Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sweet Caroline - why?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can't stand it, but there we go. Big lulls all the way through that have people shuffling about mumbling and just don't connect with it in any way as a football song. Maybe Three Lions just resonates more with some people because of the memories but life moves on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was an OK song, but I've grown to hate it - every karaoki, every open mic, and every not-very-good pub band, all of them never fail to trot it out, often badly, with everyone joining in with enthusiastic "Ba ba ba's". Yuk - I've had more than enough of it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you want tunes that are ideally suited to terrace chants Neil Diamond's back catalogue is a veritable goldmine.

A club anthem sung to the 'Song Sung Blue' tune would be awesome, especially as it has a repeating canon.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
From BBC web site

But the first hint of its potential as a sporting crowd-pleaser came in the late 1990s when it was played during a Boston Red Sox baseball game for an employee who had named her newborn Caroline.

The Red Sox decided it was good luck, and started playing it every week from 2003. In 2013, the singer pledged all future royalties from the tune to a charity supporting victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It does seem a strange choice for England fans.
I wouldn't actually sing it because it reminds me of reading fans and it was always a bit cringey when they sang it.

I got the impression it was something the FA was trying to get the fans to sing to stop any"ten German bombers"songs starting up which would affect the world cup bid so they played sweet Caroline through the tannoy to get the fans to sing along too.
ITV banging on about the song last night made me even more suspicious that it was an official FA directive of creating an image.
I used to think the band did the same thing of controlling the narrative of the chants when the FA banned some of the old ones.

Footballers themselves seem to love the song as we have seen here at Brighton and Southgate mentioned last night that it's a favourite of the players in the England camp which may be why it was picked to be played on the tannoy.

I read somewhere that villa fans sang it recently so maybe a few villa fans started it for grealish.

However it started I think it's a bit odd for fans to sing But the fans that are singing it seem to enjoy it and the players like it so if it helps then it can't be a bad thing.

Could be worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpavz0uL88

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Diamond is a fairly straight forward songwriter, there aren't hidden allegories or metaphors. He basically wrote a song for his wife Marcia but couldn't get Marcia to rhyme. He wrote it when Caroline Kennedy was just 7, it didn't get recorded and released till she was 12, Caroline is 3 syllables so worked - that is about the extent of it.

Couldn't get Marcia to rhyme?

Marcia, I really Fancy ya....

Marcia, do you drive a Tractor?

Marcia, want a bowl of pasta?

perhaps Im a genius and perhaps this song writing lark is a easy. Im writing a song for when we win Sunday - Ill be RICH

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Couldn't get Marcia to rhyme?

Marcia, I really Fancy ya....

Marcia, do you drive a Tractor?

Marcia, want a bowl of pasta?

perhaps Im a genius and perhaps this song writing lark is a easy. Im writing a song for when we win Sunday - Ill be RICH

Mar See Uh

Not Mar Seeya

or Mar Seeyer

Or Mar Seeya (you did that one earlier)

If you want to make a few bob as a lyricist, take a leaf out of the Book of Geezer, who wrote this unforgettable rhyming couplet:

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses

(War Pigs by Black Sabbath, in case you're desperate for a listen) :thumbs: :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here