Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought the tactics were brilliant. At 2-0, sitting back and using the speed of Murphy, Knocky and Wilson on the break, scoring another, what's not to like?

The fact that Chris arranged it differently, and had the staff available to do it, put a smile on my face tonight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simply not true. We had chance after chance after chance to wrap it up, and they never ever looked like scoring.

I wish I had your confidence as it looked just a matter of time before they would score and if they had scored who knows what might have happened but due to good fortune and last ditch tackles and clearances we survived before Murphy ran away to score.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wish I had your confidence as it looked just a matter of time before they would score and if they had scored who knows what might have happened but due to good fortune and last ditch tackles and clearances we survived before Murphy ran away to score.

Talk us through all the saves Stockdale made ? Or the goal line clearances ? Or the shots that whizzed just past the woodwork ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some absolute bellends on here as per usual. Great tactics from CH & CC. Don't give me that coulda, woulda, crap

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I thought we played the perfect counter attacking football second half.
I honestly didn't think we were going to concede at any stage of the 2nd half. Well done CH

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

We were constantly creating opportunities throughout that spell:

Wilson into the box, denied by last ditch tackle.

Ball into the box, controlled by Wilson back to goal, laid back to Sidwell, failed to get clean shot away.

Murphy into box, low cross along six yard line inches in front of sliding Wilson.

Etc etc.

At the other end, nothing. Literally nothing. Stockdale made one save in the game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The tactics in the second resulted in numerous chances to score for us on the counter, whereas Stockdale took a few crosses, but I don't recall him making a serious save. We could have scored another 2-3 on the counter before Murphy finally slotted one home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought Brentford looked pretty decent first half. Their no7 Saunders and that ginger were causing us all kinds of problems, they were pretty slick coming forward. But the goal COMPLETELY knocked the stuffing out of them. After that they carried all the threat and menace of Russell Grant on valium, that second half was a complete cakewalk. It was actually a strange feeling being so comfortable in a game, for once.

We should try these 2/3 goal leads more often.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I and a few others were a bit puzzled tonight when CH's tactics were to literally shut up shop at half time.
Yes we won 3-0 brilliant, but it really could have backfired on him tonight and almost did.
They were hitting us fairly hard throughout the second half, it was just something we noticed and seemed a very strange thing to do.
Shouldn't we have been attacking them straight from the onset of the second half to get that extra 3rd goal earlty to make our last
forty minutes a damn sight easier than it was.

Not a moan just an observation it was very odd.
Agree chris was very lucky tonight we could have been spanked

el punal

Yes. A season ticket holder for 21 years, but my mate and I left on 70 mins as we were seriously bored

We won 3-0, you and your mate missed the third, it was scored by Jamie Murphy by the way. I'm sorry you were seriously bored but just to let you know there were nearly 24,000 fans that weren't bored - and we didn't miss you not being there.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

I was at the Brighton vs Brentford game last night. I don't have a clue which match you went to see from that description, it can't have been the same one as me

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
At 2-0 up in a seriously tight promotion battle you play the percentage game and that is why Hughton has a great track record of getting teams promoted in this division.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Brentford had a spell of possession just after the 2nd half kicked off but as others have said, they didn't do much with the ball in terms of goal threats. When you look at the statistics the BBC provide, Brentford only had one shot on target and that was in the first half, so I would say that Hughton got his tactics right. For those that left early, we scored 3 goals and did not concede any.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35435908

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I honestly thought it was just a matter of time before they would score in the last 10 mins as we hung on yes we had chances but the majority went to Brentford and if not for a very bad miss and a few last ditch tackles could have got a goal.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I honestly thought it was just a matter of time before they would score in the last 10 mins as we hung on yes we had chances but the majority went to Brentford and if not for a very bad miss and a few last ditch tackles could have got a goal.

And equally we could easily have been 6 or 7 goals to the good by that point too with the 2nd half tactics we employed - I suppose it depends if you are always negative and fearing the worst when it comes to the team or whether you trust a vastly experienced manager who has a track record of promotion from this division to be able to get his tactics spot on, which he did.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And equally we could easily have been 6 or 7 goals to the good by that point too with the 2nd half tactics we employed - I suppose it depends if you are always negative and fearing the worst when it comes to the team or whether you trust a vastly experienced manager who has a track record of promotion from this division to be able to get his tactics spot on, which he did.
Agreed.

We could have had a cricket score last night with all our chances.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Threads like this simply illustrate either that some posters like a good wind up or the fact that whatever you do someone will always moan and complain at something.

Either way, :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here