Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taping the knowledge of NSC......Castles?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you find yourself travelling through East Sussex then get off the train at Pevensey... historic church, castle ruins and pub with garden all walking from train station...

as for the castle not much left but masses of history and worth a visit

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Wales is full of brilliant castles. One of my favourites is Carreg Cennen though it would probably take you a month of Sundays to get there by train.

carreg-cennen-castle-gallery-1.jpg

Would also recommend this website http://www.castlewales.com/home.html

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Attachments

• wales_n.jpg
    wales_n.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 47

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you visit Arundel, head slightly North and see the smaller, but equally as lovely, Amberley Castle.

299.jpg

When I lived in Amberley Lady Emett (who lived in the castle at the time) allowed all us kids to play in the hay barns and have free run of the farm.

Those were very happy days to say the least, first 9 years of my life were at Amberley.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Mum and I booked to come into England once more this coming April. We did a fair bit of your touristy stuff on our last excursion over (Tower of London, Stonehenge etc) and looking to visit some much older and historic stops in the Country. Castles! The only 2 of note I know of are Warwick and Arundel but am looking for any suggestions on others? We will have rail passes to get us anywhere so that's no issue. So fire away NSC suggestions on Castles in England?

In the South East: Leeds, Deal and Bodiam are worth a visit. Also Canterbury Cathedral.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Restormel Castle in Cornwall I seem to remember being quite nice when I went there with school. Here's a picture I got from their website :D :

View attachment 47512

Seconded. Small but very nice, great setting but not easily accessible by rail I think. I recall It's main claim to fame seems to have been a brief visit from the Black Prince...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Castles are right up my street. I ruddy love them.

Just along the road, North of Hastings, you've got the gorgeous Bodiam castle,

5.jpg

Bodiam is lovely but if it's authenticity you're after you may want to look into it further as I think it may have been a rich man's plaything as opposed to a functioning castle that saw any action or had any historical, strategic importance etc.

I know it's a Palace not a Castle but Hampton Court is a decent historical day out and very accessible by rail.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
If you're in the north east then Raby castle in Darlington is well worth a visit.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Dunster Castle in Somerset is worth a visit, in a very nice village with some good pubs.
Rochester Castle -Kent.
Another vote for Corfe Castle Dorset, it's worth a visit just for the views of the surrounding countryside, look out for Far Corfe, if you can't see it ask a local!:whistle:

as for the castle not much left but masses of history and worth a visit
In an odd sort of way, my favourite bit of Pevensey Castle is the concrete construction from WW2 - proving that Pevensey has been in continuous use for military purposes from the time of the Romans right up until the mid-20th century.

What, the ACTUAL round table???

As with all matters of ancient history / legend, there is always debate, but yes, according to them it is (or more accurately, the round table, upon which that part of the King Arthur legend, was based)

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/greathall/roundtable-new.htm
Nah. When I was a kid in Newport, we all believed that King Arthur kept his table in the Roman amphitheatre at Caerleon. That's worth a visit, btw.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
In an odd sort of way, my favourite bit of Pevensey Castle is the concrete construction from WW2 - proving that Pevensey has been in continuous use for military purposes from the time of the Romans right up until the mid-20th century.

I like the map at Pevensey which shows you the old coastline when it was built, if you look up there's on obvious outline once you've seen the map.

Isn't Herstmonceux the only brick built castle in the country?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't bother with Arundel. It's more like a theme park than a castle and mostly relatively modern. Go to Bodiam, Hever, and if you have time some of the Welsh ones such as Harlech and Carnarvon.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
This map is pretty comprehensive!

http://www.britainirelandcastles.com/map/England.html

The best concentrations are probably in North Wales, Cornwall and the Northumberland coast.

Oops, just noticed that the Welsh ones aren't on that map!!

Cornwall's castles are not as good as those in Sussex- Pendennis and St Mawes are Tudor gun forts (as is Camber near Winchelsea), Tintagel is a pile of rubble in a spectacular setting and Restormal is just a small round keep on a motte.

Just outside Sussex is Rochester - where the film Ironclad - was set. It even has the repaired tower that can be seen falling corn in the movie

mu5yvysy.jpg

Conway castle in North Wales is well worth a visit

te9e5ury.jpg

As is Stirling in Scotland

tymehuge.jpg

Bodiam is the best in the country though!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Another vote here for Corfe Castle - Mrs Frogs and I visted it recently on a lovely clear sunny day. Views from the top are amazing and it is still an impressive sight despite being a ruin. If you are in the area, a visit to Kingston Lacey is a must - a superb large country house, it is the biggest single donation ever made to the National Trust at something like £86m for the house and estate, and was owned by the family that last occupied Corfe Castle.

The best complete castle is Gormenghast which was inspired by Arundel Castle. Mervyn Peake lived in Burpham and was buried there.

20131010-125120.jpg

Personally, have always favoured Bramber, which is great to walk around and imagine what it was like. There's a sort of historical justice associated with the ruins of Norman Castles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here