Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You are moaning. And, I think your idea of hanging on is very different to mine. One shot on target. One. We never looked that under threat. It was always comfortable.

I guess BG thinks that conceding lots of possession to the opposition, even if that is only allowing them the ball in non threatening areas of the pitch and still stopping them from getting any shots on target away is hanging on

We've seen over the years that possession means very little. The team that's losing pretty much always have more possession (chasing the game) - We've had seasons where we have dominated possession but failed to turn them into wins (under Gus, Garcia, etc) - I'd have thought BG would have realised this by now as he has been watching football for a number of years

We controlled Brentford, even when they had the ball, and they never really looked like scoring whereas we looked the most likely to get the next goal

It's all down to individual interpretation

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The tactics were absolutely spot on, anyone that doesnt see that knows nothing about football or is just an idiot. Against a team who attack like Brentford do we did exactly the right thing, if we play them at there own game, you could be in for some ridiculous high scoring draw even from 2-0 up, it's easy as we've seen before this seen

Listen to the big I am, everyone else is an idiot and knows nothing about football ha ha ha pompous and arrogant.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Listen to the big I am, everyone else is an idiot and knows nothing about football ha ha ha pompous and arrogant.

But ultimately correct.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
But ultimately correct.

How very very wrong you are, I don't think i would have been able to play semi pro football at my Uni and manage football teams if i knew nothing about football ha ha

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

So you think what we should have done is, against a team who were going all out attack and at some points had all their players well over the half way line, we should have tried to play them at their own game? Especially at 2-0 up, we have everything to lose and they have everything to gain. It's not arrogant at all its common sense, if we'd played them at their own game and ended up conceding, you and others commenting would have said what was he thinking, fact.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Maybe some of this is to do with the other times we've gone 2 goals up this year (Bolton, QPR, Ipswich) and they've come back into it. Although Brentford didn't threaten much, I must admit to having a feeling that at some point in the latter quarter of the game we could give away a penalty from nothing, or score an own goal - that is, let one in without Brentford actually doing anything. And then, with our record, we could have let another in.

So, I can see what the OP is saying - let's not give them the chance.

But I must say that we did seem confident last night - with a bit of our earlier swagger back. Whenever Brentford did threaten a break, I was impressed with how well we nicked the ball off them - or pushed them back again. The desire seemed to be there again.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It's funny the different views people have. I agree with The Wizard (although I'm not going to call you an idiot for having a different opinion). Hughton got it spot on. The reason we brought Crofts on for Hemed was we were losing the midfield. After Crofts came on we were pretty comfortable and could have scored more.

I suppose the reason some people are irritated with this thread is it is the same people criticising. Both you and BensGrandad do moan a lot about the club, even when we win 3-0. I really enjoyed the first half last night and never felt that nervous at 2-0.

On another note, I think winning by more than one goal will give our confidence a boost.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's funny the different views people have. I agree with The Wizard (although I'm not going to call you an idiot for having a different opinion). Hughton got it spot on. The reason we brought Crofts on for Hemed was we were losing the midfield. After Crofts came on we were pretty comfortable and could have scored more.

I suppose the reason some people are irritated with this thread is it is the same people criticising. Both you and BensGrandad do moan a lot about the club, even when we win 3-0. I really enjoyed the first half last night and never felt that nervous at 2-0.

On another note, I think winning by more than one goal will give our confidence a boost.
Spot on, I wish I had written that.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011

Like i've already said not moaning or complaining i made that perfectly clear, merely an observation god this gets boring having to explain to people over and over again.
Unfortunately there are too many on here that want to say these things but have no balls to do it, just because they don't want to be see as whingers. deep down they probably think the same thing a lot of the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets get this sorted out I am not moaning and thought 3-0 was a deserved result but at 2 -0 with 10 mins to go they were pressing and could/should have scored, had they got a goal with 10 mins to go anything could have happened. Their spirits would have been lifted and ours may have dipped and had a more nervous time.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
How very very wrong you are, I don't think i would have been able to play semi pro football at my Uni and manage football teams if i knew nothing about football ha ha

So you're saying that Hughton's tactics were incorrect? Tell me, how would you have set up against them that would have made it a better performance?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Like i've already said not moaning or complaining i made that perfectly clear, merely an observation god this gets boring having to explain to people over and over again.
Unfortunately there are too many on here that want to say these things but have no balls to do it, just because they don't want to be see as whingers. deep down they probably think the same thing a lot of the time.

I know you said it wasn't a moan but it felt like one. I don't really see anything to observe or moan about last night. We played really well. At the start of the second half, we lost the midfield battle so Hughton brought Crofts on to regain control and he did that. They had a lot of possession but did nothing with it.

Overall, for the first time this season, we scored goals and didn't concede. Really good display.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Lets get this sorted out I am not moaning and thought 3-0 was a deserved result but at 2 -0 with 10 mins to go they were pressing and could/should have scored, had they got a goal with 10 mins to go anything could have happened. Their spirits would have been lifted and ours may have dipped and had a more nervous time.

Again, no they weren't. We had far better chances in the second half than they did. If anyone was going to score, it was us and we did.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How could/should the have scored in the final ten minutes? They didn't get a sniff of a chance in that period. At the other end, in the same timescale, we had about 3 breakaways that we could/should've scored from, and we eventually did.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You obviously watch the games with Blue and White glasses on and can not see anything the other team doers which forces us to play the way we do.

You do talk some rubbish. I said Brentford were on top in midfield so we changed. After Crofts came on, we had the better chances. You just like moaning and it's so boring.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How could/should the have scored in the final ten minutes? They didn't get a sniff of a chance in that period. At the other end, in the same timescale, we had about 3 breakaways that we could/should've scored from, and we eventually did.

Apparently you must have been watching with Blue and White glasses to miss the hundreds of gilt edged chances Brentford had.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nobody is saying the tactics were wrong just a little hard on the heart in the mouth times.

There was one time in the second half that I was slightly concerned. You know when that was? When Stockdale went down awkwardly and I thought he was injured rather than just a bit winded. Nothing that Brentford did. They moved the ball around well but were utterly toothless. We could still be playing now and have a clean sheet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here