Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Northants - match thread***

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great rearguard from the young guns.

Plenty in the pitch for the seam bowlers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You won't hear me arguing.

If I'll go to my grave in my 90s, fat, with a bad back and gout, I'll still want to try and knock the batsman's head off.

Shame I was never good or fast enough to manage it :lolol::drink::drink::drink:

I was, 30 years ago!). Only really did it once (ball somehow went through the gap above the visor, and broke his nose). Felt pretty shit to be honest. Not to be recommended.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It must be beyond their control. Same basis on which I will drive to the ground with my wife and son - with whom I happily cuddle up on the sofa every night - but then will not be allowed to occupy adjacent seats in the open air...!! :)

Its not out of their control. They did not sell all available tickets

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I was, 30 years ago!). Only really did it once (ball somehow went through the gap above the visor, and broke his nose). Felt pretty shit to be honest. Not to be recommended.

From memory, I got it above hip high a couple of times. I choose to believe that the fact that the pitch was very obviously spiced up by rain at the time doesn't detract from my obvious brilliance.

The cunning set up of two bouncers followed by a full ball slid across from wide of the crease was rather undermined by the absence of a fielder anywhere near the slips to catch the edge :facepalm:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Its not out of their control. They did not sell all available tickets
I assume that there are special restrictions in place on the timing of ticket sales.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

The slow filth (meant to be offies) I sent down wouldn't have hurt a little old lady but on occasion one did go past to brush a thigh and there was a bit of howling, presume this is contractual for proper batsmen? :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A bit of a mini-fightback by Sussex as Northants end on 91-4. Clearly, we're going to concede a first innings lead but I doubt that it will be the 200+ that I was expecting earlier. You never know with Sussex though, we could see a 300 10th wicket partnership.

A good day for the kids but it's chastening to realise that Crocombe, a young bowler playing just his eighth FC game, scored more runs in that one innings than Head, a test batsman, has scored in his four innings so far.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A bit of a mini-fightback by Sussex as Northants end on 91-4. Clearly, we're going to concede a first innings lead but I doubt that it will be the 200+ that I was expecting earlier. You never know with Sussex though, we could see a 300 10th wicket partnership.

A good day for the kids but it's chastening to realise that Crocombe, a young bowler playing just his eighth FC game, scored more runs in that one innings than Head, a test batsman, has scored in his four innings so far.

Terrible start by Head . He looks like a walking wicket as soon as he pads up

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone fancy a sweepstake for the next Sussex batsman to score a double hundred.

He probably hasn't been born yet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

True. Hope Sussex can get amongst them tomorrow. Nowt wrong with that track.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Likewise. Was on the fast side of fast/medium in my late teens/early 20s (until I wrecked my rotator cuff in a social game - can barely get the ball to the batsman now) and drew blood a couple of times and teeth once. Didn’t enjoy it - much, much better to hurl up a ‘safe’ inswinging yorker and knock the middle peg backwards.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Likewise. Was on the fast side of fast/medium in my late teens/early 20s (until I wrecked my rotator cuff in a social game - can barely get the ball to the batsman now) and drew blood a couple of times and teeth once. Didn’t enjoy it - much, much better to hurl up a ‘safe’ inswinging yorker and knock the middle peg backwards.

I had a great technique towards fast/medium.

Unless stupidly wide let the bloody thing go and hope it doesn't hit either me or the off stump - with any luck they'll put a spinner on soon...

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

How come every other bugger on this board could bowl fast in their youth, while I was slogging away watching the ball dribble through ankle high? I had to appeal for a bowled once I hit the stumps so slowly.

I choose to believe I would have sped up if I'd kept playing past 16. I have no evidence to support this assumption.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How come every other bugger on this board could bowl fast in their youth, while I was slogging away watching the ball dribble through ankle high? I had to appeal for a bowled once I hit the stumps so slowly.

I choose to believe I would have sped up if I'd kept playing past 16. I have no evidence to support this assumption.

I spent most of my early teenage years trying to bowl faster and faster.........then started village cricket at about 14 and very quickly realised line and length was actually better, and at 5-9 I was never going to be properly rapid anyway. Luckily it was exactly that point I realised I could swing it..........which I then concentrated on, but the occasional delivery where I really put my back into it surprised a few.

I can barely chuck a pie down now. If I could still bowl I would LOVE to be playing, but not being able to is so frustrating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here