Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Swindon Town - 18th in League Two

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don’t often look at the lower league tables these days (forgotten where we came from) so was shocked to see our old friends Swindon so low. Weren’t they outraged that Gordon Greer had joined a smaller club or something? Or am I misremembering?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don’t often look at the lower league tables these days (forgotten where we came from) so was shocked to see our old friends Swindon so low. Weren’t they outraged that Gordon Greer had joined a smaller club or something? Or am I misremembering?
You are miss-remembering.

They were outraged it was a sideways move.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't far off at the time!
i think they mainly thought it was worse than sideways. Swindon has lost the play off final the season before and we’d finished 13th. Part of the reason they lost the final was Greer being suspended after being sent off in the semi final 2nd leg against Charlton.

By the end of the season it looked like a great decision by Greer as we were promoted as champions and Swindon finished bottom.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
……but they’re also only 9 points off the playoffs. The table is mad - only 3 points between 7th and 16th

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What the hell I'm gonna tell it again because it was so enjoyable.

On the train back from Manchester, this season, we were sat opposite 'Rockin Robin' (sadly not FKW) and chums, as they returned home from Salford.
Unsurprisingly 'Rockin' is a somewhat verbose, larger than life, character.

We weren't in colours so were left alone for most of the journey.
Eventually he did turn to us for our story, but even then didn't realise, although from Sussex, we were in Manchester to watch the Albion.

On hearing 'The Sussex Coast' Rockin got all misty eyed about Big Beach Boutique.

I teed up Jnr to ask "where were you on 20.05.04?".

A confused Rockin looked, thought, thought hard, until his face contorted and he let out a low guttural "Adam F##king Virgo".
This in turn caused all his mates to Pavlovian "Adam F##king Virgo", without even knowing why.

We bantered a bit more finishing with:-

"Who are you playing next"
"Grimsby"
"Oh, we've got Ajax"

"Adam F##king Virgo".

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
……but they’re also only 9 points off the playoffs. The table is mad - only 3 points between 7th and 16th
But another six points to Swindon in 18th. That said, they're not in trouble either.

I have relatives in Swindon who decided to go to a game this season in the FA Cup. They went 7 nil down to non league Aldershot eventually losing 7-4. Bizarre. One of them is coming with me to the Everton game on Saturday. Gulp.

Fun fact: Swindon have 73 year old Charlie Austin leading the line. Remember him?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
i think they mainly thought it was worse than sideways. Swindon has lost the play off final the season before and we’d finished 13th. Part of the reason they lost the final was Greer being suspended after being sent off in the semi final 2nd leg against Charlton.

By the end of the season it looked like a great decision by Greer as we were promoted as champions and Swindon finished bottom.
This is more my recollection.

This and a very well taken Matt Sparrow brace.
“Where’s your captain gone?”

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
They are still outraged that the game at the County Ground in the 76/77 season (I think) got waterlogged off at 1/2 time when they were 4-0 up. IIRC we were already promoted by the time the game was replayed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is more my recollection.

This and a very well taken Matt Sparrow brace.
“Where’s your captain gone?”
And a terrific midfield performance from young Jamie Smith, who Poyet raved over afterwards, and who then faded away and basically never played again :shrug:

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
They are still outraged that the game at the County Ground in the 76/77 season (I think) got waterlogged off at 1/2 time when they were 4-0 up. IIRC we were already promoted by the time the game was replayed.
I was at that one.
Brighton were awful, totally outclassed on the day.
The pitch was very wet but not unplayable, but when it started to snow around 70 minutes I think the ref fancied an early bath, and abandoned the match.
The Swindon fans were apoplectic, and their mood wasn't helped by the taunting from the Albion following.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

That first game of the season away at Swindon - Matt Sparrow scored 2 and we sang where’s your captain gone for most of it - remember seeing Bloom (I think) going mental in the Directors bit to the side of us when we scored!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And a terrific midfield performance from young Jamie Smith, who Poyet raved over afterwards, and who then faded away and basically never played again :shrug:
Think we got him from the scum…?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Strange one that, weirdly hung around the club for quite a long time making it into the Amex era. I always thought he looked quite good but with the midfield talents that season it wasn't a surprise really. Was also there for along time pre that game, appeared at the 7-1 at Huddersfield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Think it was also Ankegren's debut? And he upset the Swindon fans with some comedy timewasting?
Except it wasn't actually 'time-wasting' as the ball was IN PLAY. Casper just stood there with his foot on the ball, while their players stood on the halfway confused as to why he wasn't wellying it down the pitch - and their fans all screamed for a referee / policeman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here