose to play for them, he has accepted, for similar reasons to his choosing to move to Brighton when he had the option to stay at Chelsea.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I do notice that CF has been won round by the woke trans agenda, and now thinks that everyone can choose their identity.

I’m a classic liberal, people are entitled to believe that they are animal, mineral or vegetable as far as I am concerned, so long as they aren’t causing any broader harm.

Equally, and back on topic it’s not unreasonable for Tariq to feel more loyalty to his Ghanaian roots, despite being born and bought up here. I have no particular truck with that view, I’m surprised that some feel otherwise.

He is not unique in that respect, there are many people from different nationalities that arrive here, make their money without any particular sense of affinity for this country and why should they?

From a BHA perspective whilst I wish him well, I know he won’t have any affinity for BHA either…….we know this, once a bigger cheque turns up he will be gone.

Some people are just too sentimental.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That is one opinion, no idea from that what the crowd think.
Ghana have asked him to choose to play for them, he has accepted, for similar reasons to his choosing to move to Brighton when he had the option to stay at Chelsea.

You can check the Black Star Twitter feeds then. This move by Tariq and others is not being universally celebrated on the tweets. Sure there is a constituency that want the best players, however others see it differently especially given the squad that played in AFCON and WC qualifications is now being broken up by Ghanaians that have not come through it’s local youth systems. There is a view that the message being transmitted is that local players will be denied the opportunity to play for Ghana at the expense of more privileged Ghanaians that have already played for other countries.

You’re entitled to believe I am just making that up of course……..as this board demonstrates it’s much more likely that everyone think the same way and just like you.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It couldn't just be that he has two avenues of international football and he's chosen the easier one? You know, like Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, etc. Actually loads of players down the years.

You're a MORON.

Tariq has chosen “the easier one”………..jeez, thanks for the input Ron.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
this place never changes .....some top notch opinionistas on this board and everyone else is wrong.

Lamptey has chosen Ghana as he will not have to get past Reeses James and TAA in the queue ....with Southgates lack of sideways vision these two will virtually kill Tariq's England career before it starts , which as long as he's an Albion player and Southgate is England manager will remain pre embryonic at best .......it really is a no brainer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
this place never changes .....some top notch opinionistas on this board and everyone else is wrong.

Lamptey has chosen Ghana as he will not have to get past Reeses James and TAA in the queue ....with Southgates lack of sideways vision these two will virtually kill Tariq's England career before it starts , which as long as he's an Albion player and Southgate is England manager will remain pre embryonic at best .......it really is a no brainer.

That's what I said in post #1863.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or he’s ‘chosen’ Ghana because he considers himself more Ghanaian than English. Which isn’t surprising given his parents heritage, he has set up academies in Ghana, and has frequently travelled to Ghana since being with us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

So you are saying that are right and everyone else is wrong..?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can check the Black Star Twitter feeds then. This move by Tariq and others is not being universally celebrated on the tweets. Sure there is a constituency that want the best players, however others see it differently especially given the squad that played in AFCON and WC qualifications is now being broken up by Ghanaians that have not come through it’s local youth systems. There is a view that the message being transmitted is that local players will be denied the opportunity to play for Ghana at the expense of more privileged Ghanaians that have already played for other countries.

You’re entitled to believe I am just making that up of course……..as this board demonstrates it’s much more likely that everyone think the same way and just like you.

Checked it, but not extensively, didn't find anyone that seemed unhappy at the prospect of the newly available players, some seemed concerned that there were not more names added? From what I saw there was a fair bit of excitement at Lamptey being available.

Edit. Just to add, the players they have added to their possibilities are just that, additional possibilities, the manager is not obligated to pick them over any existing players, so if there is any issue from fans over who is selected, it should be with the manager.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's quite interesting everyone's takes on why Tariq is choosing now to play for Ghana.

I have an analogy I'd like to share. My mate moved to Manchester in the 80s along with his wife. Both very much Scottish. The had 3 sons all born and bread on England. Two of them very much grew up supporting England (sadly) :) - The other always stayed very loyal to the Nationality of his parents and supported Scotland. He always wants England to do well to.And his other two sons always want to see Scotland do well.

However, the crunch came in the 90s when they were all very young Scotland played against England in the Euros.

My mate was always unsure of his son who had chosen to support Scotland. He truly didn't care either way. The boys were all born in England and he felt they all deserved the right to choose their own Football and Nationality Allegiance.

I never forget him telling me how proud he was to see his little lad cry when Scotland lost. Because he knew the he had chosen his own identity.

He was happy his other boys were happy but he knew for sure that the other hadn't been swayed by school friends or his brothers.

Quite a sweet story. But I do hope my mate braced the lad for the years of football misery that was to follow :) .

So my thoughts on Tariq are maybe he just feels slightly loyal to his parents and his heritage. That would be the reason that his parents would probably want his decision to be based on I would have thought. ABIT like my mate was with his son.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Your points are all totally valid points on this thread. I don't see any harm in what you have said - I've seen worse comments from you. Even the terminology you used in one post which came across as racist terminology. You have explained the origin of that terminology so for me I'm this instance I don't see an issue. My God I don't believe I'm defending someone who's use of language I have cringed at in the past :) . However, I do think I have to be fair in my assessment.

It would be nice if you did drop some of your " colourful language" because you do make very good points sometimes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't believe I forgot this

[tweet]1563890142653423616[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Weird one Lamptey a full on £50m asset wasting away on the bench.

I might get flamed for this but since his injury he has not looked anything like a 50 million player to me.

Not saying he won't recover it but with very limited game time since the injury he has not looked much better than just OK in comparison to how he arrived here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I might get flamed for this but since his injury he has not looked anything like a 50 million player to me.

Not saying he won't recover it but with very limited game time since the injury he has not looked much better than just OK in comparison to how he arrived here.
Well he’s hardly played, against West Ham home game he was electric also roasted the full back March could beat at Fulham needs game time.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well he’s hardly played, against West Ham home game he was electric also roasted the full back March could beat at Fulham needs game time.

He needs more than one trick, otherwise he will keep going inside (or back) and the attacks come to nothing. Hopefully this will return with his fitness and confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here