Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair dos. Slightly odd to keep the biggest story under wraps until now given the conference was yesterday lunch time though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's really not - it happens every week that info from the Potter press conference is drip-fed out. All those who take part agree to that and if they break the agreement, they'll probably not be invited back.

It looks as though one journo tried to stoke up a bit of interest by suggesting some big embargoed news reveal tonight when there wasn't one.

Lamptey suffered a setback which the Albion themselves had already stated publicly. Could he be out for the season - yes. Could he be back this season - yes. There's been no new information tonight and there was no club embargoed news announcement.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It's really not - it happens every week that info from the Potter press conference is drip-fed out. All those who take part agree to that and if they break the agreement, they'll probably not be invited back.

It looks as though one journo tried to stoke up a bit of interest by suggesting some big embargoed news reveal tonight when there wasn't one.

Lamptey suffered a setback which the Albion themselves had already stated publicly. Could he be out for the season - yes. Could he be back this season - yes. There's been no new information tonight and there was no club embargoed news announcement.

Interesting, does sound like it's a case of that then.

To be honest I've been a big critic of the frequent smoke and mirrors but if it's the case that he might be out for the season I'd rather they were up front about it like this then string us along with false hope that he might be back sooner

That said, let's hope we don't get any more injuries at fullback!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think we are relatively open about injuries with the caveat that we usually wait a few days to announce the extent of the injury and the likely timescale which i assume is just to have expert medical opinion. If Tariq has had a set back in his rehab, he’s had a set back. Assume we’ll try to get him back to match fitness as quickly as possible but there must come a point where it’s not worth the effort to get him back for the last couple of games to let him sit on the bench and instead make sure we take our time so that he is fully ready for preseason.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
The next one will be about Webster had a tweek that we are concerned with, out for 6-8 weeks maybe the season.it is frustrating but we have to deal with it.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I never understand why the club always downplay injuries when they first happen (e.g. Lamptey, Webster). Surely it would be better to say they’ll be out for ages so it’s then a bonus for everyone if they come back earlier.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I never understand why the club always downplay injuries when they first happen (e.g. Lamptey, Webster). Surely it would be better to say they’ll be out for ages so it’s then a bonus for everyone if they come back earlier.

Why? It's very likely they won't know. It will need to be assessed and longer injuries may or may not need an operation which may or may not go well. And what are you doing to the psychology of the player? Even if he understands it is marketing spin it'd be pretty hard not to be disappointed inside when you read on the internet that you'll be out for a couple of months when the physio told you it'd be two weeks.

Additionally further setbacks very often occur. As players come back they may not be 100% and will unnaturally compensate, putting pressure on another muscle or joint. Or they push too hard and re-injure the same thing. I've done it with running where I've come back from a tendon and knee injury in my left leg and gone straight back on the bench again with a problem with my right leg because I've been over compensating and only stretching the left.

it is frustrating but we have to deal with it.

This. We never USED to know unless it was in the paper. I can remember turning up at the Goldstone and the team was on the back of the programme and then you'd hear "in a change to the published team Geoff Cooper will be replacing Doug Rougive" and that was it. Fans, players and manager just cracked on with it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It’s because they don’t know. They have state-of-the-art diagnosis, but each human body is different and there’s a large degree of guesswork when it comes to recovery. Some players bounce back quickly, others less so.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Sad for Tariq if he is out for rest of the season. He is a big miss.

I think lately I’m even more concerned about missing Webster in the short term.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I'll nail my colours to the mast and say we'll have several dead rubbers at the end of the season that we'd be better playing Karbownik in than Tariq anyway

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Out for the season after having surgery, according to the athletic.

https://theathletic.com/news/tariq-lamptey-injury-brighton-latest/gyWOwH4G3TVy

Not entirely unexpected I guess.

Only four fit natural defenders in the squad then until Webster is back (no setbacks or delays please), the options being two converted central midfielders (both right footed), one of which is a 19 year old who played in the 30th ranked league (that is below Azerbajdzjan and Belarus fyi) in Europe..

Not the best situation. Wonder how Schelotto feels about that one-year extension he turned down in order to (not) get a multi year contract somewhere, he would probably have featured quite a bit.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
guess the positive is no one will buy him until he's re poved his fitness , certainly not at the numbers we would want.

So just imagine a fit and fully flying Lamptey in the championship ( worst case )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here