Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talksport

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
'laddish' is probably the exact opposite word I'd use for Max Rushden and his shows. He actively seeks to not be that. I'm amazed that's how some could perceive his show, but you know, each to their own.

It frustrates me that they don't appear to release the show as a podcast. I have to listen back to the show through the site and skip through the ads. It's FINE but not ideal.

Guess the attendance
Guess the player height
Autobiography Wars
The 2 word phone-in.

Love it.
Maybe laddish was the wrong word and 'dumbed down' would be a better description. I listen to Rushden and Glendenning on the excellent Guardian Football podcasts and I occasionally listen to their Sunday morning slot on TS if I’m driving somewhere. They become different people, mainly because TS is propped up by gambling company sponsorship, gambling shows, presenters and listeners who seem obsessed with gambling. Rushden is well known as being anti-gambling and has done a couple of excellent Football Weekly specials on the topic. Yet he has to josh his way through all this stuff and pretend he’s ok with it.

If you like 'guess the attendance' and that embarrassing ripoff of Mornington Ctescent, then fair enough. You are the TalkSport demographic and I suppose I’m not. Also, not sure if it’s just my 15 yo car radio but the reception is dreadful where I am, east of Eastbourne, which makes trying to listen to it even more painful than it already is.

As you rightly say, each to their own.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agreed re: Martin Lewis. I appreciate he has done some good consumer wise but he also gives wrong advice sometimes. It’s dangerous how much sway he holds these days - I saw a poll recently that people would trust his advice ahead of qualified professionals who would be looking at an individual’s circumstance in isolation.
He has done some good, I can't deny that. Equally, you just know if you were on a pub crawl with him, he'd be the one who was first to the bar in the spoons and disappear to the bog when it was the round in the boutique cocktail lounge. Bet he's at home now counting his penny jar.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe laddish was the wrong word and 'dumbed down' would be a better description. I listen to Rushden and Glendenning on the excellent Guardian Football podcasts and I occasionally listen to their Sunday morning slot on TS if I’m driving somewhere. They become different people, mainly because TS is propped up by gambling company sponsorship, gambling shows, presenters and listeners who seem obsessed with gambling. Rushden is well known as being anti-gambling and has done a couple of excellent Football Weekly specials on the topic. Yet he has to josh his way through all this stuff and pretend he’s ok with it.

If you like 'guess the attendance' and that embarrassing ripoff of Mornington Ctescent, then fair enough. You are the TalkSport demographic and I suppose I’m not. Also, not sure if it’s just my 15 yo car radio but the reception is dreadful where I am, east of Eastbourne, which makes trying to listen to it even more painful than it already is.

As you rightly say, each to their own.
I'm not the Talksport demographic, but I like Rushden and Barry/Charlie. It's harmless entertainment, self-deprecating and taking the piss out of other radio show formats. H&J (or H&B) I quite like, largely because they go beyond football, or the big football stories of the day (there was a guy on yesterday who'd set up a charity repurposing football boots for people here and abroad).

Everything else (apart from the odd bit of commentary and very occasionally the sports bar) is not for me, Clive. Plus it's only ever on when I'm in the car – I would never seek it out specifically...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A few months ago I ditched Virgin TV in order to save myself a fortune. The only thing I really miss is Sky Sports News, so TS is a sort of substitute - a very poor substitute at that - for it. Some of the presenters are really annoying, as are some of the 'funny' bits. As long as it sticks to football, it's generally not too bad. More as background noise really.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yep. Max Rushden is just a brilliant broadcaster. His show with Barry/Charlie is fantastic.

At 37 I have lost any ability to get remotely upset/angry/argumentative about football. False anger/viewpoints/debate to trigger discussions is tiresome but the core of what Talksport is. Max and A N Other is just fun.

When you still employ Alan Brazil as a morning presenter you know things are pretty poor. His job is mostly to read.....and he can't.
I do enjoy Saturdays autobiography wars and the ridicule of the sausage man matter-farce

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I never knew there was such a show and I'm not sure what's worse.

I can't stand ML. The fact he signs off on Twitter for the weekend is the ultimate bellendery sign and his tedious tips on how to save 5p on a can of beans in his smug style make Eddie Howe seem almost humble. If the bloke was an Ice cream, he'd surely eat himself.

Quoting myself which could strongly be argued as bell end behaviour but anyway. WAFC

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
He might legitimately be my favourite personality in football - always comes across SO well.
On the Top Flight Time Machine podcast Andy Dawson has told a couple of anecdotes about encountering McCoist at Sunderland when Dawson was a young boy and Sunderland fan and McCoist comes across great in those too. Not just a decent person but one who knows how to make people feel special too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quoting myself which could strongly be argued as bell end behaviour but anyway. WAFC

I absolutely love Martin Lewis (on Nihal's programme on R5).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here