Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansman "vs." Paul Barber

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No the lie was Timmy's initial post saying words to the effect of 'some maniac cyclist nearly killed my toddler son, fortunately I was there to defend him'.

When quizzed on the story the apparent danger slowly subsided, when his story was finally pieced together it became:-

He and his family were walking in the cycle lane.
The victim of the assault, while still some distance behind, rang his bell.
Timmy took great offense.
Took his manbag from his shoulder.
Took aswing at the victim.
Knocking him to the floor.

Timmy was lucky to not have an assault charge placed against him.

Something that might have ruined his then blossoming political career.

“Blossoming” [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Unbelievable ... still he has done one thing made me an even bigger Barber fan, the man must have the patience of a saint to deal with this rubbish

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thoroughly enjoying this, keep it up everyone.

Bit disappointed

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] You’ve let the swans down, you’ve let the seagulls down, but most of all, you’ve let yourself down.

Time to start following the Bluebirds :bigwave:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm not really getting the level of outrage expressed here. So the OP's actions may have been a little misjudged but do they really merit the level of mass condemnation that's being expressed on here?

I've seen some pretty unpalatable views expressed by certain posters in various threads over time which have quite rightly been condemned, but never to the the level that the OP's behaviour has and in most cases those unsavoury views weren't even punished with a ban. What the OP did wasn't remotely malicious or malignant so the way he is being ostracised in the manner he is makes me feel a little uncomfortable. All this talk of this thread unifying NSC is utter nonsence. I certainly don't want to feel unified with those posters who have expressed racist, islamaphobic or homophobic views or those who trivialise mental health issues, all of whom are still on here free to post their bile whenever they feel like it.

So [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] might be a little odd and his way of thinking and doing things doesn't align with what is considered normal but so what. From what little I know of him I think it's safe to say he's not a nasty person. I think a little perspective is called for. By all means call him out for what he's done if you don't agree with it but I think the general mass reaction is rather disproportionate.

The way this thread has developed brought to my mind this scene....

https://youtu.be/qLvGnro4Cgw

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It's not often that something happens on here that leaves me all but speechless, but you've done it.

Who the hell do you think you are?

I'm going to give you some time away from here because, frankly, I think you need it, and also because I'm hoping you find another club to attach yourself to.

I haven't trawled through this thread, but thankfully saw yours, on a random page choice.

I've never been Barber out's biggest fan, but now I want to marry the bloke!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not really getting the level of outrage expressed here. So the OP's actions may have been a little misjudged but do they really merit the level of mass condemnation that's being expressed on here?

I've seen some pretty unpalatable views expressed by certain posters in various threads over time which have quite rightly been condemned, but never to the the level that the OP's behaviour has and in most cases those unsavoury views weren't even punished with a ban. What the OP did wasn't remotely malicious or malignant so the way he is being ostracised in the manner he is makes me feel a little uncomfortable. All this talk of this thread unifying NSC is utter nonsence. I certainly don't want to feel unified with those posters who have expressed racist, islamaphobic or homophobic views or those who trivialise mental health issues, all of whom are still on here free to post their bile whenever they feel like it.

So [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] might be a little odd and his way of thinking and doing things doesn't align with what is considered normal but so what. From what little I know of him I think it's safe to say he's not a nasty person. I think a little perspective is called for. By all means call him out for what he's done if you don't agree with it but I think the general mass reaction is rather disproportionate.

The way this thread has developed brought to my mind this scene....

https://youtu.be/qLvGnro4Cgw

You may be missing that he doesn’t support the Albion and has never been to a game. Frame his post in that context

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Well I like [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Okay, his email to Barber was a bit weird, and I can see why people might be irritated by the implication that he was speaking on behalf of other fans.

But I don’t mind a bit of weirdness. Paul Barber is quite capable of looking after himself. He doesn’t need us to defend him from random emailers, and you can bet he is well-informed enough to recognise an unrepresentative opinion when he sees one, as his reply indicated.

If it was up to me we’d deploy a bit more humour and kindness, and a bit less condemnation, when dealing with people who have a slightly different approach to things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I like [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Okay, his email to Barber was a bit weird, and I can see why people might be irritated by the implication that he was speaking on behalf of other fans.

But I don’t mind a bit of weirdness. Paul Barber is quite capable of looking after himself. He doesn’t need us to defend him from random emailers, and you can bet he is well-informed enough to recognise an unrepresentative opinion when he sees one, as his reply indicated.

If it was up to me we’d deploy a bit more humour and kindness, and a bit less condemnation, when dealing with people who have a slightly different approach to things.

I like him too. His faux pas doesn’t warrant any personal attacks.

This was an immature act by [MENTION=15446]Swansea[/MENTION], that of an excited teenager who collated our grumbles and went to the CEO. Possibly hoping to impress us :facepalm:.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Well this thread is going really well :lolol:

To be fair its creating a lot of attention for NSC

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
You may be missing that he doesn’t support the Albion and has never been to a game. Frame his post in that context

I get that entirely. I also understand that he's more of a Potter supporter than a Brighton supporter which is a totally bizarre way of following a team but at least he's honest about it. For the time being he's an Albion fan, albeit a temporary one but who are we to expect his lifelong allegiance? He can set is own conditions as to how he chooses his football team. As I said in my previous post, he's a little odd but that's not a criticism merely an observation.

I'm also not agreeing with what he did I'm just questioning the level of outrage, condemnation and ostracisation. Does he really deserve to be made to feel as shit as he has probably been made to feel by the majority on here?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Give me strength. I honestly think it would be less embarrassing if I asked Paul Barber to do my kids' homework this weekend.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I get that entirely. I also understand that he's more of a Potter supporter than a Brighton supporter which is a totally bizarre way of following a team but at least he's honest about it. For the time being he's an Albion fan, albeit a temporary one but who are we to expect his lifelong allegiance? He can set is own conditions as to how he chooses his football team. As I said in my previous post, he's a little odd but that's not a criticism merely an observation.

I'm also not agreeing with what he did I'm just questioning the level of outrage, condemnation and ostracisation. Does he really deserve to be made to feel as shit as he has probably been made to feel by the majority on here?

Fair enough, and my brother in law supports certain managers not clubs. But for a “Potter supporter”, as you say, why does he feel the need to write to the CEO and Deputy Chairman to ask him a series of questions that have nothing to do with Potter? It’s bullshit.

I quite liked an earlier post that he’s smoking too much weed, which would make more sense to me.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
But for a “Potter supporter”, as you say, why does he feel the need to write to the CEO and Deputy Chairman to ask him a series of questions that have nothing to do with Potter?

Who knows? He seems to me a perfectly nice but slightly strange guy, but none of us knows him or what’s going on in his life/head. Given which, no need to hammer him too hard for a misjudged email, IMO. I hope he comes back after his ban with more (but better judged) randomness.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why was he banned ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Give me strength. I honestly think it would be less embarrassing if I asked Paul Barber to do my kids' homework this weekend.

Like this you mean:

Q: 25,000 football fans enter a stadium with 25,000 bottles of water.
How many bottles of water will have had their caps removed?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

F#chin Ell -. I got into trouble once for telling people on here how long Beram Kayak was gonna be out injured.

And I didn't even post a timescale. I only agreed with someone who actually posted it first and got it right.

Then you publicly post almost full email response of a personal email. I have a feeling you might be on his blocked list in the future.

It's not right to put all that out for "Public Consumption "

It was nice that probably his secretary took the time to respond to you but putting it all on a Public Forum was ill advised.

I always asked not to be informed of things until they were already due to hit the Press because I knew there was always the possibility I would get drunk and not keep it to myself. The only transfers in that I hinted on before they broke were Jamie Murphy's and Maty Ryan's and wit Maty's I was drunk and thought it was gonna be announced hour later.

I actually think you have probably lost any Goodwill you might have struck up with a well composed email to the Club by posting the contents of the reply on here.

You could have slipped his responses in gradually in separate posts on all the subjects as and when the topics cropped up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here