Take down your shorts Murray, you are about to get spanked.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what will happen in this match?

• will murray get rogered

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • will roger, roger murray

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • will roger get rogered

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's also that people are looking at it from a British perspective. This is the best we've had it tennis wise since Fred Perry, comfortably.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looked beaten after the re-start. Body language all wrong , head not in right place. Probably reason he wont ever be champion. Lacks the bollocks.
Is every post you make wrong?
Jonny Wilkinson
Chris Eubank
Joe Calzaghe
Linford Christie

I could go on.
You do go on. Christie was a drug cheat, so never really achieved anything. Jonnie is one of the best British Sportsman, but you wouldn't recognise it if it weren't for him also having a decent team around him. You can be great without being the best in the world. Even if Murray had never won a major, being the 4th best at something as popular as tennis is a great achievement.

Andy Murray is one of the finest individual sportsmen ever to represent Great Britain.
:lol: quality bounce.

He has now achieved. Deserved hyperbole. Before that, he had done the square root of dick all.
Nonsense.

He's won a number of matches against some of the best players in the world EVER. Messi hasn't won a World Cup, does that really stop him being truly great?
Exactly.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Why has this thread been bounced? It was for Wimbledon, where
Murray lost to sheer class from Federer.

Well done to him for winning the us open but could whatever has to be said, not be said on a thread about the US open and not Wimbledon?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Well done to him for winning the us open but could whatever has to be said, not be said on a thread about the US open and not Wimbledon?

Because there are a number of posts in THIS thread that state that Murray will never win anything, that he's rubbish/miles behind the other 3 etc. It's just a bit of fun.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm talking in real sporting terms. The pinnacle of any sport is winning something "major"

England beat Spain in a friendly. Doesn't make them the greatest team on the earth. Sportmen are judged on what they win, nothing more; you may find that unfortunate but it's a fact of life. Colin Montgomerie will be lauded as a nice bloke and a good golfer, but he'd swap that in an instant for a major.

Luke Donald and Lee Westwood must be complete failures then, world number one, pah - not won a major so must be crap.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Luke Donald and Lee Westwood must be complete failures then, world number one, pah - not won a major so must be crap.

Also the current German National Team are UTTER SHIT.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes it is. Undeniably so. However, he will onyl be judged on what he's won and if he doesn't win a grand slam then he will never be held in that high regard.

So in your own opinion, he is now held in that high regard.

You really do seem to be going around in circles...

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
So in your own opinion, he is now held in that high regard.

You really do seem to be going around in circles...

Read my opening post from last night in response to BoF. "Deserved hyperbole" because he has actually won something. Sunsequently I have been re-arguing my point about the need to win stuff to be remembered as truly great.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bollocks. On this thread people said he would NEVER win a major. Would ALWAYS be a choker. There are some serious back trackers on here looking very stupid.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I have been arguing this point even before he won the Olympics, but some peoples willingness to look a sporting achievement in black and white is quite astounding.

Even if he had lost the final I would be writing this.

He is WORLD class. He is in the top 4 players during an era where the other 3 are openly regarded as 3 of the ALL time greatest.

He had made 4 finals in that time. Again, an amazing achiement.

The term 'bottler' is a WEAK argument by people who clearly only tuned in (or just lookked at the result) of his finals.

Murray has won far more games from behind than he has lost from in front. He has never BOTTLED a final. He has been beaten by the better player on the day (a player who is regarded as one of the top players ever).

Is that bottling to constantly be around the 4th best at something in the WORLD? I'd love to know what everyone on here is 4th best in the world at.

He didn't need to win last night for me to change my opinion on just how good he is. It was almost just a matter of time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It takes a few years to achieve the mental and physical conditioning to win a tennis major these days. Federer and Djokovic were around for a few years before they moved into the elite bracket and it's taken Murray a year or so longer than them but so what?

I think Lendl has really fixed some endemic mental issues with Murray. He now seems better able to put a setback behind him, rather than dwell on it and spiral downwards. The fact Lendl lost his first 4 majors but went on to win 8 is encouraging, although the Czech never won Wimbledon. I hope he sticks around with Murray to see that goal accomplished; it would be some achievment for both of them.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have to admit, I doubted the Murray had the stones to be a Major winner if for no other reason than his fitness was always suspect and he had a very dodgy temperament. In some games you could almost pinpoint the exact moment his head went and he wasn't going to win.

Now, he's bulked up, transformed his fitness levels, improved his game hugely and seems to have his temper mostly in check. As a result, he starts to achieve what his early potential promised.

He's comfortably the best tennis player to come from the British Isles in decades and is in the ascendancy. He's much like many other players who have found their paths blocked by the stellar triumvirate of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer. In all fairness, any player who wins a Grand Slam in an era with three players of their quality deserves respect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because there are a number of posts in THIS thread that state that Murray will never win anything, that he's rubbish/miles behind the other 3 etc. It's just a bit of fun.
For reasons not connect to you Mellotron, it's nice to see none of those 'derogatory' comments have come from me!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have been arguing this point even before he won the Olympics, but some peoples willingness to look a sporting achievement in black and white is quite astounding.

Even if he had lost the final I would be writing this.

He is WORLD class. He is in the top 4 players during an era where the other 3 are openly regarded as 3 of the ALL time greatest.

He had made 4 finals in that time. Again, an amazing achiement.

The term 'bottler' is a WEAK argument by people who clearly only tuned in (or just lookked at the result) of his finals.

Murray has won far more games from behind than he has lost from in front. He has never BOTTLED a final. He has been beaten by the better player on the day (a player who is regarded as one of the top players ever).

Is that bottling to constantly be around the 4th best at something in the WORLD? I'd love to know what everyone on here is 4th best in the world at.

He didn't need to win last night for me to change my opinion on just how good he is. It was almost just a matter of time.

All of this, times x 1,000. And it WAS just a matter of time. Was very easy to see.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think Lendl has really fixed some endemic mental issues with Murray. He now seems better able to put a setback behind him, rather than dwell on it and spiral downwards. The fact Lendl lost his first 4 majors but went on to win 8 is encouraging, although the Czech never won Wimbledon. I hope he sticks around with Murray to see that goal accomplished; it would be some achievment for both of them.
Agree. Just something about the aura Lendl gives off, and the respect he'd naturally command, being such a great, that made me feel there was no way he was going to be anything other than a huge positive for Andy.

Still taking time for it to settle in, what Murray has just achieved - given the remarkable era he is playing in, and our relative lack of success since I've been alive. You have to feel he now has the platform from which to push on and potentially raise himself to a status similar to that of Djokovic (at this current moment). The fact that there appears to be very few youngsters threatening to even get close to that top 4 only aids his chances of further success.

As an extension of that last point, it probably puts into perspective just how good the current elite group are, rather than thinking it represents any sort of bleak long-term future for the sport. I think we may see the likes of Raonic, Tomic, Goffin, Dimitrov and Harrison make the step up to top 10 territory at some point in the future anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports