Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Swindon Town - 18th in League Two

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My other memory of that game, is that I placed a bet on us winning at one of the booths inside the concourse.

At full time after we had won, the booths were closed. It turned out, there was no way to collect your winnings. It wasn't a recognised firm. Total scam. And the stewards knew about it, they were just laughing at me while I was remonstrating with them.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've always held a quite irrational dislike for Swindon. It's a crap town in the middle of an otherwise quite attractive county. Every game I've ever been to down there has featured homophobic abuse, which is poor at the best of times but somehow even worse in a West Country accent. They've always fancied themselves as a potentially big club, despite absolutely no evidence to support that delusion. Duncan Shearer was a Swindon player when he smashed Nicky Bissett's leg to pieces back in the day. Mooney, Parkin and the rest got what was coming to them for giving it large in that play off game, and it was delicious.

I'm with David Brent in his views of "the Swindon lot".
You are not alone.

Sometimes I feel I should get over it and feel a bit sorry for them due to their plight...

Hasn't happened yet though.

It would be easier if I wasn't acquainted with a vociferous Swindon fan, whose vitriol towards Brighton has always bubbled away, but scaled fresh heights after Adam VIrgo's finest moment.

Earlier this season he was very vocal in a WhatsApp group at half time (1-4) when Swindon went to Wrexham. Less so at full time (5-5, with 2 Wrexham goals after 90 mins was up) :lolol:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Yep, Tranmere fans still talking about sneaking into the play offs. Currently one point ahead of Swindon.
9 points isn't really 9 points in reality. If a team wanted to make up a difference of 9 points and climb the table from 18th to 6th, they would realistically have to win something like 6-8 games, i.e. you would need to accrue at least 3 times the points gap. In a nutshell a team in 18th place in February winning 6-8 games on the bounce and making the play offs is very unlikely

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I seemed to have formed an irrational rivalry with Swindon based on our playoff game 20 years ago but putting that aside Swindon must be a contender for biggest under achievers in English football. Big, predominantly working class railway town with the closest rival being Reading yet one solitary top flight season and 25 years out of the second tier.

If you were a foreign owner looking for a lowly club to play football manager with and push for the Premier league, Swindon must surely be one of the better teams to back.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
And who remembers the game ( was it play off first leg 03/04?) They were all over us most of the game and were singing you're just a town full of Nancy's!! Cue chippy scoring a deflected goal and us singing 1 0 to the Nancy Boys. Well that's how I remember it.
Yes that was delightful. I think that was the hottest I`ve ever been at a football match (Conversely the coldest Ive ever been at at football match is this season watching the under 21s beat Reading at the Amex a little while ago!) And I agree Swindon is a dump, and our play off win made up for my only previous visit in the 70s watching us lose 2-0 nil (I think), on a dismal winter saturday afternoon and having to listen to the dreadful Queen`s Bohemian Rhapsody.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I seemed to have formed an irrational rivalry with Swindon based on our playoff game 20 years ago but putting that aside Swindon must be a contender for biggest under achievers in English football. Big, predominantly working class railway town with the closest rival being Reading yet one solitary top flight season and 25 years out of the second tier.

If you were a foreign owner looking for a lowly club to play football manager with and push for the Premier league, Swindon must surely be one of the better teams to back.
They already they flirt with the top flight under Glen Hoddle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here