Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talking point Ben White

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yep, wrong system, wrong player, wrong club.

To be fair any CB in the country, with the possible exception of VVD, will be shitting it prior to playing against Lukaku! Ultimately unless Arsenal revert to a system that works for BW we’re looking at a fish out of water, or a duck out of water (waddling about) at best.

It’s early days, but that price tag carries so much pressure… I wish him well.

I reckon Duffy will be counting the days to playing Lukaku!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If they're insistent on playing a back four, I can't help but think they bought the wrong CB from us. White is exceptional in a three with two warriors doing the heavy lifting, but weak in a four having to do it himself. His game is the tidy up and transition.
White's success I feel will ultimately depend on who's partnered with him. If they don't get it sorted in the first dozen matches I can see Leeds sniffing around him in January.
Best of luck to him, but I feel Arsenal are always likely to be a bit of a shambles under Arteta.

Agree with most of your post, but sorry thats loony tunes. Even if White is a total disaster and scores 6 own goals between now and Christmas, there is NO WAY Arsenal are going to dump a £50m signing who's on a 5 year deal after half a season. And Leeds clearly sniff a lot of things, but they certainly don't deal in those numbers.

White will have a settling in period, he might not entirely hit the ground running. But he has the skill and talent to develop there. Its ridiculous how he's being written off by some after one poor display in the first day at school at Brentford. He'll come good.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Agree with most of your post, but sorry thats loony tunes. Even if White is a total disaster and scores 6 own goals between now and Christmas, there is NO WAY Arsenal are going to dump a £50m signing who's on a 5 year deal after half a season. And Leeds clearly sniff a lot of things, but they certainly don't deal in those numbers.

White will have a settling in period, he might not entirely hit the ground running. But he has the skill and talent to develop there. Its ridiculous how he's being written off by some after one poor display in the first day at school at Brentford. He'll come good.

Not sure anyone is writing him off. I was telling Arsenal fans at work before last Friday that they have a future star on their hands. Plus they both reckoned they’d lose against Brentford. But they need to be patient as he’s nowhere near the finished article and as others pointed out and we al saw, he’s not too strong in the air. From my limited perspective, Arsenal are still very much a work in progress and have a long way to go in meeting their aspirations of being a top 4 side; years away.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
White struggled with us for the first third of the season in exactly the same ways he struggled against Brentford. But he/Potter/the team improved/sorted it out and he became fantastic.

I have absolutely no doubt he can excel at Arsenal. If you can excel as a defender on the Premier Lee league at Brighton, under the pressure we often came under, you can excel at Arsenal.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Football and football reporting in particular is a such an in the moment reactionary thing.

From one week to the next the reporting of a players talents can be completely chalk and cheese.

He's been at Arsenal for what a month? Hardly enough time to truly get settled in and form a partnership with anyone.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
White struggled with us for the first third of the season in exactly the same ways he struggled against Brentford. But he/Potter/the team improved/sorted it out and he became fantastic.

I have absolutely no doubt he can excel at Arsenal. If you can excel as a defender on the Premier Lee league at Brighton, under the pressure we often came under, you can excel at Arsenal.

Let’s hope that Arsenal don’t rumble that one when looking to replace Arteta.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I just look at Arsenal and see a team that's managed to ruin in 1 game all that work Bielsa did to make him worth 50 million quid , then laugh a bit .

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Football and football reporting in particular is a such an in the moment reactionary thing.

From one week to the next the reporting of a players talents can be completely chalk and cheese.

He's been at Arsenal for what a month? Hardly enough time to truly get settled in and form a partnership with anyone.

This will be all about Ben’s mentality if he’s a success or not. At Arsenal the micro-scrutiny from main stream media will be 10 fold what it was at Brighton, add in the fans expectations due to the price tag and he doesn’t have much of a honeymoon period. Jury is out on Arteta and even if they do change manager there is no guarantee with that shite club that a replacement will be any more sensible.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
My gut feel is that Ben White is going to have a nightmare at Arsenal unless they play a very physical player alongside him to counter his weaknesses. The price tag means he'll get no patience from supporters and many more performances like Brentford and he's going to become a scapegoat quickly. At the end of the day I couldnt care less though. We've massively inflated a fee compared to what he's worth and he is no longer our player. TB has played a blinder.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Arsenal were always the wrong club for White to go to but hey....we're £50m better off so does this face look bothered???

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Arsenal f**ked up 2 or 3 summers ago by not offering us £60m for Dunk & Duffy but brought in David Luiz instead.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Seems to be a pretty unanimous sentiment on this thread.

As a ball playing centre half Ben looked brilliant in a 3 with Dunky and Webster.

He looked horribly exposed on Friday night. For £50 million I suspect most Arse fans would want more of a complete package, but that's not our concern.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Tough start for Ben at Arsenal. Rumours he has got COVID so misses game today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here