Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talking point Ben White

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes i know he's not our player anymore but, from a football point of view do you think he'll be able to step up to the incoming bombardment of longballs he's going to face this season?

Brilliant player when he has real strength next to him, be fascinating to see if he can adjust his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsWrkP7h88

Yes.

He must have faced even more long balls in the Championship with Leeds in a back 4. He just needs the right players with him. He is no VVD though but I suppose he was £25m cheaper.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Let's just wait and see, before writing him off.

The great difficulty for White is not writing him off, it's writing Arsenal off. Arteta is going to be under huge pressure potentially before the schools are even back, and White could be the focus of anger at the club's transfer dealings regardless of how he plays from here on in. I can see White improving, I'm thinking Arsenal are goint to be way behind the expectations placed on them; I don't mean expectations to be top 4, I'm talking expecting to be top 8, that could be beyond them this season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd like to see him excel in his next few games. We really don't want Arsenal considering whether he may have looked under pressure because he was playing behind Xhaka and not behind Bissouma. After the transfer window closes, my only hope will be that he performs well enough to ensure that his value remains at a level that will mean that the league's bottom side, struggling Leeds United can't afford to sign him.

I've love to see the Arsenal chairman's face when Arteta says to him.

"in order to get the best out the £50m signing from Brighton you just paid for, I need another £50m to buy another player from Brighton"

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We play them in a few weeks. Our tactics will be very telling. We know his weaknesses better thn any (including Leeds, his weaknesses only evolved after he came out from under Bielsa's wing) - we're sure to target them if we can.

Who do you think White will prefer to mark Maupay or Andone

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've love to see the Arsenal chairman's face when Arteta says to him.

"in order to get the best out the £50m signing from Brighton you just paid for, I need another £50m to buy another player from Brighton"

As it's common knowledge* that White was 3rd best CB at the club, the cost for either of the other 2 would be higher.

* There is some disagreement on this part.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Nicely done.

So it seems that [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] is WRONG. We don't have a wheelbarrow full of cash, we have wheelbarrowS full of cash.

£1m in £20s looks like this - so even in £50's, it would take a very large wheelbarrow.

View attachment 139511

Apparently £1m in £50 pound notes would weight 22kg. So £50m would be about a tonne.

Not at all. A decent size wallet is all you need....
giant1-55a7a34c3a851.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When they signed him I just assumed he would be in a 3 at the back.

IF they are genuinely planning on playing him in a back 4 then the transfer was utter madness.
Who was he playing alongside at Leeds? He was playing in a back four there, and excelled (and don't come back with the, ''yes but that was only in the Championship'' rubbish - there were plenty of big rough centre forwards there, and high balls pumped into the middle, and corners). The physicallity there wasn't a problem for him; they might have been a bit slower, but no less physical.

Have to say the other CB playing alongside him at Brentford looked hopeless, and Callum Chambers looked like he couldn't decide whether he was playing RB or RCB, which can't have helped.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
:shrug:

Not our issue. Given we want to be a top 10 club Arsenal, particularly in the state they are now, are one of the sides we want to compete with. On that basis I hope White has a series of shockers.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Toney will give plenty of PL CB's problems in the air. When we play them, the focus must be on dealing with the second ball

The one that worried me was more the way White let Mbuemo saunter past him in the first half

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly I think the entitled Arsenal fans are likely to completely destroy his confidence very quickly if they don’t start winning and not conceding soft goals.

He will be the subject of weekly rants on Arsenal TV too

I know the money is hard to turn down Ben but you should have stayed here another year

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We play them in a few weeks. Our tactics will be very telling. We know his weaknesses better thn any (including Leeds, his weaknesses only evolved after he came out from under Bielsa's wing) - we're sure to target them if we can.

I suspect that our tactic may be to try to win as many corners / set pieces as we can and match any of our centre backs up against him with a Pascal Gross delivery.

As has been said here, he will be much better with Gabriel alongside him. His weaknesses were magnified on Friday night, but he can learn the tricks that Neville and Carragher were discussing. He wasn't the only Arsenal defender who struggled. Mari & Chambers were both awful and Leno didn't help out his defence much either.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Who was he playing alongside at Leeds? He was playing in a back four there, and excelled (and don't come back with the, ''yes but that was only in the Championship'' rubbish - there were plenty of big rough centre forwards there, and high balls pumped into the middle, and corners). The physicallity there wasn't a problem for him; they might have been a bit slower, but no less physical.

I would back Veltman to play in a cb pairing in the championship and do very well.

I wouldn't want him doing it for us in the PL every week.

I'm not sure pointing to a lesser opposition is 'rubbish'.

Did I say he can't play there? No. However, if I was looking to buy a centre back for a pairing in the Premier league, in a defence which is widely known as being constantly bullied and shakey, would I use my 50m on ball-playing Ben White? No.

Now if Liverpool bought him and stuck him next to VVD then it could work. But we are talking about pathetic arsenal here

That is why I think it is.madness if a back 4 is what they are planning with the players they have, even if he was good there over a year ago in a worse league

If they are planning on a back 3 then it makes sense. He's an excellent player.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Have to say the other CB playing alongside him at Brentford looked hopeless, and Callum Chambers looked like he couldn't decide whether he was playing RB or RCB, which can't have helped.
He had Phillips in front of him, screening the defence, white cut out passes and Cooper helped with crosses. Although tbf, they were not great at defending long balls.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

He was playing alongside Cooper at Leeds.

I agree that White's experience in a 4 should mean he has the capability to cope with what's coming his way.
It may well be that having had a season with Duffy and Webster alongside him, he hasn't had to be that good and will need to reset himself, this season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He hasn't got any shorter since he signed for them has he? He needs a strong and physical partner to play alongside but he'll be fine. The lad has quality and the days of needing to be 6ft 4 ins upwards to play centre half are over. He does however look better in a three for sure and overpowering our defence is a different kettle of fish despite Saturdays 1st half dramas.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He hasn't got any shorter since he signed for them has he? He needs a strong and physical partner to play alongside but he'll be fine. The lad has quality and the days of needing to be 6ft 4 ins upwards to play centre half are over. He does however look better in a three for sure and overpowering our defence is a different kettle of fish despite Saturdays 1st half dramas.

Hmmm, it's a lot harder if you're not

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This guff about him needing a big centre half alongside him and all will be well is ridiculous.

Premier League strikers will target him in the air, regardless of who his partner is.

Fortunately for him it's not impossible to improve, but because of his price pundits won't give him time and they will be unforgiving.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This guff about him needing a big centre half alongside him and all will be well is ridiculous.

Premier League strikers will target him in the air, regardless of who his partner is.

Fortunately for him it's not impossible to improve, but because of his price pundits won't give him time and they will be unforgiving.

This is true to an extent but in a back 3 he was also further away from the centre and a highball in that position is a different kettle of fish as in options and threat, then one down the centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here