Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Syncronized dies in the national

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
If you feel the Grand National should be banned sign the petition. /www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ban-the-race/

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Horses can mend after a broken leg if the owners want to and can be bothered to pay the cost.

Seabiscuit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What happens to all these horses soon after being retired ?

Have a read up on that if you are concerned about these horses and the love their owners and trainers really have for them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Have a read up on that if you are concerned about these horses and the love their owners and trainers really have for them.

I understand it's the same with Greyhounds too. Forget about the fox, see how many hounds get a bullet in the head every year at half their natural life span.

I don't particularly care for Horses, Foxes or Hounds - what annoys me is the bleating from supporters of sports involving animals who claim to love the animals in their care when an issue is highlighted.

They are all examples of animals being used for a human pursuit that generates money and gives people a livelihood.

Just be honest, as honest as I am when I bite into a burger.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just be honest, as honest as I am when I bite into a burger.

It's different for cows.They deserve everything they get. They get well Bolshy when I walk across fields with my fishing gear. Nearly had me in the Arun on more than one occasion. I eat half pounders just because of that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Where did you research that? I make it 11 since 2000, including Synchronised and According To Pete yesterday, and also Graphic Approach, who was put down about a week later.
Yearly totals:
2000 none
2001 none
2002 two
2003 one
2004 none
2005 none
2006 one
2007 one
2008 one
2009 one
2010 none
2011 two
2002 two

Pretty sure there's been a maximum field every year, so that means 520 starters. Death rate is 2 per cent or, alternatively, survival rate is 98pc. What's the survival rate in bull fighting? I think it's pretty much the same as the survival rate in beef farming. Do you see the difference now?

Overall in GB last year, there were 181 racecourse deaths from a total of 94,776 starts, which is 0.19pc. There's no doubt that the National is the riskiest race of the year, it's just a question of whether that higher risk is acceptable, in one race out of 10,000 each year, in view of the pleasure and excitement it brings to millions.

My view would be yes, but only just. If yours is no, fine, don't bet on it, but don't accuse others of hypocrisy if they take the opposite view, at least for as long as you're still munching your burgers. Also, don't think for a moment that people in racing don't care about horses being killed, because I can promise you that it is the one thing everyone involved with it hates about the sport. There are, though, many benefits which outweigh the - very occasional - misery of fatal injuries, one of which is simply being involved with beautiful animals which were born and bred to race.

I think the figure relates to horses that have run that course, rather than the race itself. The figures are out there. I don't want to see the race banned, just admit it's a national sporting event where it is highly likely that a death of a horse will occur. Even your figures prove that.

Just be honest about the Grand National.

Out of interest because I honestly don't know, what happens to retired race horses. There must be thousands a year ?

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's different for cows.They deserve everything they get. They get well Bolshy when I walk across fields with my fishing gear. Nearly had me in the Arun on more than one occasion. I eat half pounders just because of that.

I fell over a cow once in the dead of night. It's a long story but does involve alcohol. The cow was quite understanding as it goes.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

We re-home ours.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really knowing much about this has the race just been very unlucky to have two horses die two years running or is it the actual course that is the issue ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not really knowing much about this has the race just been very unlucky to have two horses die two years running or is it the actual course that is the issue ?
Speed, big fields and fences allied with firmish ground.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Speed, big fields and fences allied with firmish ground.

So basically the same set of circumstances has happened two years running but is the ground the main reason ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So basically the same set of circumstances has happened two years running but is the ground the main reason ?
I haven't any exact figures, but I'd say as a general rule that the harder the ground is the greater the danger to the horse and rider. Less give in the ground on impact.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I haven't any exact figures, but I'd say as a general rule that the harder the ground is the greater the danger to the horse and rider. Less give in the ground on impact.

So firmer ground is due to drier weather - perhaps this should be compensated more with smaller fences

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I thought the above reply was truly hilarious, until this happened;

I fell over a cow once in the dead of night. It's a long story but does involve alcohol. The cow was quite understanding as it goes.

Fantastic pair of posts.

With regards the thread, people base their opinion on horse racing on the National. Which is the most extreme race of the year, and isn't a fair basis for ajudgement on the entire sport. Watch it all year round, and then form your opinion. Or, accept that your opinion is based on unreliable evidence.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You feel for the owners? The same owners who knowingly send their horse out to run in a race that could potentially kill something they love. Would they send their children out to somewhere they knew they might die? They love money and status more than they love that horse.

which is why horses are shot when they break a leg.....as many racing fans and experts on here have said it is not commercially viable. Now my dad's ex race horse wasn't rideable for the last few years of it's life but my parents kept him.....this wasn't commercially viable as it was costing money and time to look after him, not to mention vets bills.

This to me is an example of owners loving their horse rather than loving what their horse can do for them in terms of cash. Racehorse owners do not love horse, they like to ones that win them races, how else do we account for the 'wastage'?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This to me is an example of owners loving their horse rather than loving what their horse can do for them in terms of cash. Racehorse owners do not love horse, they like to ones that win them races, how else do we account for the 'wastage'?

Which is my point as well. I don't have a particularly problem with it, but like fox hunting it's the part of the sport that no-one wants to talk about in this country. Why ?

I'd more respect for the honesty. No-one in the meat industry attempts to make out that the animals don't get live on after they have served their purpose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here