Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take him or leave him- Rooney 3 game ban

Should Rooey go or not

• Total voters

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Selfish Martha Focker, who doesn't gove a sh it about his team mates, the fans, or his girlfriend it would appear. Let the (unt stay at home. Beckham took some stick in 1998 at the age of 23 and didn't he turn it around! This awful w anker is nearly 26 and still he hasn't learnt and still he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If England can get out of the group stages, it would be quite impressive and show that the team is worthy to be there, in which case they don't need Rooney.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I am amazed it was three matches. It was stupid and petulant - but not malicious - and it was never going to actually injure.
It was "assault" according to UEFA. A three-match ban is utterly ridiculous. If it was any other country the ban would be for one match. Yet another example of how the international football authorities hate us.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
If England can get out of the group stages, it would be quite impressive and show that the team is worthy to be there, in which case they don't need Rooney.

But we could have a fairly easy group? Things will be different when we come up against teams like Spain, Germany, Holland etc where we NEED Rooney..

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The precedent was Arshavin who got a two match ban for Euro 2008 in light of a violent conduct red card in their play-off win. Difference being that he had spent the entire game being constantly fouled and wound up and had been I believe exemplary discipline wise up until that point

Rooney has already been suspended in this campaign for two bookings and lashed out for no apparent reason to a perfectly fair challenge. It was worse than Arshavin's so I guess the extra game ban is fair

Still, any excuse to trott out the "poor England, everyone hates us" line when our own star player can't keep his anger in check

This, this and THRICE this. England will never improve all the time anyone and everyone other than Englishmen get whinily blamed for their ongoing underachievement.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Perhaps this is the moment we start considering putting together the best team rather than focusing on whether or not we have the best players. Has that ever worked for anyone?!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Leave him - he was hopeless at the last finals anyway. Get some team spirit in tge team by picking "lesser" players like Bobby who don't think they have a devine right to walk into the England team.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
But we could have a fairly easy group? Things will be different when we come up against teams like Spain, Germany, Holland etc where we NEED Rooney..

I'm not sure it's ever been proven that we've NEEDED Rooney at Finals level. Last year springs to mind where he didn't help us one bit and just used the fans as an excuse for an inexplicable performance against Algeria.

No such thing as an easy group in the Euros, unless we are extremely fortunate.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I suppose it would depend on who is fit and available for selection when the time comes .

If, like a few tournaments ago, we were struggling to select a squad of forwards for the games and ended up taking unproven players like Walcott then i say take him but if we have several fit and healthy forwards who are on form and deserving of a place them he should miss out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whether or not the incident was dangerous is relevant.

Why?

This isn't about dangerous play. It isn't about reckless challenges. It's about a lack of discipline, a lack of respect for fellow sportsman, it's about lack of sportsmanship. It is about going against the nature of the game.

The severity of the injury is irrelevent. The risk of injury/danger is irrelevent. He kicked someone. You're not allowed to do it. What is relevant is: was he trying to kick the ball and just got beaten to it? No. Had he been constantly niggled thorughout the game? No.

He got outmuscled for the ball, and he kicked the guy (I think he tried to kick him twice, actually). No provocation, no excuse, he just kicked the guy. And that is unacceptable. It's unacceptable off the field, it's unacceptable on it.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Definitely leave him, if we get out of the group stages we'd have found a winning formula already wouldn't we?... So what right would that bald chunky sweaty overated granny basher have to walk back into the team?...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has he ever played well against a world class team for England? I can't remember him doing so, so for that reason I'd rather he was left behind. In fact, I'd say he was more likely to get sent off against a class team than to play well against one at the knockout stage.

And whilst you're at it Fabio, I know you've only been in your multi million pound paying job for 3 years so we can't possibly expect more than your utterly lamentable and feeble pidgen English in such a short time span, but please can you learn enough English to tell Jermaine Defoe that he's not going either, and make sure you pick the infinitely superior Bobby Zamora.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we play 4-3-3 with Young and Downing/Walcott up alongside Bent, with Defoe/Sturridge/Zamora/Carroll to come in, I can see that working as well as anything else we've done at a big tournament recently. Which, let's face it, isn't hard.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bin him. he's had enough chances to grow up. if we take him we are basically saying England are a one man team, which we aren't however good he is, he rarely turns games for us on his own.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
take him but obvioulsy as the third choice forward. unfortunately, we are hardly flush with players of his quality...................................

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ANYONE who says they wouldn't take him just DON'T UNDERSTAND tournament football.

THE WHOLE AIM is to get to the FINAL. That's our AIM. It may be unlikely, but thats what we WANT.

So OF COURSE you take your best player if he is available from the quater finals.

THATS 3 WHOLE GAMES HE CAN PLAY.

If we got through the group stage and then didn't have Rooney we would look like MUGS

Cutting off the nose to spite the face

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
Our best player. We have to take him.

I disagree, not our best player over the last load of England games and most recently, since ashley young has joined man u he has become by far the best man in an England shirt I hate to say it (and dislike the man)but there is a reason fergie is up there with the best managers atm and young is a prime example.
He is a quality player but doesn't really have a very good international tournament record and I would rather give a youngster a go in his place having said that he is tour best forward. So ditch him for the comp is my opinion on the matter. There are so many combinations upfront that would worn better without him just fabio is scared shitless about dropping someone who has the reputation of out best player when he isn't snd bringing something new in there. Ffs English football needs to change and by taking him it shows that we are not ready to make that change now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here