Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing!!

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
My dear old Mum whom I live with still threatens to wash my mouth out with carbolic soap should I sware

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I sit in ESU with my 11 year old son and 74 year old dad - my dad utters the odd bo**ocks and bu**er -my son realises it is just grandad voicing his opinion . My son knows not to swear and as yet hasn't (to my knowledge) - for me it is not swearing that I necessarily have an issue with but more the sentiment behind it. For example a frustrated sh*t or bu**er is ok but must admit an aggressive c bomb or repeated w*nker I am not so happy about. But hey ho it is football so as others have said it should be about passion

I too sit in ESU, and do on occasion swear, usually after what I considered (very arrogantly!) to be a bad refereeing decision, but along with all the other groans, it is barely heard. I would not get up and in full view and hearing of everyone else, launch into a whole tirade of anglo - saxon four lettered expletives, which in this part of the ground is rare. That satisfies my conscience, but do accept that the argument falls down when the lady in front can presumably hear me - she has renewed her ST, so can't be too bad! Perhaps it is just one of life's imperfections? Ideally, no swearing, which would be the purist's view, but life is simply just not like that, particularly in the heat of the moment during such a passionate sport which means so much to us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why then are we not allowed to swear on here without the asterixes?

That's to do with our placing on Google searches and ad revenues etc, I believe. Something along those lines.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Having gone through this myself with two kids I now think that it's a great introduction for kids to situational swearing.

Even though we're in the family stand we often here various forms of swearing, from mild to extreme, on a bad refereeing decision or opposition player rolling about on the floor when they were hardly touched. And I've explained to the kids that this is okay: there's a lot of emotion about, people are genuinely upset, and they let it out. And I've also explained that you don't use the same words in every day speech to make yourself look clever, because all it makes you look is stupid.

This has seemed to work for mine: they'll let out the occasional (very mild) swear word when watching the game but very rarely outside of it, and seem to understand the difference. Probably a better introduction to swearing than the "little kid looking big swearing in the playground" from whom most kids learn.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
P
Unfortunately it goes with the territory (football I mean). Most of us swear at matches in moments of stress, and Albion fans have had more than their fair share of that lately!

Although it doesn't bother me too much I do find it tedious that you always get a "Billy Big Bollocks" (pardon me!) with his mates whose vocabulary stretches to five words - guess which ones.

As I have now started to take my six year old grandson to watch the Albion, it would probably be wise to brief him about the wrongs and rights of swearing. After all, the last thing that I want him to do is say #**!!!*##?!!! in front of his mother and then say it was me he got it from! :rolleyes:

Oh no, the grandson from Hell! Not only swears like a trooper...but a GRASS as well ! :D

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've been taking my 8 year old daughter to Fulham for a few years where we sit in the family section. There's little swearing, with the swear words left out of rude songs about QPR. When we go to away games she asks me if I've heard the swear words. A bloke behind us at the Albion was ask to tone it down by another dad, but after our second went in my daughter asked me if we could go and sit up at the back of the Hammersmith Stand instead because she's loved the atmosphere, hopefully not the swearing. I've told her that she's NEVER to repeat the words she hears at football and ...touch wood... Is complying so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here