Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Northants - match thread***

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I spent most of my early teenage years trying to bowl faster and faster.........then started village cricket at about 14 and very quickly realised line and length was actually better, and at 5-9 I was never going to be properly rapid anyway. Luckily it was exactly that point I realised I could swing it..........which I then concentrated on, but the occasional delivery where I really put my back into it surprised a few.

I can barely chuck a pie down now. If I could still bowl I would LOVE to be playing, but not being able to is so frustrating.

I'm 6'3", so always felt like I should have been able to bowl faster than I could. On the odd pitch that had a consistency firmer than cold porridge I could get a bit of bounce, but I generally got wickets by the ball passing underneath the batman's wild mow across the line.

Every spring I mean to get back into it, but something (bad back, work, forgetfulness, covid) gets in the way. I think I'll switch to spin when I do get around to it, since I doubt I'll have put on a yard of pace over the course of 10years drinking and sitting in front of a computer. I expect I'd enjoy it more now, since I was a moody teenager who played cricket because I disliked it less than I hated doing everything else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I spent most of my early teenage years trying to bowl faster and faster.........then started village cricket at about 14 and very quickly realised line and length was actually better, and at 5-9 I was never going to be properly rapid anyway. Luckily it was exactly that point I realised I could swing it..........which I then concentrated on, but the occasional delivery where I really put my back into it surprised a few.

I can barely chuck a pie down now. If I could still bowl I would LOVE to be playing, but not being able to is so frustrating.

First game of the Parham season on Sunday 13th. I’m at least two short. Go on. You know you want to...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm 6'3", so always felt like I should have been able to bowl faster than I could. On the odd pitch that had a consistency firmer than cold porridge I could get a bit of bounce, but I generally got wickets by the ball passing underneath the batman's wild mow across the line.

Every spring I mean to get back into it, but something (bad back, work, forgetfulness, covid) gets in the way. I think I'll switch to spin when I do get around to it, since I doubt I'll have put on a yard of pace over the course of 10years drinking and sitting in front of a computer. I expect I'd enjoy it more now, since I was a moody teenager who played cricket because I disliked it less than I hated doing everything else.

Are you actually in Sheffield? I desperately need to recruit some more rubbish / average players for our rubbish / average, but friendly Sunday team, in West Sussex...

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Are you actually in Sheffield? I desperately need to recruit some more rubbish / average players for our rubbish / average, but friendly Sunday team, in West Sussex...

I am unfortunately, albeit I'm down in Sussex fairly regularly to see family (I am at the moment actually).

If you're desperate enough to ask somebody who's not played for 10 years and says they were that crap in the first place to turn out, send me a fixture list and I'll see what I can manage.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had a great technique towards fast/medium.

Unless stupidly wide let the bloody thing go and hope it doesn't hit either me or the off stump - with any luck they'll put a spinner on soon...

I was one of those weird people who preferred facing fast bowling and hated spinners. I once batted for 12 overs against two seriously quick bowlers. In that time they'd sent two people to hospital (the keeper was too close and got one on the bonce and my fellow opener had his thumb broken) but I saw them off ... and promptly hit the first ball from a dobby off-spinner to short mid-wicket.

Spinners always got me out :down:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was one of those weird people who preferred facing fast bowling and hated spinners. I once batted for 12 overs against two seriously quick bowlers. In that time they'd sent two people to hospital (the keeper was too close and got one on the bonce and my fellow opener had his thumb broken) but I saw them off ... and promptly hit the first ball from a dobby off-spinner to short mid-wicket.

Spinners always got me out :down:

I’m absolutely with you on this. If they bowl quick, get anything on it and it flies away for runs - barely matters if you mistime it. Mistime a swing at a dobber, and get caught (in my case at mid on. Every. Bloody. Time)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am unfortunately, albeit I'm down in Sussex fairly regularly to see family (I am at the moment actually).

If you're desperate enough to ask somebody who's not played for 10 years and says they were that crap in the first place to turn out, send me a fixture list and I'll see what I can manage.

First two are both at home (Parham, near Storrington, on 13th and 27th June) :thumbsup:

C22EBEBA-0887-4741-AB27-38FC400CF786.jpeg

F76A3E72-81BA-4194-90B2-8F9AB1B5CA02.jpeg

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
First two are both at home (Parham, near Storrington, on 13th and 27th June) :thumbsup:

View attachment 137147

View attachment 137148

Ooh, nice ground. I feel like I'd be besmirching it.

I'm meant to be going to England v New Zealand on Saturday the 12th. On the one hand that's a good thing as I'm part way there, on the other it's bad as I was intending to drink far too much and get all silly. Also, they've not told me if I can actually attend yet. My point is, my plans for that weekend are a bit up in the air at the moment. I'll have to have a think about whether that works.

Nothing planned for the 27th June, so if you need somebody, sure why not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ooh, nice ground. I feel like I'd be besmirching it.

I'm meant to be going to England v New Zealand on Saturday the 12th. On the one hand that's a good thing as I'm part way there, on the other it's bad as I was intending to drink far too much and get all silly. Also, they've not told me if I can actually attend yet. My point is, my plans for that weekend are a bit up in the air at the moment. I'll have to have a think about whether that works.

Nothing planned for the 27th June, so if you need somebody, sure why not.

Nice :clap2:

I’ll send you a pm about the 27th.

The 13th is also actually the date of England’s first game at the Euros. I’m kind of expecting half of those who’ve agreed to play, to pull out when they realise...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Atkins and Crocombe looking good the first couple of overs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Decent effort from the Sussex bowlers. Northants all out 256. Shame about the 50 run tenth wicket stand, but conceding a lead of 81 is much better than it might have been.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In every match this season, Haines' second innings score has been lower than his first - he needs to break that sequence. We really need a big score from one of our overseas players this innings

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Northants commentator has just said confident start by Haines - that's the kiss of death for him

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Big session (32 overs) coming up for those with tickets for tomorrow. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Sussex 65-1, trailing by 16

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here