Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Talent Drain?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Billy Beane is the one who has a lot to answer for, without him the film Moneyball would never have happened as it was about him, but he eventually proved the concept of recruiting under valued players worked.

But with Tony Bloom in charge we'd have gone down this route with or without Billy Beane and what he did in baseball. Bloom is a stats and analytics guy, he'd have always wanted that as part of his recruitment strategy for the club. However it isn't just driven by stats, there is no way we'd sign a player without seeing them play, but with the amount of video footage available now actually going to games to scout a player is a very small part of the process.
Yep......very easy (if you're in the business) to see video footage (from multiple angles) of players. The 'scouting' (once into senior football anyway) is more or less just validation of what's already known

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'd never heard of him either - but now, from looking at Linkedin, I've heard of Pete Bulmer, Josh Hook, Tim Coe, Steve Martin, George Holmes and Gary Mills. So, if/when they too get poached, at least I won't be surprised and asking, 'who?'
I don't think Garry Mills will be moving anywhere soon

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Garry Mills will be moving anywhere soon
The link to Linkedin from @Bozza's post is now blocked (unless you join) so I can't go back to check exactly which post Gary Millls holds (something to do with youth development, I think), but I see no reason why he should be considered less likely - or more likely - to move than the others cited on Linkedin.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The link to Linkedin from @Bozza's post is now blocked (unless you join) so I can't go back to check exactly which post Gary Millls holds (something to do with youth development, I think), but I see no reason why he should be considered less likely - or more likely - to move than the others cited on Linkedin.
He’s a genuine, long term, in the trenches Albion fan first

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Well he certainly won't be going anywhere before the stoke game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’s a genuine, long term, in the trenches Albion fan first
Fair enough, if you have first hand information that trumps a minimal mention in Linkedin!

"Hello, is that Gary Mills? How would you like to treble your wages?" One can but wonder.....................

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fair enough, if you have first hand information that trumps a minimal mention in Linkedin!

"Hello, is that Gary Mills? How would you like to treble your wages?" One can but wonder.....................
Not sure he could eat 3 burgers and drink 3 cups of coffee at every match he watches😀

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well he certainly won't be going anywhere before the stoke game.
Well, you and @timbha obviously have some personal knowledge which those of us who have only seen a Linkedin entry do not have - and naturally we wouldn't have a clue as to what the significance of the Stoke game is to Gary (or Garry).
Linkedin just gave a list of names associated with Lee Sargeson and the Albion recruitment set-up (including said Gary Mills) - so all obviously potential candidates for the talent drain!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, you and @timbha obviously have some personal knowledge which those of us who have only seen a Linkedin entry do not have - and naturally we wouldn't have a clue as to what the significance of the Stoke game is to Gary (or Garry).
Linkedin just gave a list of names associated with Lee Sargeson and the Albion recruitment set-up (including said Gary Mills) - so all obviously potential candidates for the talent drain!
A friend or a relative? Who knows?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure he could eat 3 burgers and drink 3 cups of coffee at every match he watches😀
Well, yes, there is obviously personal/first hand information out there known to some - but it's not included in a list of names and jobs on Linkedin!

:shrug:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Oh no! Whatever will we do? That’s it, that’s the final straw… it’s the slippery slope back down to league two now. It was fun while it lasted, glad I was able to enjoy our time in the PL. oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here