Syncronized dies in the national

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yeah its becoming to dangerous and i dread to think what the owners think as it should be the biggest day to look forward to.Can't understand why they can't reduce the sizes of the fences,what is it 7 foot?

They already have after last year, which has resulted in less horses being but down i believe this year.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I think the ground is more than a problem than the fences. It's seems so much harder/faster out there than years back

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
yes its all vey sad, but it really annoys me when people who know nothing/little about Horses and Racing voice opinions such as these, please do some more research

What more research is there to do ? Two animals have died during a race which sadly claims lives every year. It's time that this particular race (and any others that have such a record) were either made safer or abolished.
I don't believe one has to know all the ins and outs of horse racing to have an opinion (in the same way one didn't need to have a sugar plantation to know slavery was wrong) and, in my opinion, the Grand National is a cruel anachronism.

D

Deleted member 18477

they should reduce the number of jumps IMO. i watched the race and thought jesus christ 30!!!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
What more research is there to do ? Two animals have died during a race which sadly claims lives every year. It's time that this particular race (and any others that have such a record) were either made safer or abolished.
I don't believe one has to know all the ins and outs of horse racing to have an opinion (in the same way one didn't need to have a sugar plantation to know slavery was wrong) and, in my opinion, the Grand National is a cruel anachronism.

A livorno player died on the pitch today, about time we knocked football on the head as well.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Every time a horse dies at the National there are calls to end this barbaric spectacle.Oh,yes,let's do that ,and then we can all go to the countryside to see the nice horses romping around the fields having a brilliant time whilst their owners ply them with victuals ,house them and lavish vet care upon them for no return other than the jolly niceness of it all.

Or perhaps there would be a lot fewer horses,and a lot more dog food.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Humans are making them jump, and in a gruelling competition that always sees fatalities.
It's as reliable as bullfighting, that a quadruped or two will die for the purposes of entertainment.

so you would ban totally horseracing, greyhound racing, polo, show jumping etc?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A livorno player died on the pitch today, about time we knocked football on the head as well.

Not the same thing at all. Football isn't intrinsically dangerous but even if it was, the participants make an informed decision to play. I have no problem with dangerous sports like Rugby, Boxing or motorcycling where the players are free to choose but racehorses have no choice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The first rule of Horse Racing : No one is allowed to say anything critical of Horse Racing.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Not the same thing at all. Football isn't intrinsically dangerous but even if it was, the participants make an informed decision to play. I have no problem with dangerous sports like Rugby, Boxing or motorcycling where the players are free to choose but racehorses have no choice.

Not true at all. If a horse refuses to run or jump it will.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Every time a horse dies at the National there are calls to end this barbaric spectacle.Oh,yes,let's do that ,and then we can all go to the countryside to see the nice horses romping around the fields having a brilliant time whilst their owners ply them with victuals ,house them and lavish vet care upon them for no return other than the jolly niceness of it all.

What ? 40 handicappers would lose 1 race to run in and would still run loads of times a season !!

Ban the National and there'd be 'a lot fewer horses'

Do me a favour !!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sad news, I was surprised how many went down after the changes made this year

The concept of the Grand National is for the best jumping racehorses to race over a long distance and difficult fences , perhaps the race should be shortened to 1m6f and fences replaced with hurdles ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not true at all. If a horse refuses to run or jump it will.

If a horse decides not to jump a fence in some cases the jockey will end up catapulted over it

Has there been a National when a horse did NOT die?

20 horses have died as a result of racing on the Grand National course, since 2000.

Last edited:

northampton_seagull

Jun 17, 2008
Northampton

I have seen lots races where a horse refuses to start. If they dont want to run they will not run.
I have seen lots of horses refuse to jump an obstacle. if they do not want to jump they will not jump.

I dont understand why you think boxing, a sport in which people train to cause serious damage to another opponent, the whole point to try and knock them unconscious to win, is better than horse racing.
The aim of horse racing is not to cause serious injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports