Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sweet Caroline - why?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's good that we can sing a 'fun' song as opposed to some faux-patriotic bollocks. I think it's actually very 'English'. During the North Africa campaign in WW2 British and Commonwealth soldiers amused themselves by singing songs like "You can't **** Farida if you don't pay Farouk" and "Bless 'em All". The Germans on the other hand went in for tubthumping nationalistic songs, and their spies reported that the British and their allies were so lacking in patriotic and moral fibre that they would be a pushover in battle.

Keep the tubthumping nationalistic song for the anthem. (And ditch GSTQ which is the British anthem)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I must admit that I'd long since suspected that Jerusalem was a bit of a pisstake on Blake's part. Thing is, the tune is just so damn good you can't help getting roused and aroused by it and soon you're not far off actually believing that this bloke who didn't exist built something that didn't exist where he didn't. Cracking tune.

Sweet Caroline is great as well, but I prefer Rhinestone Cowboy.

Or Avenues and Alleyways.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Diamond is a fairly straight forward songwriter, there aren't hidden allegories or metaphors. He basically wrote a song for his wife Marcia but couldn't get Marcia to rhyme. He wrote it when Caroline Kennedy was just 7, it didn't get recorded and released till she was 12, Caroline is 3 syllables so worked - that is about the extent of it.

Not the full picture tbf

In a 2007 interview, Diamond stated the inspiration for his song was John F. Kennedy's daughter, Caroline, who was eleven years old at the time it was released.[3][4] Diamond sang the song to her at her 50th birthday celebration in 2007.[5] On December 21, 2011, in an interview on CBS's The Early Show, Diamond said that a magazine cover photo of Caroline Kennedy as a young child on a horse[6] with her parents created an image in his mind, and the rest of the song came together about five years after seeing the picture.[7] However, in 2014 Diamond said the song was about his then-wife Marcia, but he needed a three-syllable name to fit the melody.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think the Wembley grass should be mowed in the shape of a lion.

I thought I dreamed that we just made a major final for the first time in my lifetime and we are discussing this??

Gotta love football fans.

Isn’t the Wembley turf fugged because the Aussie company who charged us a billion to build it didn’t factor in minimal sunlight reaching the pitch because of the height of the stands? (or similar)

As for Sierra Charlie (Sweet Caroline) you just cannae beat a slice of Neil D. Even the radio station for pretentious Brighton music snobs, BBC Radio 6, were blasting out SC this morning.

First, they say they want you
How they really need you
Suddenly you find you're out there
Walking in a storm
And when they know they have you
Then they really have you
Nothing you can do or say
You've got to leave, just get away
We all know the song...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here