Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A good well placed swear word is part of our language and culture and can be effective, funny and even moving. Constant swearing is for the limited of vocabulary. One thing you can be sure of, there WILL be swearing in the North Stand. Always has been and always will be.

We moved seats in the WSU this season so that I could take my 8 year old and my mate his three kids who are a little older. An odd frustrated swear word comes out from those around us every now and again but they have made quite an effort to keep it toned down in the main. My boy has been told what happens at football stays at football but that he is not to swear himself. So far so good. I know I'm not taking him to the ballet though and, frankly I don't think I could even do mock offence if someone swore nearby.

"Amusingly" to get round one oft heard chant my mate told the boys to say "the referee's a plonker". Fine except that now they join in at the right time and most people can just hear them saying the same final syllable as the rude version :facepalm:

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I sit in the North stand and I take my daughter she's 9 and has been going for the past 2 years. We explained to her about the swearing that she would hear & she knows not to hear it. She explained to me that sometimes she hears worse when walking through town so it didn't really bother her

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
A good well placed swear word is part of our language and culture and can be effective, funny and even moving. Constant swearing is for the limited of vocabulary. One thing you can be sure of, there WILL be swearing in the North Stand. Always has been and always will be.

We moved seats in the WSU this season so that I could take my 8 year old and my mate his three kids who are a little older. An odd frustrated swear word comes out from those around us every now and again but they have made quite an effort to keep it toned down in the main. My boy has been told what happens at football stays at football but that he is not to swear himself. So far so good. I know I'm not taking him to the ballet though and, frankly I don't think I could even do mock offence if someone swore nearby.

"Amusingly" to get round one oft heard chant my mate told the boys to say "the referee's a plonker". Fine except that now they join in at the right time and most people can just hear them saying the same final syllable as the rude version :facepalm:

I remember when I took my eldest to Villa in the cup a few seasons ago and the whole of the Albion crowd were shouting "Winker, Winker" at Ashley Young...My lad thought we were shouting "wake up"

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Best swearing ever for me, was a very drunk Geordie sailor,
"F*****g f**k off, you f*****g f****rs
Genius

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

It's not really nescessary to swear with every other word, is it?
I don't swear in front of my children, and I don't expect friends to when we see them, but I also don't expect a hundred Brighton fans to change their day out when we're at the football. I like to be able to swear at the ref if I think he's got it wrong, or the opposition when they're cheating or a **** in general. As it is, I have to change at the football because I'm with my kids, but I don't expect others to - unless in the family stand, which is where you should be.

It really is a sign of a limited vocabulary.
I disagree. Stephen Fry disagrees too, and he thinks you're mad, silly and prissy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Oh fukcit, I've been fixtured :facepalm:

Last edited:

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I remember when I took my eldest to Villa in the cup a few seasons ago and the whole of the Albion crowd were shouting "Winker, Winker" at Ashley Young...My lad thought we were shouting "wake up"

It's a rite of passage for anyone who goes to football. That moment when you turn to the grown up with you and ask "what's a w**ke*?" My own moment came at Wembley in 1978 when 90,000 were loudly chorussing "we all agree Ali McLeod is a w**k*r.." There was no mistaking the word, as an 8 year old I must have heard it somewhere else but never given the meaning much thought until that moment.

A more amusing thread would be the explanations given by the adult companions - must range from the biologically descriptive (some are incapable of white lies) to some pretty downright impressive lying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Family stand is brilliant. There are so many things added-in to make the kids' day out. It really impresses me how it's set up.

I have no special issues with swearing and use a fair selection myself. In and around a football ground it's about appropriateness for all parties. North Stand and probably West Lower & Upper, the South end of the East and SWC is probably okay. Get a ticket there and expect it. You probably should be able to expect the north end of East, West Middle and the Ledge to be relatively profanity free (we all let slip the odd word). I don't especially object to swearing immediately outside but I do to oafish behaviour on public transport although from experience I seem to be in a minority as it is viewed as a rite of passage.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'll swear where I want!
I'll swear where I want!
You stupid *******!
I'll swear where I want!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...eases-make-c-word-go-mainstream-2015010594075

'Rail price increases make c-word go mainstream'

THE announcement of increased train ticket prices has caused millions to use the strongest possible expletive.

A 2.5 per cent increase in the cost of trains that are both horrible and unreliable triggered the use of the blunt anatomical term beginning with ‘c’ among those who previously considered it taboo.

Grandmother Mary Fisher said: “I am a nice lady who does volunteering and has a cottage with roses on it, so was shocked to hear myself describing train companies as ‘a bunch of effing c-words’.

“I despise bad language and wouldn’t normally say anything stronger than ‘damn’ even if I badly injure myself with secateurs while gardening.

“Now though the genie is out of the bottle and I am ****ing swearing my tits off.”

Around 4.8 million commuters will mutter the c-word this morning while purchasing tickets, with another 3.6 million opting for the milder ‘f*ckers’.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Doesn't usually bother me. I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there. I've been going to footie since the 70's so I know the score.

My littleun is getting into footie now, she is 7 and has been to Chelsea about half a dozen times with me and to Brighton on Boxing day. Taking her to Brigthon again on the 17th, the day of her Birthday as that is what she wants to do. I'm chuffed about that.

The swearing on Boxing Day from right behind me made me feel quite uncomfortable with my littleun being there. I never ever swear when she is about, I have tried explaining to her that it is just part of the football and that she will hear bad words and that she shouldn't use them....

I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

It's not really nescessary to swear with every other word, is it?

Sound parenting....lucky you a daughter that likes footy. Bit of advice, less Chelskie more Amex. :)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Move to the family stand my friend.

Our part of the Family Stand is normally very swear-free, except when the morons behind me decide to bring their mates instead of their kids.

They don't swear in front of their own kids, but are quite happy to do so in front of mine when they're treating their friends to a cheap day at the footie.

Yes, yes, I could have a word, call a steward, all the rest of it. But I go to football to escape aggravation.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The swearing in the "Respect" Stand, otherwise known as the East Stand is just as bad as anywhere else within the ground.

My two, 8 & 11, hear constant bad language in the East Stand football but know not to repeat it. When we're at the match I'll ask repeated offenders to be mindful of the youngsters but you're fighting against a tide of foul language, moronic statements and the stewards are too busy with "other issues".

To be honest though, non-league football seems to be worse!!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Some good posts there, thanks. Think I will have a bit more of a chat with her before the next game...Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the swearing in the heat of the moment if the ref has been a w@nker or if we have missed an absolute sitter...I just think this one individual was way over the top.

Guess I'm just a bit 'old school' with my manners, wouldn't generally swear with ladies around either...not ones I don't know anyway.

Then the first time he stood and, at full voice, called the referee a w@nker, I died a little inside. It had seemed a sensible way to approach the issue of swearing with a pre-teen but, in hindsight, I'd really have preferred it had I never had to hear him say it.
A few years back, on the occasion of NSC sponsoring a Ryman League game between Lewes and Redbridge, I was one of the NSC crew invited into the Lewes boardroom post-match as, indeed, were the Redbridge directors and the match officials.

I'm afraid I rather let the side down, by greeting the referee with the cheery, but very loud words: "Ah, you're the wanker in the black, good to meet you".

Refreshments had been taken.

Ubuntu

May 12, 2014
Philippines
Family stand here.. right up towards north stand, with two girls 5 & 7 ... both of them are now convinced that whenever a goal kick is taken, the traditional greeting is one of "oooooooohhhhhh... Your Sheep" ...

Other than that, we are close enough to get the atmosphere and far enough away that any songs are just a rough approximation of non-understandable noise (unless you actually know what is being sung)

Looking forward to the day I can explain exactly why the referee is indeed a winker.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear enough. What I meant was, you often hear people in everyday conversation (i.e. at the bus stop or down the pub), say something along the lines of "I was like ****ing at work and my ****ing mate was ****ing drunk, would you ****ing believe it?" Shouting "Oh ****", when Gardner's cross misses his man by thirty yards is a completely different matter.

I know a lad that used to be able to swear with in words, which was quite spectacular " it's a f@@king dafferf@kingdil init c@@t" was a much admired response to a question about a flower. Now that lad could swear properly!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Family stand here.. right up towards north stand, with two girls 5 & 7 ... both of them are now convinced that whenever a goal kick is taken, the traditional greeting is one of "oooooooohhhhhh... Your Sheep" ...

Quality, I'm gonna have to pinch that one...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here