Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Talent Drain?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Talent drain? 7 staff quit? emotive clickbait. He's one of our scouting staff, that's all. If he's one of our most valued 25 staff we'll have a replacement in mind. If not, we'll just hire someone else as usual. And our 7 staff didn't quit. They were headhunted, enticed with life changing pay rises and poached by a bigger club with massive resources. Nothing too see here.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Well, you and @timbha obviously have some personal knowledge which those of us who have only seen a Linkedin entry do not have - and naturally we wouldn't have a clue as to what the significance of the Stoke game is to Gary (or Garry).
Linkedin just gave a list of names associated with Lee Sargeson and the Albion recruitment set-up (including said Gary Mills) - so all obviously potential candidates for the talent drain!
It was only I noticed the name, I'm not sure this loss of the guy to Everton is that important though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was only I noticed the name, I'm not sure this loss of the guy to Everton is that important though.
I've no idea either - any more than I'd ever heard of Pete Bulmer, Josh Hook, Tim Coe, Steve Martin and George Holmes! - just names on a webpage linked to Lee Sargeson and the Albion recruitment/youth set-up. Some people know Gary (or Garry) Mills - some of us don't!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've no idea either - any more than I'd ever heard of Pete Bulmer, Josh Hook, Tim Coe, Steve Martin and George Holmes! - just names on a webpage linked to Lee Sargeson and the Albion recruitment/youth set-up. Some people know Gary (or Garry) Mills - some of us don't!
Gary Mills, nice lad. The vast majority of Albion supporters know him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he's not put on extended gardening leave then you know TB and PB don't think he was all that important to operations.
We don't know that at all, what we do know his contract was settled amicably.

cAshworth - not settled = gardening leave.
GPott - settled = in Chelsea by lunchtime.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Might be best to let it drop before you explode 😉

LinkedIn contains nearly as much crap and exaggeration as FB

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Might be best to let it drop before you explode 😉

LinkedIn contains nearly as much crap and exaggeration as FB
Explode? No chance. Responses were a bit weird, but why would I bother? Just vaguely interested in what people were on about - and politely tried to find out what it was.
Of course LinkedIn contains lots of crap and exaggeration - but the contents of that page would have been contributed by Sargeson and Mills! :)

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Anyone associated with Brighton and scouting is very hot property seeing as nearly every club in England is trying to replicate what we do.

Our senior scouts will be able to command very high salaries and their board can placate their fans by boasting that they are appointing them.
Scouts, even at the Premier League level, really don't make awfully high salaries (around £30k according to Glassdoor, presumably a bit higher for senior scouts and managers). It's stuck me that if you really wanted to build a long-term project, then poaching scouts would be a pretty good place to start. You'd only need to be offering a few grand over the going rate to have people knocking down your door to get in.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Another from our recruitment team on his way, is it fair to call it a talent drain?
I don’t believe so - also that view does not consider staff that have come into the team recently

Sam jewell who is more than capable stepped up acting as Head of Recruitment after loosing Winstanley (supported by David Weir as tech director and a whole recruitment team behind him) so there was no ‘loss’, but we now also have the staff De Zerbi bought with him including Salvatore Monaco, who is now RDZs Head of Recruitment at Brighton and who was RDZs Head of Scouting at Sassuolo and his Head of Scouting at Shakhtar. While at Sassuolo, Monaco recruited some key players to RDz’s team who have gone on to international careers and Monaco was probably key in pushing for Matviyenko in January - he will also be scouting players already on TB’s database.

I have no doubt that every member of staff or player we lost in September/November TB has found replacements that not only equalled but in some cases, surpassed the talent of their predecessors.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
According to his LinkedIn profile he spent 8 years at Bolton. Aston Villa took him from Bolton and had him for 3 years, we took him from villa for 5 years and now he's moved to Everton.

It's easy to conflate that with out other outgoings as losing another precious mineral forged in the Brighton talent mine, but more often than not these moves are just people moving to better jobs within an industry like any other industry.

If Potter and co hadn't moved this would t be even vaguely newsworthy.
Northerner moves closer to home shocker? (I haven’t checked!)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
if he wants to leave us for Everton then quite frankly , he can get f***ed.
Even if he’s making a sensible career move personally?

This is just a logical individual employment progression, nothing particularly relevant to either club’s position. If we get into Europe and Everton are relegated it still won’t change the fact that he’s made a good career move.

Surprised how many posts there are on the thread, it’s a bit of a non story.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Surprised how many posts there are on the thread, it’s a bit of a non story.
Yes, I think most people agree it’s ‘just’ an un-extraordinary career move by a non-essential team member that most people haven’t heard of, so in that sense it’s a ‘non-story’ as others have said above your post.

- However, the issue of the OP was whether the linked article was correct in suggesting we are having a ‘talent drain’ (bearing in mind the staff we’ve lost) - it is worth reiterating (apart from the departure of Sargeson to Everton who we’ve already said is not a senior staff member) that we have had talent come into the club too (as I mentioned above)

Btw you added to the number of posts on this ‘non-story’ thread too 🙂

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here