Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TABLET iNFO

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I think that I am going to buy the tapatalk app for my wife's tablet to see how it works before deciding on a tablet for myself

I heard about an iPad mini 2 coming out soon & another iPad. Also you have got the new nexus 7 plus Tesco have just released a "family tablet" at a decent price 0f 119 or the kindle HD from amazon.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Fair enough. There is a big choice of tablets at the moment. I have the iPad 2 and loved it at first. Then I saw the iPad mini and was very impressed with the size and how light it is.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm in the market for a tablet once the money comes 'rolling' in. Ex-student. I'm not that impressed by iPads. It seems that a lot of the apps need to be purchased and a lot of them are American-centric or am I being unfair? My android phone seems to be able to pick up vast swathes of useful apps without having to pay anything or very little, at least.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I'm in the market for a tablet once the money comes 'rolling' in. Ex-student. I'm not that impressed by iPads. It seems that a lot of the apps need to be purchased and a lot of them are American-centric or am I being unfair? My android phone seems to be able to pick up vast swathes of useful apps without having to pay anything or very little, at least.

Regarding to paying for apps I would say all the basic apps are free, but obviously depends what you use it for. The games from the App Store can vary from being free or for a cost, but what I noticed when I had a android phone is that a lot of games are free on android. But then if you compare it with apple that exact game will cost money.

I have only purchased a few apps of which have been games. But if you wanted to use it for work you might want to go with android as I'm sure you can get a programme for free to run it on.

Hope that helps, not the best advice though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Perhaps (with a deep breath as an android fan) you are a trifle unfair. I think the iPad has some really great apps, some of which are not available for android. However the past eighteen months has seen Google catching up with the nexus at an amazing price and plenty of other decent cheaper options. I use my tablet for almost everything I used to use a computer for with little or no problem. I've not paid a fortune for apps and usually when there is an app I fancy, it's available either as a trial or in a lite version so I can see if it it's any good. The American thing is a little annoying. I am not too upset about it though, i imagine that feeling is similar to the one the Scots feel although without the hefty chip on shoulder!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i use a samsung tab 3 7inch for basic stuff and shoving in my kitbag for when i hav my daily coffee at macdonalds ...serves its purpose and picked it up for 140 on a deal....i dont find 7 inch a problem

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Well I think the iPad is completely fine for that. You wouldn't have to pay for any apps to make purchase apart from the actual product you buy obviously.
But it's quite expensive for the iPad but worth it. Recently I have been looking at getting a smaller tablet I.e the google nexus 7(2013) only wanting something smaller as it can get a tad heavy whilst in bed plus awkward to hold whilst laying down and feeling sleepy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The problem is the Hudl like the Nexus and many others are only 7inch and I want a 10inch so am in a dilemma. I do not think the use I will get out of it warrants buying an Ipad, so looking for an alternative.

Seriously, buy an iPad.

Have you noticed your tendency to buy no-name brands and those without a high street presence, in order to try to get some price advantage which only bites you back later on when you run into technical problems when the quality turns out not as good as Apple's?

Your tech-related threads on NSC are a testimony to this false economy of trying to cut corners!

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seriously, buy an iPad.

Have you noticed your tendency to buy no-name brands and those without a high street presence, in order to try to get some price advantage which only bites you back later on when you run into technical problems when the quality turns out not as good as Apple's?

Your tech-related threads on NSC are a testimony to this false economy of trying to cut corners!

Another Apple fanboy!:p

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I too have a Nexus 7 and must say that previous I had two "china" ones. Both were fine but not anywhere near the same league as the Nexus. I totally love it

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I've just bought an IPad Mini and it's fab! I did have a Nexus 7 which are fab too. The best ones are quad-core rather than dual-core as they are faster. The new Tesco one has a quad core processor.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'll be in the market soon for a tablet jobbie - is there a decent compare / review site - eg Which? that will help?
My main criteria are a) screen must be easily readable in bright sunlight b) must run Windows o/s c) 8 hr battery life

Anyone any personal experiences?

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I just recently brought a Nook I got it for £130 for 16GB HD model - for what I use it for it's the business! surfing the web, twittering, NSC, Emails and watching TV and films - it's not the most powerful of devises and at 7inch it's nice and compact and the battery life is pretty good. I hear the Hudl which went on sale Monday is £99 so this is really going to start the price war for tablets - there are deals around to get it for less than £100 with cashback.. if you want to get a deal I'd wait for a week or so to see how other retailers / manufacturers react to this.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I'll be in the market soon for a tablet jobbie - is there a decent compare / review site - eg Which? that will help?
My main criteria are a) screen must be easily readable in bright sunlight b) must run Windows o/s c) 8 hr battery life

Anyone any personal experiences?

Money saving expert is a good place to start

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here