Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take him or leave him- Rooney 3 game ban

Should Rooey go or not

• Total voters

I can't believe those that really think this is some kind of anti-England agenda. Violent conduct in the Premier League or Football League would be a 3 match ban, why should internationals be any different?

I would take him, purely because the 4th striker that we take rarely gets any game time. Crouch played a total of 15 minutes in South Africa in 2 sub appearances, and Walcott didn't appear in 2006 despite Rooney being only half fit. It's not as if we have a 4th/5th choice striker demanding selection.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Take him. If only to spite that **** Ferguson who is probablhy delighted that his best asset will be playing three less games in the off-season. Train him into the ground as well.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
You take him, you have too, he's England's best talent and you don't leave your best talent at home. Would Argentina drop Messi? Would Portugal leave Ronaldo at home? I doubt it very much.

That a side the man is a fu@king moron and part of me wants him to stay at home.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He'd only enjoy the time off. Take him and make him suffer being away from his family. It's the least the stupid berk deserves.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
ANYONE who says they wouldn't take him just DON'T UNDERSTAND tournament football.

THE WHOLE AIM is to get to the FINAL. That's our AIM. It may be unlikely, but thats what we WANT.

So OF COURSE you take your best player if he is available from the quater finals.

THATS 3 WHOLE GAMES HE CAN PLAY.

If we got through the group stage and then didn't have Rooney we would look like MUGS

Cutting off the nose to spite the face

This. But perhaps with fewer capital letters.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Leave him.

Rather now we spent the remaining games planning a team without him and just forget him till the WC qualifiers start. What are the chances of him playing in a quarter final and doing the same thing and getting himself sent off? Can't be trusted not to lash out when he gets wound up - which happens too easily.

Would rather we concentrate on getting a decent group together and gelled rather than upset the apple cart by not playign someone in any friendlies or group games only to bring him back for the big knockout games.

It was worthy of a 3 match ban as it was violent conduct. If it happened in a league match he'd miss 3 games without any question

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A very lazy cliche.

Perhaps, but it is true.

When he knocks one in from 25 yards or lays on a sitter for the Mexican kid it has nothing to do with aggression. He works his socks off but never ever has aggression helped him one iota in his game Commander.

I disagree, it has everything to do with aggression. When he loses the ball and runs back 60 yards to win it back, that is down to aggression. Beckham used to do it as well. Some players are like that, I am like that. When I play in my 5-a-side team and we are getting beaten or someone clatters in to me, I get angry, and I think "Right that is it, we are f***ing winning this game, I am not letting this happen", and so run harder and faster than before. Agression is good, when it is chanelled in the right way. And with aggresive players, there is always the chance of it boiling over and them doing something stupid, that's just the way it is, you cant change it. So many top players have this issue, obviously there are exceptions such as Messi, but most of the top players have an aggressive streak. Look at Zidane!

That was not aggression. There was a delay when he had a think about it. Then he did it. It was stupidity.

A delay of about a second. People don't go "Right that's hit, I'm gonna f***ing have him, oh, hang on a second, no I'm not". He got pissed off by the challenge for whatever reason, probably a culmination of things that happened throughout the game, and snapped. You could see by his face when he walked off that he was thinking "Why on earth did I just do that". But some people are like that. I've played football many times where someone has kicked me in a rage and then a minute later come over and said "Sorry, no idea why I did that".

Anyone who thinks we have any chance whatsoever of winning the tournament without Rooney is deluded. We are hugely unlikely to win it anyway, but if the unthinkable happened and we did, it would be because our best players (Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdiand etc) had the tournament of their lives. We simply aren't good enough to be able to do it any other way.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Anyone who thinks we have any chance whatsoever of winning the tournament without Rooney is deluded. We are hugely unlikely to win it anyway, but if the unthinkable happened and we did, it would be because our best players (Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdiand etc) had the tournament of their lives. We simply aren't good enough to be able to do it any other way.

I don't think we have a chance of winning it with or without Rooney. I would rather we keep using these tournaments as progression and to keep improving the youngsters, rather than go all out to win it as the odds on that are so small. Germany went with their young players at the last WC and trounced us. Not saying that would happen with us, but that's the mentality I'd go for.

It may sound wrong to many but I think while we need some old wise heads around the squad, Gerrard and Terry for example, people like Barry, Lampard etc are dead weights to us now. I just really want us to start blending the younger players in and looking to success in a tournament or two's time that we could sustain for 10 years or so rather than all out to win the next one and then struggle for the one after that.

Oct 25, 2003
i'd take him personally but it's a big call for capello

-if he doesn't take him and we get to the quarters and lose, there'll be a national outcry as we went into it without our best player

-if he does take him and we go out in the first round, he's taken the place of someone who could play

the euro's are no walk in the park as all 16 teams are fairly strong and even the poorest teams england will still struggle against.......it's not like the world cup where you have wank like north korea and honduras....and look how england struggled to get out of what seemed like a fairly easy group on paper (usa, slovenia (who haven't qualified for 2012) and algeria)...our group in 2012 will be harder than that

it's certainly not nailed on that england will progress (even if we did have rooney) but we shouldn't be leaving our best players at home in my view

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:facepalm:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
i'd take him personally but it's a big call for capello

-if he doesn't take him and we get to the quarters and lose, there'll be a national outcry as we went into it without our best player

-if he does take him and we go out in the first round, he's taken the place of someone who could play

the euro's are no walk in the park as all 16 teams are fairly strong and even the poorest teams england will still struggle against.......it's not like the world cup where you have wank like north korea and honduras....and look how england struggled to get out of what seemed like a fairly easy group on paper (usa, slovenia (who haven't qualified for 2012) and algeria)...our group in 2012 will be harder than that

it's certainly not nailed on that england will progress (even if we did have rooney) but we shouldn't be leaving our best players at home in my view

Is a great point. We need a full squad just to emerge from the group. And if we're good enough to do that then the players deserve the chance to keep going, rather than being dropped for someone who won't have played a competitive match for over a month.

Bet Capello is hoping Rooney gets a serious injury in April that would rule him out of the whole tournament - decision made for him then and no backlash possible

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
ANYONE who says they wouldn't take him just DON'T UNDERSTAND tournament football.

THE WHOLE AIM is to get to the FINAL. That's our AIM. It may be unlikely, but thats what we WANT.

So OF COURSE you take your best player if he is available from the quater finals.

THATS 3 WHOLE GAMES HE CAN PLAY.

If we got through the group stage and then didn't have Rooney we would look like MUGS

Cutting off the nose to spite the face

It could depend on whether capello thinks that Rooney would be a disruptive influence on the team if he was there but unable to play for the group stage games. Having a player who sulks and causes friction in the training camp for the first 3 games where he isn't available could harm our chances of having a successful tournament.

Taking him just because he is the best player available doesn't mean it gives up our best shot at winning the tournament, its a team game and about having the best combination and good team spirit.

What would his mind frame be like when he finally gets a chance to play (assuming we get out of the group) would he be frustrated and could he potentially end up kicking out again and earning another ban or will he be keen to put in the displays to justify his inclusion and to make up for lost time and the problems his red card have caused.

this discussion may be irrelevent anyway if the FA appeal and his ban is cut anyway, even by 1 game so it would probably be better to take him regardless.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I bet other people in your team have though, yes? Put those players in a stadium with thousands of people screaming at them and under immense pressure and kick them all game, and they would do the same thing. I don't think it is something you can coach out, and to be fair to Rooney he is a lot better at this these days. Look at Beckham, even now he gets the odd red card. Some people are just like that. All this "He's paid 100k a week he should be able to control it" is irrelevant really. He's a fiery, thick Scouser, and it wouldn't matter if he was playing for England or his work 5-a-side team, he would still be the same.

Yes, and like Rooney said people recieved bans, and fines. I can be certain that had we had a tournament in which any of our players were banned for 3 games, he'd be left at home no matter what his ability.
What message does it send out if he kicks out, misses 3 matches, then walks straight back into the team. I certainly wouldn't be too pleased.
Welbeck, Carrol, Defoe, Bent is who i'd take at the moment, they may not be the worlds best but I'd rather have them (alright Carrols not perfect) representing us than f*cking Rooney.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Just can't see it is worth taking a risk on him, he won't play again for England now until his ban is served. We have been going on for years about how the manager needs to pick a team rather than a player and yet we are crowing for him to be included because he's the "best one".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think we need to get out of the mind set that a collection of best players will always be the best team. A team needs players who are able to play certain roles within it that feed into a team performance, people coming together for a unified plan. Sticking a group of players who, at club level, have their teams built around them is not necessarily going to produce the best team. If producing a great England team, one capable of winning things, means leaving star players out, we should accept it, even if the star player is Rooney.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Leave him. He is over-rated and a liability for England. People say he is our best player watching him play for Man Ure. But he never replicates that form for England and always finds a way to let his team mates and his country down with rash behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here