Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Are you now starting to consider young Tariq more a winger (or someone competing for a place in the front 3), than you are a defender, (some competing with Veltman for a place at right back or right wing back) ?

I mean, obviously under GP he's both to a degree, but where do you see his future predominantly lying position-wise?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Are you now starting to consider young Tariq more a winger (or someone competing for a place in the front 3), than you are a defender, (some competing with Veltman for a place at right back or right wing back) ?

I mean, obviously under GP he's both to a degree, but where do you see his future predominantly lying position-wise?

He is such an attacking threat with his pace and crossing ability (his cross to Maupay on Saturday and for Welbeck last night spring to mind) that a future on the right of an attacking three seems a distinct possibility.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

He did seem to almost be playing upfront yesterday, understandably when chasing a goal.

I'm torn on this - I think he could be a very effective winger, but he could start to get marked out of the game. In some ways he's harder to deal with when making overlapping runs, and the opposition LB has a choice to make of dealing with him or another attacking player

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The game (Potter, anyway) is not really about fixed positions/formations - think he'll continue to play RB, RWB and RW depending on opponents, state of game etc. For us at the moment my preference is when we play 3 CBs, with Cucu and Lamptey as wingbacks (in reality even that ends up being 4 at the back because only one of them is typically defending at any time, the other is then the outlet further up[ the pitch). Lamptey in front of Veltman is a great combination

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting that him and Alzate came on and Alzate went right back.

Of course we were chasing a game so there was a particular plan for him to be up there.

In my mind, I still think Lamptey's best position is wing back, but understand there are times he'll be asked to do other jobs because of his particular qualities

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any team singing Tariq, this summer, really needs to go all in and buy Cucu as well.

Pretty much guarantees Champion League football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you're saying that if we keep them, we'll finish in the top four?

Nope, we're holding them back.

All the time the team talk is:-

'so who's turn is it to screw us over today?'

Those boys are on a hiding to nothing!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hush my mouth, but...hasn't he lost half a yard of pace since his injury?

He's still outstanding, tricksy, clever, a great crosser of the ball, a brilliant player etc; but I don't remember the last time he knocked the ball past a defender then simply ran round him onto the free ball.

Just me, then?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hush my mouth, but...hasn't he lost half a yard of pace since his injury?

He's still outstanding, tricksy, clever, a great crosser of the ball, a brilliant player etc; but I don't remember the last time he knocked the ball past a defender then simply ran round him onto the free ball.

Just me, then?

Last night, Shaw should have gone for pulling him down. Defenders are genuinely scared of him, it’s why we won’t be able to keep him long.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Any team singing Tariq, this summer, really needs to go all in and buy Cucu as well.

Pretty much guarantees Champion League football.

I say that we just keep them both seeing as they’re both contracted until summer 2025.

Summer’s departure of Bissouma should keep the incoming transfer funds ticking over sufficiently for next year.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I say that we just keep them both seeing as they’re both contracted until summer 2025.

Summer’s departure of Bissouma should keep the incoming transfer funds ticking over sufficiently for next year.

Yes almost certain we'll get a decent fee for Yves and not impossible the likes of Trossard and Maupay will be sold too given their contractual situation. This will be annoying, but not disastrous as 3 replacements are likely coming in from USG, (who we hope will ultimately get up to similar levels).

Selling Lamptey and/or Cucurella though? We'd have to find quality replacements from outside the club. They would be the last players i'd be selling

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting that him and Alzate came on and Alzate went right back.

Of course we were chasing a game so there was a particular plan for him to be up there.

In my mind, I still think Lamptey's best position is wing back, but understand there are times he'll be asked to do other jobs because of his particular qualities

Not initially he didn't IIRC, but soon after both came on the change was made.
In answer to your original question, Tariq can (and will) play both RB and RW, especially under a manager that demands flexibility like Potter. I do wonder whether RWB suits him best though as, playing as wide as possible, stretches the pitch the most which not only makes the most of his pace, but opens up space elsewhere for other players to exploit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

They might not want to stay, all the time they're playing Champion League quality football knowing someone in the team is about to make another Isthmian League mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here