Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taping the knowledge of NSC......Castles?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Windsor Castle?

I doubt it's cheap, but it's easy to get to and is pretty imposing from any angle. Hey, if it's good enough for Her Majesty...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Peever - are you only after the romanticised 'English-looking' medieval castles, or is it military history that interests you? If its the latter, then Dover Castle could be a good one, and also Portchester Castle (Portsmouth).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also- a long way north, but Alnwick Castle is pretty nice too (and in a lovely area with lots of other stuff worth visiting).

They used it for external Hogwarts shots in some of the Harry Potter movies. Was also used in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves I believe.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Assuming your rail ticket allows you to cross into Wales, they do have some pretty textbook old castles there too.

This is Caerphilly (it's got a MOAT and everything: all proper castles should have a moat in my book)

CaerphillyCastle_edited-1.jpg

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Peever - are you only after the romanticised 'English-looking' medieval castles, or is it military history that interests you? If its the latter, then Dover Castle could be a good one, and also Portchester Castle (Portsmouth).

More the military history behind them. But not a requirement for any of course

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And Caernarfon Castle.

caernarfon-castle-web.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
More the military history behind them. But not a requirement for any of course

I suspect the Welsh ones would have loads of military history, as they were mostly devoted to keeping out the nasty English :D

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
_44822071_castle2_big.jpg

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Lewes castle is always good

my uncle is a history teacher, and he took me round there as a kid, giving me a lesson as we went - it was awesome

Ypres is good too

Canterbury is good to see as a city with some medieval charm to it, they have the canterbury tales tours, the river tours and the city is surrounded by walls too which you can walk across/around

Just avoid it on a Monday/Thursday/Friday night as then its full of blokes stagering out of Wetherspoons looking for a fight

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Lewes castle is always good

my uncle is a history teacher, and he took me round there as a kid, giving me a lesson as we went - it was awesome

Ypres is good too

Canterbury is good to see as a city with some medieval charm to it, they have the canterbury tales tours, the river tours and the city is surrounded by walls too which you can walk across/around

Just avoid it on a Monday/Thursday/Friday night as then its full of blokes stagering out of Wetherspoons looking for a fight

Mondays? lol

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I suspect the Welsh ones would have loads of military history, as they were mostly devoted to keeping out the nasty English :D

Not really, most of the castles in Wales were built to enable keeping the locals in line - by natives and interlopers alike.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Come to Winchester.

Within a five minute walk of the train station, you have:

All that remains of the original medieval castle, is the Great Hall, which is worth a visit, and contains King Arthur's legendary round table. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/greathall/greathall-history.htm

Winchester Cathedral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Cathedral

Wolvesey Castle http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/wolvesey-castle-old-bishops-palace
My wife was the Custodian of Wolvesey, for two summers, a few years back.

wolvesey.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here